Author Topic: Cutaway  (Read 813 times)

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
Cutaway
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:49:24 pm »
After a year of searching for a guitar I like enough to buy as a replacement for my Faith BMV I still haven’t made up my mind
Think I might have found a candidate but it hasn’t got a cutaway, which my Faith has,
Thing is I’ve never heard anyone express the pros and cons of having a cutaway. I think I can guess the raison d’etre but how much more difficult is it to access the higher positions without one?
Just to clarify I’ve only actually reached these higher positions in the last few days for the first time. Pretty much an open position player still apart from barre chord practice.

Happy New Year

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
Re: Cutaway
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:30:04 pm »
If you plan on playing a lot of lead above the 12th fret then a cut away is very handy. If you never play
above the 12 fret you really don't need one. Barre chords don't need to be played above the 5th to 7th
frets because they repeat on the 5th string root.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
  • What was I doing?
Re: Cutaway
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 06:20:23 pm »
Absolutely, if you’re not going to be playing lead lines that high up don’t bother, without the cutout most people say the sound is richer, if you’re playing mostly acoustically then this matters but if you’re going to be playing plugged in then it doesn’t matter.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Get The Forum As A Mobile App