Author Topic: Nylon string guitar that is smaller than average BUT has good resonance?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Angel

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
Dear All,

I hope to get some feedback from those who are more experienced with nylon string guitars than I.

I play a nylon string guitar (well, two actually) as if it were an acoustic guitar, as I prefer the softer sound and feel. I employ it as an instrument of accompaniment to my voice.

I would like to get a new nylon string guitar that is smaller than standard in some way, i.e. 3/4 size, parlour style, or thinner, etc, because I feel that it fits me better and I feel more comfortable playing and more focused on the music. I also prefer a narrower neck, if possible.

However, I also would like for it to have a rich and resonant sound that rings out nicely, even when played with a light touch. One that will provide a current of harmony which will ring out sufficiently that my voice can ride above in a well-balanced musical dance. Here are my song videos so far, using my two guitars, for you to get an idea of my style as well as what might sound nice with my voice: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTgsuf9kCvL7FMktx770IkA/videos?view_as=public

I have been trying them out in stores, and having discussions with the sales assistants. It seems that in most cases, the bigger bodied guitars have the best acoustic resonance, whilst the smaller ones sound a little tinny or... lacking in depth.

My questions are:
Are there exceptions to this?
Are there smaller guitars out there that ALSO have a wonderfully resonant sound?
If so, please elaborate! where are they and what are they?
Or, am I merely trying to defy the laws of physics, and in order to have a resonant and rich sounding nylon string guitar, is my only option to adapt to playing a full size one?

Your thoughts, reccomendations, advice, and feedback are much appreciated!

Thank you,
Angel

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
Re: Nylon string guitar that is smaller than average BUT has good resonance?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 03:32:56 pm »
😇 what do you really want from it?
Smaller tends to mean thinner sounds purely from less air volume to resonate BUT use of electronics can cheat that problem.
I would recommend that you try a small electro acoustic and learn how to alter the sound using a decent acoustic amp.
This is a fabulous guitar to go look at:
https://www.long-mcquade.com/16691/Guitars/Classical-Guitars/Godin-Guitars/Multiac-Nylon-Encore-SG-W-bag.htm
And a review:

My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:55:49 pm »
You have a lovely voice Angel
Why not try out some parlor size short scale steel string guitars? 
The parlor size body is very comfortable and has a thinner neck than
a classical.
The short scale has less tension on the strings and the steel strings
will make up for the loss of volume being a smaller guitar.

Offline sdd56

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:53:06 pm »
Similar in size to the Larrivee (but much cheaper) is the Taylor Academy 12 or 12E. They also do a nylon string version (12e-N I think). It has a smallish body and shorter scale.

Judging from the videos on YouTube it has a good sound for the size, and they claim it is very easy to play.

Edited to add - the Nylon string version has a standard scale length of 25.5", the others are 24.75".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:09:49 am by sdd56 »
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 8.
Acoustic: Yamaha F310, Washburn WD7, Freshman FA1AN
Electric: Yamaha ERG121, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Get The Forum As A Mobile App