Author Topic: Pick to Use for Acoustic Strumming  (Read 806 times)

Offline Stormya

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Pick to Use for Acoustic Strumming
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:57:14 am »
I am using a Jim Dunlop 46mm pick at the moment. When I strum slowly I like the quite warm smooth sound I get but it sounds more clicky the faster I get. Also the pick does turn in my hand and as yet I do not 'automatically' replace the pick to the correct position whil I'm strumming. I've read this comes naturally but not for me so far.

I've complicated things for myself a bit by reading all sorts of articles about the best pick to use and some swear by round edged thick picks, some by thin picks etc etc. For example the Jim Dunlop Nylon, Blue Chip (very expensive - are they worth paying for or are they just a rip off), Dunlop Primetone Standard, Dunlop Primetone Sculpted, Jazz 3 (very thick but some swear by them for strumming), Dragon's Heart, Herco

So I guess my first question is - Is there a generally accepted best pick type for acoustic rythm guitar strumming (I prefer a warmer smoother sound)?

Regarding technique is it right that you should use the front edge of the pick when strumming down and the back edge when strumming up and not the flat part - see link: https://www.sagemusic.co/which-guitar-pick-should-i-use-light-medium-or-heavy/

Also to avoid slipping is it acceptable to use sandpaper / tape / sticking plaster, scratching the pick surface or as an alternative are there any recommended non slip picks - or is this considered to be covering up poor technique.

Any guidance / comments very much appreciated. I'm rather groping around on this lot!!!!
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Artist Folk

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 144
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Pick to Use for Acoustic Strumming
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:31:51 pm »
Can't offer much in reply to questions about the types of picks and technique (looking forward to other answers).  But I reckon anything goes when it comes to treating your pick to make it easier to grip, to play comfortably and relaxed without concern.

Offline Drubbing

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 12:41:21 pm »
There is no 'best' pick for acoustic strumming - or any other guitar.

The issue you have is one of technique, not tools. There is no pick that will eliminate that clicky sound, or grip any better than the standard 'grippy' materials' - it's to do with the way you're hitting the strings.

Yes, there are as many opinions about picks as there are players, but expensive picks are not fixes for anything. They're just expensive materials. Beginners are very unlikely to get on with thick picks, they don't have any give, will snag, and can sound far worse than nylons.

Using a pick is a subtle skill, not easily taught or imparted via text. It comes with practice, developing an ability to graze the strings with a supple yet controlled, relaxed wrist action.

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:59:23 pm »
I have picks that have a bunch of small tits stiking up and my friend hss a round hole punch to make holes in his picks.
I do the same nd it does help a bit. If i get your address i will mail you some.
Don

Sent from my GT-P5210 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 66
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 01:05:32 pm »
I also used to punch holes in the middle of (thin) picks, and that totally solved the problem I was having with the pick flying out of my hand. The more experienced I became the less of a problem it was. I no longer punch holes in the pick and it no longer flies out of my hand! 😃

Mary
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline dman2

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:09:19 pm »
Can i add pictures her and i will uplod some of my pics

Sent from my GT-P5210 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 03:51:43 am »
I have a few "go to" picks, but for me, the exact pick I'm using isn't a matter of great concern.

I'd get comfortable using a fairly standard pick (maybe a .60mm tortex, or something like that). Once you're comfortable with that, then start trying other picks and see what you like the best.

Offline Stormya

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 05:19:50 pm »
Thanks very much for all replies.
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Artist Folk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App