Author Topic: Let's talk about "Takers" and common courtesy  (Read 1335 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 537
  • Teesside, North East England.
Re: Let's talk about "Takers" and common courtesy
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2020, 05:16:05 pm »
This is a very good point.

Thanks for spotting and acknowledging it Keith.

Also, even if the OP doesn't acknowledge (or even read) your answer, there's a possibility that someone else will in the future, and that it helps them.

Yes ... newbie questions are often read by and useful to other newbies coming along too.

Offline GregB

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2020, 06:30:37 pm »
All you old hands, please keep doing what your doing, it’s certainly helped me and is very much appreciated, I think it’s a minority that act without  care for others and it’s easy to ignore those who continually don’t interact in any way. As for single posters, they’re really not worth losing any sleep over.

I’m far more annoyed by posters who do post frequently for relatively short periods whose only interaction is to promote their YouTube channel, now that is taking the Michael. Not seen much of that middle aged guitar bloke of late 😂

Offline TCB

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2020, 07:53:49 pm »
As a person who has just joined the forum recently I just wanted to share my experiences and thoughts.

I really enjoy all the helpful answers that people spread here around and I hope I can contribute in the future to all lost souls around the forum. In my case I haven't asked a lot but I find a search function very useful with some posts being 5+ yo, and yet so insightful!

It always take me a bit of time to get into the discussions as I first like to learn about people around, what sort of posts are popping up and what are people responses. I am guessing some people just like me are just trying to adapt before starting to respond to others.

There are quite a lot of posts where people are showing their progress and recordings, I plan to start watching those at some point and give some feedback as well, as it goes for recording myself- well maybe one day once I overcome my insecurity :) seems lot of people recognize others under this sort of posts so sometimes it feels like being being rude while trying to get involved (at least only in my head I hope).

I am usually checking the forum once or twice a day and seems like many discussions are pressing quite quickly ahead and sometimes it just feels like posts where there are already 20-30+ replies have went too far to get involved, but it's just me being weird maybe...

One thing that caught me off guard was that when I am using my phone app I won't get a notification even in my own thread until I flag the post, now I changed it so hopefully it will make me a bit more responsive.

Thank you all for running this forum and making it such a wonderful space and hopefully none of you plans to go away as it would be a shame to loose those experienced and knowledgeable people from here.

I’d like to second everything that adi_mrok wrote.  As a new member of the forum I’ve only responded to a couple of posts, but I read new posts throughout the day.  I’ve found a lot of great advice here, and a lot of encouragement, even though it may have been offered in response to someone else’s comment or question.  I think one of the best examples that is often repeated by the experienced members on the forum is to keep in mind that learning to play is “… not a sprint, actually not even a marathon, it's a never-ending journey.”   That has helped me tremendously to keep my rate of progress in perspective.

Tom

Offline AngryKitten

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2020, 10:19:25 pm »
I’d like to second everything that adi_mrok wrote.  As a new member of the forum I’ve only responded to a couple of posts, but I read new posts throughout the day.  I’ve found a lot of great advice here, and a lot of encouragement, even though it may have been offered in response to someone else’s comment or question.  I think one of the best examples that is often repeated by the experienced members on the forum is to keep in mind that learning to play is “… not a sprint, actually not even a marathon, it's a never-ending journey.”   That has helped me tremendously to keep my rate of progress in perspective.

Tom

Another new member here and I agree completely with this, especially the bit in bold.  I have been here since the beginning of this month but haven't posted much, basically because I don't know anything yet!  I have read a lot though, and definitely intend to stick around and contribute however I can.  And hopefully, the more I learn, the more I will be able to give back to what seems to be a really brilliant and supportive community  :)

Offline SillySock7

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 8
    • My Road Case
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2020, 09:13:03 am »
Hey CT I really wouldn't take it so personal, not sure which post you're referring to but you gotta remember that most of the users here are complete beginners who probably feel like they don't have much more substantive to contribute than "hey that sounds nice" which can feel a bit silly (me, most of the times) - especially when you have people like DavidP frequently posting extremely thought out and eloquent responses.

Another thing to consider is that the overwhelming majority of people browsing the forum at any given time are guests who don't even have an account. With the amount of traffic this place gets you can be sure that at least one person saw your comment and found it very helpful. I can say from personal experience this happened plenty of times over the years - I'd be struggling with something until I happened to stumble upon a long forgotten months or even years old forum comment somewhere which completely blew my mind and solved my problem entirely.

It goes without saying that you're a valued member of the community and your contributions are always greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 10:43:26 pm by SillySock7 »
Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.

Offline tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 127
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2020, 10:18:57 am »
“… not a sprint, actually not even a marathon, it's a never-ending journey.”

I am glad folks have found that a useful reference and have no issue that folk will see that and maybe not  comment in the original thread but are just browsing past. Over the last few years I've rained back on comments and advice as newer members have joined and for example their experiences of going through the BC are fresher - especially after the website and course revamps. I'll still chip in now and then but folk on the road behind me, are more than capable of giving the same advice I would offer. The biggest being

1) The above quote
2) There are no short cuts or quick wins on this path, so don't look for them
3) If you own an acoustic get it set up asap
4) Unless you develop a truly deep and wide foundation based on the BC and IM courses, you will always struggle to develop into and all round player. That why I still refer to myself as an Advanced Beginner.
Dug the footings, still pouring in the cement.

Its that simple but I'll will always continue to help where and when I can if my knowledge permits it.

Simples

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline TonyP

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2020, 04:23:29 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I'm new on here & just getting the feel of how it is all working. I'm in the process of looking for a guitar before I can even start, so I'm just looking at posts, asking questions & appreciating much of the info & advice put on here.
I must say that this is such a great site Justin has set up & once I get going, I hope to get to know, interact & in time hopefully be able to help others.
I really agree though what a difference a simple thank you makes, particularly when the advice is directed to the person who asked the question.
Anyway, it's great meeting those few that have answered my few questions so far. I am really looking forward to the adventurous journey ahead. :)

Keep strumming guys!  8)

Tony.

Offline guitalias

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2020, 07:13:43 pm »
Thanks BW & close! I'll probably be less active on some of the "cries for help" on "common problems already answered in the courseware and a simple search" threads. Yes, Takers are being ID'd and will be summarily ignored forthwith.

So, my guitar learning rebirth started 23 Dec 2019, days after Justin started his new course. I've asked questions, answered other's, made suggestions, ( including a like/appreciation button, which was dismissed). A feature on a bicycle forum I belong to is the ability to hide responses from particular members. I found this useful after some would respond in negative/inappropriate/offensive ways. (Not immediate 1, 2, 3 strikes) I still see if they respond, but not what they have written so I don't get worked up about it.

The new course is quite different from the old, content order & delivery style. It doesn't match up to the app. Sometimes I've asked questions which have been intended to gauge the experience of others in similar situation, rather than from the experienced.

I have been directing more questions directly within the course itself, and have for example answered questions of others just starting what I did 4 - 5 months ago.

I have also been directing comments/questions not necessarily Justinguitar related at other guitar forums.
If someone there or here makes an inappropriate response I will usually just ignore it rather than getting into a keyboard war.

I do appreciate constructive posts and sometimes this is expressed by allowing the person to have the last say.

Edit - PS something that spins me out on the bike forum is how much time sone of those uberfitypes have to type long posts, I'd rather be just riding or playing guitar! The bike forum also has the ability to look at a person's posting stats. I came up with a "loon factor", ie/eg if someone is posting more than 10 posts a day over a number of years they are always going to win a keyboard war.

Offline guitalias

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2020, 07:18:29 pm »
I was thinking something similar. There is potential for discouraging new members to interact/contribute. As a new member I have little to contribute at this time due to lack of experience, although I do try where possible, including updates on progress. The feedback/encouragement from these is good for me.
A post I would just like to be able to hit a like button about!

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 207
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2020, 07:46:09 pm »
@ guitalias
There is a like button.

Click Here To Give This Member A Good Vibe.

It's right below how many posts the person has to your left under their username.

Offline guitalias

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2020, 11:00:42 pm »
@ guitalias
There is a like button.

Click Here To Give This Member A Good Vibe.

It's right below how many posts the person has to your left under their username.
That is what I was told. But quite different  to a like & as far as I could tell no indicator that the post was vibed.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 207
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2020, 03:21:01 am »
The post doesn't get the good vibe the persons does.
If you look you've got a good vibe frkm someone.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App