Author Topic: Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Standard - any comments?  (Read 4225 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Standard - any comments?
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2018, 09:22:48 am »
Very sound advise Close, makes sense. I don't know that I'll ever reach that level of expertise, finesse and refinement. If I hadn't set myself a goal to play in public I wouldn't be looking for a guitar with electronics.  I don't want to get into all the complexities of buying a mic etc, need to keep it simple. Losing the plot a bit with it all right now.

I didn't mean no electronics ... just not in-built.

Get an acoustic and have a quality sound ole pickup professionally installed.

What this means is you can still amplify by plugging in but your rather than pensive a designed-to-last a lifetime guitar isn't going to be rendered redundant by an integral pickup circuitry that may not last beyond a few years.

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2018, 10:55:01 pm »
I read this thread with a good amount of interest batwoman. The search for a guitar that speaks to your heart and soul. I can very much empathise with the quest !

My friends DavidP and DarrellW went through the whole saga with me on my Road Cases thread here ! ...

https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=42205.0

Look, I'm never going to big the thread up because, if you read it, that is the complete opposite of what I wanted, but there are some lessons in there !

I thought I wanted a particular guitar because I'd been led to believe that was what I needed. It turned out anything but ! It's like Harry Potter (in a roundabout wand way ) the guitar chooses you !

Pull up a chair, get a cup of tea, and read the thread above. It meanders (a lot!) BUT
I get there in the end.

My guitar soulmate was £38 and I love it !
"Oh no, it's not a Hofner, it's a Hobner" . WHAATTT !!!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 06:07:26 am »
I read this thread with a good amount of interest batwoman. The search for a guitar that speaks to your heart and soul. I can very much empathise with the quest !

Pull up a chair, get a cup of tea, and read the thread above. It meanders (a lot!) BUT
I get there in the end.

My guitar soulmate was £38 and I love it !

Got through a couple of pages then had things to do Troy, but I get the picture. I hope I don't have such a saga to tell.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2018, 06:12:29 am »
Today I went to a different guitar store and there I was steered to the Taylor family. Naughty salesman showed me one that literally brought tears to my eyes when he played it. It sang.  It's way out of my price range.

I found one I liked but it's so ugly. Was glossy (don't like gloss) had a cutaway (really dislike the aesthetic of this), timber colours that didn't please me at all, but she sang rather well.

Going to take the good advise given and enjoy the exploration.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2018, 04:31:03 am »
After playing a lot of guitars, none of which were right, I've just paid a deposit on my own custom made guitar.

I'm soooooo excited. I've know about the luthier for some time and was given a nudge by an experienced guitar playing friend to go see him. I'm so glad I did. My friend came with me and had some helpful things to say as well. He asked the questions I didn't know to ask.  The luthier took a great deal of time to measure things, have me try differing neck profiles, talk about stuff I would never have considered eg the height of a fret, looked at my hands, my build, the style of music I wanted to play ... the list goes on an on. He works with re-cycled Australian timbers none of which are on the endangered list. Carves his own bone nut and bridge. I could tell as I watched him handle the timbers he has a respect and love for his materials and the crafting of an instrument. He's building the guitar so it will grow with me eg he'll lower the action for now, but as my hands get stronger and I gain proficiency I can take it back and he'll raise the action. This is just one example. For all of this I'm paying  a bit more than I would have for the ugly Taylor that wasn't really what I wanted but was the best I'd heard.

I go for two 'fittings' before he completes her. He makes provision for changes to the neck profile and a heap of other stuff.

He won't get to start her for a month.

Once I have her I'll post a photo so you can admire her.

Excited.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 08:57:10 am »
Now that’s a great result, it will be unique and obviously crafted to suit you rather than the average person, it will definitely make the difference!
Using recycled materials as well is so much better than new timbers, they have already aged so should be much more stable, all good news...... Can’t wait to see (and hear) it!!!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 421
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 09:08:31 am »
Hey, that's fantastic. Good news and a great story in the offing.  :)

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 03:11:03 pm »
Wow this is a wonderful saga with an amazing ending coming up. I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing the final result, can't imagine how excited you must be!!
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2018, 12:04:02 am »
Now that’s a great result, it will be unique and obviously crafted to suit you rather than the average person, it will definitely make the difference!
Using recycled materials as well is so much better than new timbers, they have already aged so should be much more stable, all good news...... Can’t wait to see (and hear) it!!!

Thanks Darrell, I'm happy with the recycled timber, ticks an important environmental box for me. Also happy that I'm giving work to a local craftsperson. Hmmmm hearing her? That would mean I have to  play something as well as figuring out how to use my Zoom properly. You might have to be satisfied with a photo.  :D

Hey, that's fantastic. Good news and a great story in the offing.  :)

Thanks Close, it sure has been a bit of  a saga. Just hope I can lift my game enough to match her excellence.

Wow this is a wonderful saga with an amazing ending coming up. I'm really looking forward to seeing and hearing the final result, can't imagine how excited you must be!!

Thanks Mari, it's lovely having people like you with whom to share the excitement.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App