Author Topic: Zoom G1Xon Multi-Effects Pedal  (Read 1070 times)

Offline lisanagel59

• Good Vibes 0
Zoom G1Xon Multi-Effects Pedal
« on: December 29, 2017, 05:30:40 pm »
I am trying some experimentation with my electric guitar.  I am a on about Stage 6 of Justin's beginning guitar course and have done some extra work outside his courses.  I had no idea what I was looking for and being a beginner, wasn't sure what to get. I LOVE this pedal.  It is great for beginners.  Introduces us beginners to effects/pedals before spending a huge amount on individual pedals.  It is lots of fun, has rhythms, looper, tuner and expression pedal.  Super easy to use. it has 75 pre-loaded effects and you can lots more of your own. Just wanted to share since it might help someone with a choice when shopping for effects pedals. 
Would love to hear other's experience with this pedal!

Offline bo-jingle

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
Re: Zoom G1Xon Multi-Effects Pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 05:25:25 pm »
I am after a multi-fx pedal and am looking at:
Digitech RP1000 (seems superseded out of existence)
Digitech RP360XP

Zoom G3XN

Boss GT-1
Boss ME-80

Line 6 Firehawk

I don't really know which one I will buy.

(I cannot ever remember being a School Prom Hero)
Keep on jangling!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:22:08 pm »
The problem with buying Multi fx is there is stuff on there you might never use, I’ve recently got a couple of Donner 7 function fx pedals after watching ‘Intheblue’s reviews on them. They are really good especially for the price and they are well made!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=aw_s_fkmr0?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ADonner+pedals&keywords=Donner+pedals&ie=UTF8&qid=1515352376
Here’s one of the reviews, just look for the others if you are interested - this one is my favourite and was a must have 👍

My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:52:06 pm »
It depends on what you are after. Even if 80% of the effects don't get used on these pedals, they can still be a convenient way of setting up patches with different settings for different songs which can be selected at a tap of a pedal, rather than having to switch multiple pedals on/off or even having to mess around with pedal settings between songs.

They are also a great way to learn about effects and to work out which of the 20% are going to get used.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend individual pedals to a beginner or to anyone who was thinking about a multifx unit. Pedals are a very personal thing. Whatever you suggest, however, good, is highly likely to be the wrong thing for them. Ask 100 guitar players which individual pedal to buy and they will give you 200 different answers. It's doubtful they would even agree on which type of pedals to buy.

And setting up and powering a pedalboard with individual pedals can be a trial in itself.

A multifx unit is a great way to explore tones and to develop an understanding of what sort of sound you are after. At that point, they can go shopping for individual pedals (of they want) knowing what sort of thing they are looking for. Or, like many players who are wholly satisfied and comfortable with the technology, stick with multifx systems.

As for which one, that's largely preference, but a good point is that technology improves quite rapidly, and the newer the system the better the effects quality tends to be. Note that's not always true as companies like Line 6 tend to reserve the better technology for the top-of-the-range kit. So, for example, the Line 6 Amplifi range will not sound as good as the Helix.

But the Boss GT-1 uses the same generation of the "COSM" engine as the GT-100v2 which is relatively well regarded. The ME-80 has the older COSM technology which can still sound good, but generally isn't quite as good as the GT-100v2, nor does it have the range of effects or flexibility. For instance, on the GT interfaces you can control the order that effects are chained together, which can't be done on the ME-80.

Note that, even then, the GT-1 doesn't have all the same options as the GT-100v2 or GT-001. In particular you are limited to a single chain rather than the two effects chains on the GT-100v2 and GT-001. IoW it's a cut down version, but that also means it's easier to use.

I've heard good things about the Firehawk, and I believe it has the same engine as the Pod HD range, which are considered to be good.

The other things to consider is what you are using it for. The Zoom and the Digitech units have a drum machine and looper, which is great for practise use.

Most of the other units do not, or only have a basic looper. The Boss GT-1, for instance, does have a looper but not (IMO) one that works well in a performance situation, and it doesn't have a drum machine.

Another option, if and want something that gives you loads of effects, plus the ability to connect and control external pedals, amp channel switching, etc. then something like the Boss MS-3 would be a good option.

IMO that would be something more appropriate for a serious gigging musician rather than for a bedroom guitarist, where a Zoom, Digitech or Boss GT-1 would be more appropriate, and could still be used for occasional performance use.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:45:33 am by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline jono

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 07:54:07 am »
I have the digi box rp360 and although is a great little box I don't use it. It has been replaced by a old boss be5.
The rp360 has many features but are difficult to use when playing songs. If a song goes from distortion to chorus these need to be pre configured in separate patches and you need to press the footswitch perhaps a number of times to get the patch you want and you need to remember where each patch is. For example two up presses from distortion to chorus. One down press to compression, then when you are on compression how many presses was it to get back to chorus.
It is great for trying effects or for songs with only one or two setting but I find it too involved for playing which is a shame as it does sound good.
It is really easy to attach to a pc and record from though.
I suppose it did show me which pedals I would most use.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 08:45:32 am »
I LOVE this pedal.  It is great for beginners.  Introduces us beginners to effects/pedals before spending a huge amount on individual pedals...Would love to hear other's experience with this pedal!

I haven't owned any multi-effects pedals in a long time, but I think they're a solid choice as a first pedal for precisely the reasons you state: they give you an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the various effects, what they do, and how they can be used -- all at a reasonable price point.

Glad you're enjoying it!

Online Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 102
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:44:31 am »
If a song goes from distortion to chorus these need to be pre configured in separate patches and you need to press the footswitch perhaps a number of times to get the patch you want and you need to remember where each patch is. For example two up presses from distortion to chorus. One down press to compression, then when you are on compression how many presses was it to get back to chorus.

For performance use, IME this is mainly a matter of being organised and storing patches sequentially for songs in a set, even if some of those patches are repeats. Even with 3 patches for a more complex song, each setting should only be one or two taps away.

As an example, if you had a song with a clean flangy tone with lots of delay in the verse, an overdriven tone with no delay or flange in the chorus, and a high-gain lead tone with an autowah for the middle 8, this could be set up on three patches on a multifx unit, with one tap between each for a typical rock song structure. With traditional pedals you would need 3 taps between verse and chorus (one each for flanger, delay, overdrive), another 3 to go back to the verse, and two between chorus and middle 8 (boost, autowah).

And there's stuff that's difficult to do well with separate pedals, like switching between different delay settings (unless you buy multiple delay pedals) or synchronising multiple time-based effects.

Although for a gigging musician with a large setlist of songs with different effects settings, I can see why something with only 2-3 switches and a limited number of patches, like the RP360, probably wouldn't be ideal, but there are more capable multifx units with more banks/patches, more physical footswitches, and stompbox modes to allow you to turn on/off selected individual effects within a patch.

And there are units like the Line 6 Helix and the Boss MS-3 that let you combine external pedals with onboard multi-fx to give you the best of both worlds.

But for people just starting out with effects, who don't know exactly what they want yet cheap multifx units are units are invaluable.

By the way, isn't the Boss be5 a bass multifx pedal?

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App