Author Topic: My achievement for today  (Read 411 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
Re: My achievement for today
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 01:27:48 am »
Funny, perfect alignment in the DAW grid has never even been a consideration for me. It makes a whole lot of sense to do it. My focus has been on trying to wire in the 'brain to foot tap to hand movement to ear' connection -- sort of filtering out everything else and just let 'er rip when hitting the record button. A natural time/rhythm mode of sorts. I've mostly just been using the grid as a way to mark locations in a track for adding another track, redoing a section, etc. Guess I've been coloring outside the lines. :)

It's an interesting goal and glad that you hit it spot on. Shows a high degree of attention to details on your part. Is this something that everyone does? Am I zigging and everyone else is zagging? It's a great topic, thanks for giving me something to think about.

Clint you have what I aspire to!

I rely on the metronome and the grid to give me feedback that my ears/brain don't pick up fast enough while I'm playing. I only embraced the need to learn this skill when I wanted to multi-track and collaborate with others. I'm still grappling with listening to the metronome, listening to and matching each note as I play it with the metronome, remembering what I'm meant to be playing and how, placing my fingers in the right place etc etc. The other thing that throws me is hearing I'm getting it right then panicking I'm going to make a big mess before I finish the take .... and I do. I know there's a happy place where it all blends together. I've had brief tastes of this, then I come unstuck.

I like to think of how many new neurons my brain is growing.

I want to zig, but till then, it's a zag  ;D

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 01:29:16 am »
Hey Mags that pretty damn tight, right on the nose so big congrats. If I screen shot my grids, it'd have to go in the Make You Laugh thread ! With a comparison to a British Rail Time Table. 8)

Aw thanks mate. Still a way to go, but I know it's a skill and skills can be learned.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 03:13:25 am »

I'm still grappling with listening to the metronome, listening to and matching each note as I play it with the metronome, remembering what I'm meant to be playing and how, placing my fingers in the right place etc etc.

Don't listen to the metronome, feel the metronome/beat. Close your eyes and feel the rhythm.
This is what musicians mean when they say they are playing in the groove.
Or feeling the groove

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 03:58:11 am »
Don't listen to the metronome, feel the metronome/beat. Close your eyes and feel the rhythm.
This is what musicians mean when they say they are playing in the groove.
Or feeling the groove

Good advise stitch, thanks for that. This is something I'm aiming for, to feel the groove. I can feel the groove/metronome with eyes closed if I play just one chord and sometimes I can make a few chords changes, but it all comes unstuck after a few bars and I put my fingers in the wrong place and play dud notes and then the timing goes feral.

Just have to keep practising till this becomes part of me, rather than something I'm thinking about.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 171
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 04:28:54 am »
Try playing through the dud notes. If you mess up keep the groove going and
try to keep playing. It's hard at first but it will come.
Slow and steady

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2019, 05:40:49 am »
Try playing through the dud notes. If you mess up keep the groove going and
try to keep playing. It's hard at first but it will come.
Slow and steady

OK tried that. Yep it's hard. I get so distracted by the mess I've made that I lose the plot and stop. I've watched a lesson on this with Justin but forgot it till you reminded me stitch.  Slow? Yep that's me, but in the past 3 days I've seen a real improvement in this groove/timing thing. I'm determined to get it.

I really appreciate your help stitch, thanks so much.  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App