Author Topic: Trying Electric - need an amp for home / jamming use  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Gill

• Good Vibes 0
Trying Electric - need an amp for home / jamming use
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:15:21 pm »
I have recently completed Justin's beginner course and will me moving on to the improvers after Christmas.  I have a Yamaha APX700ii which I got second hand and had it set up at my local guitar shop and really like.  But now I want to try electric.  I have bought an Encore Les Paul Copy again second hand but I now need an amplifier.  If I go for second hand what should I look for.  Its just for at home and a jamming group I have recently joined and how much do you think I should expect to pay?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 24
Re: Trying Electric - need an amp for home / jamming use
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 05:25:04 pm »

How much do you want to pay?  :)

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 06:05:44 pm »
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 24
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 08:25:13 am »
If it were just for home, the answer might be simpler. Since you mentioned a jamming group, it might be worthwhile to consider what the other members are playing. You'll want to get something you can play at reasonable volumes at home, but that can keep up and be heard in your group situation. Does the group includes drums and bass? And what kind of amps do the other members use?

Based on the info at the moment, I'd suggest trying a Boss Katana (50w or 100w, depending on your budget). There's a half-watt setting and headphone out for home, and then half-power and full-power settings for more volume. 12" speaker and built in effects. Sounds pretty good. Katana 100 is around US$350. Katana 50 is around US$220.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 167
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 01:10:39 am »
[video linked here]

AHA !
His number 5 is my day to day home use amp if i'm not in the mood to tinker with the Axe-FX II  :)
I used to own it's smaller brother (Trademark 30), also a very nice.
Both are solidstate, non-digital modelling amps, they're especially decent when on a budget and don't want the typical digital modelling stuff.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Online DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 05:47:11 am »
Absolutely Dan, Tech21 were really great fun and just worked so well - I had a Sansamp and wish I had never sold it, what a great piece of gear that was 👍
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Curtis Suter

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 02:23:07 pm »
You may be interested in the Mustang amps by Fender.  They come with software called Fuse that gives you about any effects pedal you can think of.
https://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/contemporary-digital/mustang/

Curtis

Offline Six-String Steve

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 07:25:39 am »
+1 for the Boss Katana suggestion. I have one and am very pleased with it. I would suggest the 100 watt version because it has more hardware features (such as a pedal loop) than the 50 watt version. You can still turn it down to a sensible home practice volume.

Offline Ohdb99

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 03:29:04 pm »
I got a Boss Katana 50 for Christmas and love it.   Lots of reviews out there if you google.  Found it for $200.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App