Author Topic: My art collaboration with diademgove  (Read 22057 times)

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
Re: My art collaboration with diademgove
« Reply #225 on: November 08, 2018, 01:29:32 pm »
I finished another one, not a self portrait! Don't worry!

This is based on a song I wrote called the Russian Song. You can hear it here:

Listen to Russian Song (with Intro) by faraway my lovely #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-468459034/russian-song-with-intro

The song came to me in a dream, and I've always been able to picture the woman, so much so that I often wonder if the story is something from a past life, or of an ancestor, her death somewhere in my DNA. Or I could just have an active imagination. Haha.

Anyway, I'm pleased with this one. This is the woman I sing about.

Lynn

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #226 on: November 08, 2018, 01:46:07 pm »
What an evocative piece of music, Lynn ... could feel the coldness, bleakness, barrenness. Painting depicts the same sense of things.  Did like the peaceful look on her face, despite the circumstances of the story, such as the song shares.  She looks kind of ethereal, has a glow about her, as she lies in the cold darkness.

Offline Rufusragatip

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • I can pick my nose but cant pick a guitar string.
« Reply #227 on: November 08, 2018, 02:02:39 pm »
Hi,

Personal opinion - I think this is my 'bestest' favourite of all your works. ;D ;)
The feet on the woman are almost photographic. The shading of the ankle and toes are what actually draws the viewer in - or at least - this viewer. ;)
The angry sea is fantastic.
You call the song 'Russian Song', which I think is also great - however, returning to the sea, if I may - I've witnessed seas with such colourings off 'The Bill' and your picture takes my dreams and memories back.
You're also an edjumikayter (amongst your other talents of being a fine song writer, singer and all-round good spud) - I learnt a new word today when looking up 'surrealism art' - juxtaposition ;) ;D ;D ;D

Kind regards,
Rufus
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Racism is in the eye of an idiot' - Rufusragatip 2018

'Judge not, until you judge yourself' - Robert 'Nesta' Marley 1962

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2018, 04:22:46 pm »
Thanks David! You know, I didn't consider showing her having any signs of trauma. Those might be the secrets left untold from the lyrics. Glad you like the song as well.

Thanks Rufus. It's really encouraging that this is your bestest favorite. Maybe I'm headed down the right path. I'm also glad you learned the word juxtaposition. Haha.

Lynn

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2018, 11:40:58 am »
Here's Keith's latest painting, Waiting for Andy (although I think he should call it Waiting for the Wrecking Ball). It's oil on canvas.

Wow. Fantastic, Keith. I love it!

I've been painting up a storm myself (not literally) but needed the help of a photographer to capture the last one due to the extreme differences in dark and light. I also applied to my first show. A big step forward.

We also have a song or two in the works. I'll be posting one next week for sure.

Lynn

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2018, 02:40:32 pm »
Thanks Lynne

Interesting style and colours.  I suppose it is a particular style that an art student would recognise.  For me just looks a bit different.  The title is also intriguing.  No tins around so maybe not waiting for Warhol.  Fine work, Keith.

How exciting to hear about a show ... good luck, I hope that comes off as desired.

And more songs ... excellent :)

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2018, 07:49:42 pm »

Interesting style and colours.  I suppose it is a particular style that an art student would recognise.  For me just looks a bit different.  The title is also intriguing.  No tins around so maybe not waiting for Warhol.  Fine work, Keith.

Thanks David, I mixed up the styles so an art student may have difficulty recognising it. The colours are too cold for expressionism. The drawing is also too close to reality. Some of the colours are accurately painted and some came out of my head.

Andy is Warhol. he did more than paint tins of soup. He along with fellow pop artists re-introduced real things into art. Something neglected by abstract expressionism.

Thanks again your comments are much appreciated.

Keith 

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2018, 05:04:22 am »
Thanks David, I mixed up the styles so an art student may have difficulty recognising it. The colours are too cold for expressionism. The drawing is also too close to reality. Some of the colours are accurately painted and some came out of my head.

Andy is Warhol. he did more than paint tins of soup. He along with fellow pop artists re-introduced real things into art. Something neglected by abstract expressionism.

Thanks again your comments are much appreciated.

Keith

Keith, thanks for taking time to provide some background. Went off and googled expressionism and abstract expressionism.  Just that smallest titbit of knowledge gave me fresh eyes and mind. So I can see what you mean on the style.

As for Andy ... oversight on my part not to have a tongue-in-cheek emoji after the comment  :)

And I am guessing I may grasp more of the title's significance if I knew more about Andy...more than tins and (if I am correct) association with The Velvet Underground.

My brother and I were chatting about how deeper knowledge shifts how one experiences and appreciates things, particularly creative arts, like painting and music. My very superficial appreciation based on how the image appeals to me is a very limited basis to offer comment. I guess fair to either like or dislike but any comment as to artiistic merit or quality should be avoided.  Our observation is many folk offer comments on merit or quality on things with zero knowledge and we conclude that it is best not to enter into discussion in such cases when you actually have knowledge...a sure path to frustration.

Goodness me, I have rambled off this morning  ;D

Thanks again for sharing the painting and more about it.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2018, 09:45:37 am »
Keith, thanks for taking time to provide some background. Went off and googled expressionism and abstract expressionism.  Just that smallest titbit of knowledge gave me fresh eyes and mind. So I can see what you mean on the style.

As for Andy ... oversight on my part not to have a tongue-in-cheek emoji after the comment  :)

And I am guessing I may grasp more of the title's significance if I knew more about Andy...more than tins and (if I am correct) association with The Velvet Underground.

My brother and I were chatting about how deeper knowledge shifts how one experiences and appreciates things, particularly creative arts, like painting and music. My very superficial appreciation based on how the image appeals to me is a very limited basis to offer comment. I guess fair to either like or dislike but any comment as to artiistic merit or quality should be avoided.  Our observation is many folk offer comments on merit or quality on things with zero knowledge and we conclude that it is best not to enter into discussion in such cases when you actually have knowledge...a sure path to frustration.

Goodness me, I have rambled off this morning  ;D

Thanks again for sharing the painting and more about it.

Comments based on little or no knowledge can be the most helpful of all. Especially if you're not painting for art students and art critics. Art, like music, is so subjective that all opinions are valid, in my view.

Andy Warhol and a few other pop artists put people and things back into paintings. The dominant trend at the time was abstract expressionism which excluded the actual representation of real things. If you look at his prints of Marilyn Monroe he married colour from the expressionists with a publicity shot of Marilyn and to me it worked. Yes you can spend hours looking at a Jackson Pollack and daydreaming about the feelings it creates inside you but sometimes you want to be woke up with a bucket of cold water and that's Andy. Some of his work just grabs hold of you and you say wow! You don't really need a lot of knowledge for that. A bit like listening to She Loves You by the Beatles for the first time in 1963 as a child.

Please keep on commenting I find it really helpful.

Thanks again,

Keith

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2018, 04:05:55 pm »
Comments based on little or no knowledge can be the most helpful of all. Especially if you're not painting for art students and art critics. Art, like music, is so subjective that all opinions are valid, in my view.

Andy Warhol and a few other pop artists put people and things back into paintings. The dominant trend at the time was abstract expressionism which excluded the actual representation of real things. If you look at his prints of Marilyn Monroe he married colour from the expressionists with a publicity shot of Marilyn and to me it worked. Yes you can spend hours looking at a Jackson Pollack and daydreaming about the feelings it creates inside you but sometimes you want to be woke up with a bucket of cold water and that's Andy. Some of his work just grabs hold of you and you say wow! You don't really need a lot of knowledge for that. A bit like listening to She Loves You by the Beatles for the first time in 1963 as a child.

Please keep on commenting I find it really helpful.

Thanks again,

Keith

Makes sense and I agree, Keith.

I will keep commenting based on my own experience in looking at a painting, sharing what I like and what I don't and the specifics.  Actually I do the same with music, since I am not that knowledgeable about music  ;)

The context of the conversation with my brother was more in terms of people who judge something as being of good quality or merit based solely on whether or not they like it.  In my case, I can say I don't particularly like Warhol's Monroe prints; however, I can't say they are "rubbish" art since I really haven't any basis to make that call. Similarly for Pollock's work. 

In the music context, Howard Goodall's first example from his appreciation of the Beatles was I Am The Walrus.  He had a great reason why this is such a magnificent song, which I can't recall.  That maybe so, however, I don't like it.  Much happier listening to She Loves You, even if it is musically far simpler than the later works that Goodall so values.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2018, 10:04:21 pm »
I finished another tempera painting. Unfortunately I didn't have it done for my photography session the other day. It's not quite as bright as in this photograph.

It's called Two Scottish Blackface Waiting for a Rainbow. It's a gift for my friend who took me and another friend on a trip to Ireland, where we toured a sheep farm one day. Turns out touring a sheep farm is more like hiking up a mountain than we realized it would be, or were prepared for. None of us brought food or water, and we climbed and climbed and climbed for hours. A little bit from the top was a deluge, and we suddenly were drenched and cold and I thought, how am I ever going to make it the rest of the way?

Then, like magic, the rain stopped, the sun came out, and a double rainbow appeared; all of our effort was clearly worth it. We got to the top, then we practically ran back down because it was getting dark, and the idea of hiking down a mountain in the dark was very motivating. Haha.

You might wonder why I didn't paint the rainbows. Well, I knew I couldn't do them justice. They were really, really beautiful.

Lynn

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2018, 05:53:08 am »
What a lovely painting, Lynn.

The shades and textures of the fields, the sky and your sheep are spot on.

Also adds to the enjoyment to know the story behind the painting.

I do enjoy this quiet non music corner ever so much. Glad you and Keith keep jt going.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
« Reply #237 on: November 25, 2018, 01:09:37 pm »
Thank you, David.

I am glad you're enjoying this area. No pressure to comment, but we both really appreciate that you do!

Lynn

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2018, 01:14:34 pm »
Thank you, David.

I am glad you're enjoying this area. No pressure to comment, but we both really appreciate that you do!

Lynn

;D Feel no pressure at all, Lynn. Enjoy the conversation and appreciate you taking time to share.

Offline Rufusragatip

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
  • I can pick my nose but cant pick a guitar string.
« Reply #239 on: November 25, 2018, 08:32:54 pm »
Hi,

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night

The colours of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
They're really saying I love you

I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll never know
Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world

First thoughts after reading your post ;) :)

Love the picture, Lynn.

@Keith -
Love the colours you used.
Dare I say - the picture, in my minds eye, is very reminiscent of Lowry.

Kind regards,
Rufus
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Racism is in the eye of an idiot' - Rufusragatip 2018

'Judge not, until you judge yourself' - Robert 'Nesta' Marley 1962

Get The Forum As A Mobile App