Author Topic: Where Can I Store All My Recordings?  (Read 674 times)

Offline jtibbs97

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
Where Can I Store All My Recordings?
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:38:30 pm »
I've come to realize just how disorganized I am. I write a lot and never really finish any of it...my New Years Resolution is to actually complete my work. Anyway, I have lyrical ideas scattered around in several notebooks, my phone, laptop, my dad's laptop, etc lol.

Same goes for my recordings. Especially my recordings. Could anybody give me some pointers on where I could store my work that way it'll never get destroyed?

I started saving my music ideas, jams, progress and demos to Soundcloud...but there's a size limit, so I have 6 or so different accounts. If there's one place I could save it all (for free), please let me know.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: Where Can I Store All My Recordings?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 08:21:02 pm »
What's the limit on google drive?

Dropbox you get 1GB on their free plan IIRC, although I've somehow got 2.2GB and have never paid a thing.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 329
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 08:58:51 pm »
External hard drives.

Keep a mirror.

If you buy 3 4T drives you keep two local. They are a mirror. Then weekly swap one with the one stored off site ( safe deposit box, etc ). Then bring the stored one local and mirror it.

so basically you always have two copies and a 3rd that can only get a week out of date.

Each song gets a folder for DAW files.

Lyrics are up to you. Just try to store them in some logical place. Keep backups of all you rDAW software, plugins, serial numbers, etc..

Gone

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 168
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:11:36 am »
Expanding on TB-AV's idea; every now and then make DVD/Bluray/tape backups of important material, because HDD's are reliable, but they can break, and trying to retrieve data off a dead HDD is a VERY costly affair.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 85
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 01:38:29 pm »
What's the limit on google drive?

There is no limit on Google Drive for native Google documents. For song notes and lyrics, this would possibly be a good option.

This also has the advantage of being available from pretty much anywhere you can connect from, being revisioned, you can collaboratively edit with other people, and if the laptop or tablet crashes in the middle of editing, you won't lose what you've been editing.

(As an aside, a colleague of mine just lost around 20 pages of documentation when Microsoft Office crashed on him and corrupted the file - this should never happen with Google Docs).

If you ever decide to move away from Google Docs, you can download the lot.

Obviously recordings are going to take up space, especially in a DAW where it stores all of the edits, so storing these directly on Google Drive or Dropbox, etc. probably isn't sensible. But storing stems or masters of completed projects might be, especially if you want to share them with collaborators.

Note that most media has a finite lifetime. Hard drives, for instance, are guaranteed to fail. If you use them within their expected life of a few years or more, you will normally be fine, but make sure you have copies as, even within this lifetime, you can lose data.

CD/DVDs also have a finite life, although this tends to be much longer, typically measured in decades.

Any time you make a backup to a media, it's important to check that copy can be read back. A large number of backup problems occur not because the media has failed, but because the backup wasn't done correctly in the first place.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:21:25 pm by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App