Author Topic: Can't hear end of minute on iPhone  (Read 257 times)

Offline forestplay

• Good Vibes 0
Can't hear end of minute on iPhone
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:19:52 am »
When using this app to time my chord changes, I often miss the sound signalling the end of a minute.

I'm at max volume. 

Any suggestions how to make it louder?

I'm using an iPhone 8+ with iOS 11.1.2

Offline awooly

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Can't hear end of minute on iPhone
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:09:35 am »
Is there any sound at all?  I have this issue occasionally also but also have the same issue with the iPhone timer.  Sound up full but just doesn’t make a sound when timer up.
Turn iPhone off/on and see if that fixes it.  Don’t think it’s the App.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline forestplay

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:59:11 pm »
Oh, there's sound.  I hear the count down pings as the start every time.

I just ran it five times with no distraction and it makes the finish sound every time.  It's just too gentle of a sound to be noticed if one is strumming a guitar at that same moment.  If I'm not looking at it, I find it very easy to miss.

I actually think the sound is a poor design choice.  It's almost as if the developer never actually used it for it's intended purpose. 

The finish sound should be much louder and complete different than the sound of a guitar.  It should last longer than the time of a single guitar strum.

I can't think of a single timer in my house that it just a single beep.  My alarm clock, the kitchen timer, the count down timer built into the iPhone, all end with a repeating sound that is quite loud.

A count down timer that is too quiet to notice is broken.

How can I make it louder and more obvious?

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 05:24:14 pm »
If you have other timers, use one of those?

I bought a cheap, small (70mm square), battery operated digital timer from Wilko years ago, it's certainly loud enough. There's a magnet on the back so it sticks to metal surfaces, or it can be free-standing.

Cost about £2.50, and it's still working. It's gone up since, now three quid...

Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 06:33:12 pm »
Leafcutter Studios is still tweaking the app.  Send them a message and ask them to consider adding the option to allow the user to pick different tones.  They do have the option in the Time Trainer app, so it might be possible for them to incorporate in the One Minute Changes app.
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline forestplay

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 12:38:30 am »
Leafcutter Studios is still tweaking the app.  Send them a message...

Oh?  How do I do that?

This app needs several improvements to make it great.  I think most of these are known.

Allow the user to pick the timer ending sound, repeat the sound until cancelled.  Make it very loud.
Better number entry instead of a single touch to the number.  This mechanism is ridiculous for numbers above ~10  The goal is to be above 60 so one touch to get to near 60 is just silly.

Show the last chord change test.  Yesterday I hit 45.  I want to see that before I start.  That also would make entering the new number easy since it's going to be near yesterday's value.

Count the number of strums heard while the timer counts down.

Show a graph of progress

I've already said this but it's so true.  It appears as if the designer of this app never actually used it for it's intended purpose before releasing it.

Offline bigbl5

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 01:36:00 pm »
In the app, tap the three lines at the top left corner.  Then tap "Contact Support." 
I will eventually play as well as David Gilmour - even if it takes me another 40 years.

Offline forestplay

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 10:59:46 pm »
In the app, tap the three lines at the top left corner.  Then tap "Contact Support."

Thanks

Get The Forum As A Mobile App