Author Topic: Intervals worksheet driving me mad  (Read 206 times)

Offline guitardude

• Good Vibes 0
Intervals worksheet driving me mad
« on: November 24, 2017, 08:46:59 pm »
I'm driving myself mad doing the intervals worksheet on page 15. Someone please tell me where my logic fails me.

I'm trying to find the interval from Ab to E:
1) Raise them both by a semitone into A and F
2) Count alphabetically from A to F - that's 6 steps.
3) Check from major scale chart that there is no F in the key of A. There is an A# so to make it into an A I have to diminish it.
4) Therefore the interval from A to F is a minor 6th which makes the interval from Ab to E also a minor 6th

But when I check the answer sheet it says it's an augmented 5th? Are they the same thing? What am I missing here?

Might be worth mentioning English isn't my 1st language. Someone please educate me :)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 326
Re: Intervals worksheet driving me mad
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 01:07:49 am »
Ab Bb C Db Eb F G

What type of interval is one fret more than Eb?

Do NOT look at F and try to go down... that note is a F named note. You are looking to figure out what an E named note is. E is more than Eb so it is....?  What type?

===========
3) Check from major scale chart that there is no F in the key of A. There is an A#( you mean F# ) so to make it into an A( No... ) I have to diminish it.

You are doing that all wrong and mixing up your note names. Slow down and start over.

Raise them both a semitone. Ab to A and E to E#

A B C# D E  = 5  now what type would be E#.... you need to stay on that letter E

You can go Ebb Eb E E# E##  but you can't go to D or F. got to stay on some type of E.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline guitardude

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Intervals worksheet driving me mad
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:50:16 am »
Raise them both a semitone. Ab to A and E to E#

A B C# D E  = 5  now what type would be E#.... you need to stay on that letter E

You can go Ebb Eb E E# E##  but you can't go to D or F. got to stay on some type of E.

THANK YOU! This is where I was confusing myself. I was raising the E to an F, not an E#

Thanks for the quick and in depth answer!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App