Author Topic: My art collaboration with diademgove  (Read 30444 times)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
  • What was I doing?
Re: My art collaboration with diademgove
« Reply #330 on: March 02, 2019, 08:35:38 pm »
I reckon you're right David, Liverpool airport was named after John Lennon in 2002, so the likeness is pretty good

Sent from my phone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #331 on: March 03, 2019, 11:06:26 am »
Richard, I seem to recall John wore white pyjamas in bed not a blue shirt :)

DavidP, yes its John Lennon. The photo its based on is in the deluxe edition of the White Album. I must have been thinking his fat Elvis period as I made his face wider than it should have been. So a good spot.

DarrelW thanks for the comment and saying my painting looks like John.

Lynn, sideways is funky, I could call it waiting for the tea to fall off the edge of the world. That would be very John :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #332 on: March 03, 2019, 12:34:36 pm »
Once again, fine art, Keith (my attempt at an arty pun of sorts)

It was the glasses, eyes and hair that did it for me.  Looked again and don't know him well enough to make any comment on the width of the face.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 434
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #333 on: March 03, 2019, 01:13:01 pm »
Richard, I seem to recall John wore white pyjamas in bed not a blue shirt :)
It was all very white I think.
:)
Although I'm sure he sported a subtle pair of stripes at one point.

I could call it waiting for the tea to fall off the edge of the world. That would be very John :)
Indeed it would … John Lennon was fond of his nonsense Lear-inspired imaginings.

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #334 on: March 23, 2019, 08:28:33 pm »
Here is Keith's latest drawing. He's been experimenting with charcoal, and also still working on several paintings.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2019, 08:43:09 pm »
Here is what I've been doing at work. Not as creative as what Keith's been doing, but I've been learning lots and having fun.

The original harpsichord sound board painting, which was from the 1970's, was not to the current owner's taste, so I have removed it and painted on a decorative border. Removing it was done by hand sanding, which took days and days. The ghost images of the flowers will always be there, but believe me, it's better this way.

I love my new job.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
« Reply #336 on: March 23, 2019, 08:47:55 pm »
Here is Keith's latest drawing. He's been experimenting with charcoal, and also still working on several paintings.

Interesting, Keith, heading towards a little strange, even disturbing.  Hard for me to fathom.  Charcoal is tricky, to avoid smudging everything beyond recognition.

Here is what I've been doing at work. Not as creative as what Keith's been doing, but I've been learning lots and having fun.

The original harpsichord sound board painting, which was from the 1970's, was not to the current owner's taste, so I have removed it and painted on a decorative border. Removing it was done by hand sanding, which took days and days. The ghost images of the flowers will always be there, but believe me, it's better this way.

I love my new job.

I'd call that creative, Lynn ... just different to Keith's creative.

Thanks for sharing ...

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #337 on: March 23, 2019, 09:24:58 pm »
Interesting, Keith, heading towards a little strange, even disturbing.  Hard for me to fathom.  Charcoal is tricky, to avoid smudging everything beyond recognition.

I'd call that creative, Lynn ... just different to Keith's creative.

Thanks for sharing ...
David, you're right, my work is creative. It's just that I'm painting within the confines of what's "acceptable". Working in an historically accurate manner is really important, at least at first . So I've been studying like crazy, reading books, practicing painting, talking to other artists, and looking at and photographing lots instruments. We have many beautiful ones in the shop, and I'll be seeing some in European museums soon.

The sound boards (which is what my picture is of) are traditionally painted in gouache, and luckily it's not that different than tempera, so that's been good. The big mistake I made on this one was in using the wrong color at first. Luckily I was able to correct it, but that made me feel sick when I realized it wasn't what the owner wanted.

There's often nothing you can do if you screw up, so working slowly, thinking ahead, and being careful has been something I've had to put a lot effort into. With my tempera paintings, if I mess up, I can wash it off and start over. I actually do that a lot. That's not a option here, so that's been scary.

So that's why I haven't been around here much lately. I feel like I'm in grad school. It's been pretty intense, but so exciting. Actually, it's probably the opposite of exciting. Haha. The latest book I have been reading is called "Early Keyboard Instruments in European Museums". I'm sure you've read it.

We will be restoring an instrument from 1584 that will be heading to a museum soon. I won't be doing any painting on it because the original one is still intact, believe it or not, but at least I'll get to hear it. We're making it playable.

Thanks for commenting! I'll try to catch up with everyone's guitar progress tomorrow. Hope you're having fun and learning new songs and techniques.

Lynn

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #338 on: March 23, 2019, 10:57:16 pm »
Thanks David. The title of the drawing is Burning The Wizzard (after Bacon). It might help, there again it might not if you're not familiar with Francis Bacon's work.

I'm sure to have another go with charcoal. Its fun but messy to work with.

Thanks again,

Keith

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
« Reply #339 on: March 24, 2019, 07:44:54 am »
David, you're right, my work is creative. It's just that I'm painting within the confines of what's "acceptable". Working in an historically accurate manner is really important, at least at first . So I've been studying like crazy, reading books, practicing painting, talking to other artists, and looking at and photographing lots instruments. We have many beautiful ones in the shop, and I'll be seeing some in European museums soon.

The sound boards (which is what my picture is of) are traditionally painted in gouache, and luckily it's not that different than tempera, so that's been good. The big mistake I made on this one was in using the wrong color at first. Luckily I was able to correct it, but that made me feel sick when I realized it wasn't what the owner wanted.

There's often nothing you can do if you screw up, so working slowly, thinking ahead, and being careful has been something I've had to put a lot effort into. With my tempera paintings, if I mess up, I can wash it off and start over. I actually do that a lot. That's not a option here, so that's been scary.

So that's why I haven't been around here much lately. I feel like I'm in grad school. It's been pretty intense, but so exciting. Actually, it's probably the opposite of exciting. Haha. The latest book I have been reading is called "Early Keyboard Instruments in European Museums". I'm sure you've read it.

We will be restoring an instrument from 1584 that will be heading to a museum soon. I won't be doing any painting on it because the original one is still intact, believe it or not, but at least I'll get to hear it. We're making it playable.

Thanks for commenting! I'll try to catch up with everyone's guitar progress tomorrow. Hope you're having fun and learning new songs and techniques.

Lynn

All sounds fascinating,  exciting and quite intense. Does seem like you are in your element,  Lynn. The restoration sounds like a really special project.

Can't say I've read that classic  ;D

As for me....yup still keeping up with music.  I confess I can't recall if you commented on my last song, too many songs, too many comments,  too many people for me to remember specifics. Can say I was pleased with the last two: Redemption Song and Stray Cat Strut.

Learning wise, I am still busy with learning the first 4 patterns in the folk finger style module. Its two patterns with alternating bass notes either on string 6 & 4  or 5 & 4. Started that over Dec holidays. Still aways to go before left hand fretting and picking is sufficiently automatic to try songs. And folk-country-blues finger style like Robert Johnson, James Taylor, Lindsay Buckingham...well playing like that is going to be a long journey.  But that's ok, keeps me out of mischief  ;D

I hope you still make time to at least play for rest and relaxation,  even if not putting lots into pushing on with learning more.

Be well

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
« Reply #340 on: March 24, 2019, 07:48:19 am »
Thanks David. The title of the drawing is Burning The Wizzard (after Bacon). It might help, there again it might not if you're not familiar with Francis Bacon's work.

I'm sure to have another go with charcoal. Its fun but messy to work with.

Thanks again,

Keith

Always enjoy taking a look, Keith. Though I confess my knowledge and exposure to art is limited. So I've heard the name Bacon but cannot recall when and context.

Look forward to the next work in charcoal.

Offline diademgrove

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 45
« Reply #341 on: March 24, 2019, 09:08:30 am »
Always enjoy taking a look, Keith. Though I confess my knowledge and exposure to art is limited. So I've heard the name Bacon but cannot recall when and context.

Look forward to the next work in charcoal.

I need to buy some fixative before doing another charcoal drawing. If I do too many they are likely to be smudged to hell and back if my grandson finds them.

Working in charcoal was fun and I'll definitely do some more.

Francis Bacon is worth a quick google. Some of them are not for the squemish.

Thanks again,

Keith

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 233
« Reply #342 on: March 24, 2019, 09:33:02 am »
I need to buy some fixative before doing another charcoal drawing. If I do too many they are likely to be smudged to hell and back if my grandson finds them.

Working in charcoal was fun and I'll definitely do some more.

Francis Bacon is worth a quick google. Some of them are not for the squemish.

Thanks again,

Keith

Keith, having Googled, I suspect the Bacon I had in mind was probably the older relative.  Not that I am well educated in matters of philosphy either :)  Have more names in my head than deep insights into what the person was all about.  Be that as it may ...

I scanned the Wikipedia artical and looked at some of the paintings.  Powerful and at times quite disturbing.  My take is lots of pain and anguish, tortured.

I am thinking that some of the images I associate with Pink Floyd's The Wall were either Bacon's or an artist inspired by him ... equally tortured and disturbing at times.

I'm glad you and Lynn continue to share here, even if it is not the post popular topic in the Community.  I feel I get to know the two of you better here, and like that.

Did I share my charcoal portrait of Neil Young, done back in my dabble in drawing, painting?  I expect I did.  I cheated and used a white pastel to try and fix a smudge in just the wrong spot :)

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #343 on: March 24, 2019, 10:57:07 am »
All sounds fascinating,  exciting and quite intense. Does seem like you are in your element,  Lynn. The restoration sounds like a really special project.

Can't say I've read that classic  ;D

As for me....yup still keeping up with music.  I confess I can't recall if you commented on my last song, too many songs, too many comments,  too many people for me to remember specifics. Can say I was pleased with the last two: Redemption Song and Stray Cat Strut.

Learning wise, I am still busy with learning the first 4 patterns in the folk finger style module. Its two patterns with alternating bass notes either on string 6 & 4  or 5 & 4. Started that over Dec holidays. Still aways to go before left hand fretting and picking is sufficiently automatic to try songs. And folk-country-blues finger style like Robert Johnson, James Taylor, Lindsay Buckingham...well playing like that is going to be a long journey.  But that's ok, keeps me out of mischief  ;D

I hope you still make time to at least play for rest and relaxation,  even if not putting lots into pushing on with learning more.

Be well
That sounds fun, David. Finger picking is challenging but once you get it you got it.

Yes, we still play guitar more days than not. Not everyday like we used to, though. My job has a very long commute and I work longer hours than I used to, so I have to go to bed earlier. The thing I'm doing less of is my own painting, but I hope that's just temporary while I'm learning my trade. Once I feel like I know what I need to know, I'll hopefully get back into it.

Take care,
Lynn

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #344 on: March 24, 2019, 02:07:54 pm »
Keith finished another painting today. It's called Saturn After Goya.

Keith, is it acrylic? It's excellent.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App