Author Topic: TR-003 • Beginners Transcribing Hints  (Read 41786 times)

MousPotato

Re: TR-003 • Beginners Transcribing Hints
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 03:01:58 am »
I just wanted to add a suggestion book for beginner transcribers like myself.
Guitar for Dummies with CD. It was not intended as a book to teach transcribing but I had it laying around so I figured why not use the CD included and try and transcribe them.
It's really great for a beginner as it just plays the guitar part and the lessons progress slowly so the complexity of the music also progresses slowly.
Basically any of those lesson books that come with CD can be used.
It's not the be all and end all of transcribing material but it's sure a good start.

headrix

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 01:59:20 pm »
hey im having alot of trouble transcribing peices with other instruments like piano sax strings etc i tried simple stuff by the fray neil diomond and the sax part from dancing in the moonlight by thin lizzy but i just cant seem to put the notes onto the guitar. im pretty good at transcribing guitar songs but when other instruments come in i may as well be deaf lol does any1 have any advice on transcribing other instruments

thanks in advance

chris

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 443
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 05:55:22 pm »
Okay - this question concerns the actual physical process of writing down the tabbed notes on to the page ...
I have downloaded and printed out the paper from the resources section ...
I have listened to and figured out how to play the Albert King style solo and rhythm from RUBS ...
I have sub-divided the 6 lines corresponding to the strings into bars by measuring them out = 6cm per bar ...
I went for 6cm as you can get 3 bars per line and 24 bars per page ...

My question is ... where do you place the tabs in relation to the beat? In other words, how do you sub-divide the bar to fit the tabs in ... where is the 1 beat ... right at the start, part way along, if so, how far along ? Shall I measure them out?

taking the example of the Albert King style solo and rhythm from RUBS ... the rhythm falls in to a 1+2+3+4+ tempo with strummed notes on the beat and off ... the first two notes and on the 1 then the + respectively ... where shall I write the tab notation?

I know this seems to be a very small matter ... but I'm thinking ahead to writing my transcription of the solo (and then others too) that may need more notes squeezing in to the same space and a bit of accuracy will be needed I imagine.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 10:47:18 pm »
Great question Close - I have done the rhythm and am about a 3rd the way through the solo (I'm finding the solo hard because I'm not that familiar with bending) and to keep me interested I've done the rhythm for Clapton.

My problem is, not being familiar with the pieces when I come back to play them from my transcribed notes I find I have to listen to the pieces again to get the timing right.

I've actually now downloaded the blanks Justin has that have both tabs and staves(?) and writing it both ways - if you look at Justin's lessons he pretty much does this too.

But if there is another way I'm happy to hear it.

Cheers, Bootstrap
The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 443
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 10:56:47 am »
mmmm okay
progress report

I have successfully transcribed the solo on to paper ... without taking any notice of where the bars are ... so it is just a string of tabbed notes ... the only indications about how to play concern bends / slides

I found this thread
http://www.justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=18649.0
and used TB-AV's working link at bottom of page 1 and downloaded TuxGuitar and after some playing around I am getting the hang of it ... the midi sound is a bit rubbish but I have been ptting the notes in, playing it, hearing where I need to change the note length or note starting point etc ... it is fantastic...

I am not a theory student ... all I know is 'every good boy desrves favour' and 'face' form the lines and gaps of the music notation ... but with this software I think I could quite easily grasp how musical notation and tab notation work together ... it's fantastic

it still leaves me unsure about the 'accuracy' of my pencil hand-written tabs on paper when I come to transcribe the next thing and unclear where to place the notation inside a bar ... but I think I will have more of an idea as I do more transcribing ... I think I will have to slow everything right down and use a metronome to get a real handle on the timing of the notes

and the main thing - my ear - is going to be learning too

:)

Offline Celt.Kevin

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2010, 07:29:42 pm »

I have successfully transcribed the solo on to paper ... without taking any notice of where the bars are ... so it is just a string of tabbed notes ... the only indications about how to play concern bends / slides

**snip**

I'm in a similar boat to Close2U:  I've been working on a slow but intricate guitar intro (Zachary Richards' "Shades of Blue" - style is a bit like Knopfler).  I've got the basic tab, chords, etc., down, but transcribing it into std notation is making me crazy.

(BEFORE YOU START:  Don't suggest I don't do this - I need to learn it and it'll help me determine which fingerings to use.)

I'm using Transcribe!, and I set beat markers according to where you would tap your foot.  However, when I try and identify the timing for the notes, at one point I counted 14 notes in one measure of four beats.  Now either most of those notes are 32d, 64th, or grace notes, or I've mis-counted the beat.

Does anyone have any suggestions for syncing tab to timing?  Once I get the basic measures down I think I can measure the duration of the various notes (thanks to Transcribe!).

MxSmack

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 10:50:35 am »
Hey guys I got a question,

When I started transcribing for the first time I tried "Stand by me" by Ben E. King and it was terrible difficult for me but since it was the first time , and I figure out some notes , all the notes that I got I followed the bass line.

About a month later I tried to transcribe Encosta-te a mim by Jorge Palma and it was quicker and easier after listening to the tune , but this time I found the notes through/using chords.

Now some questions about what I typed above:

Should I look for the chords sometimes instead of the bass line to transcribe if I find it easier or it's a better method stick with the bass?

Is it normal after trying transcribe just two times and one went terrible and another went really well? Because I really think that I got half of the chords with pure luck.

Anyway Thanks.

XamTheOne

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 07:52:44 pm »
Hey guys I got a question,

When I started transcribing for the first time I tried "Stand by me" by Ben E. King and it was terrible difficult for me but since it was the first time , and I figure out some notes , all the notes that I got I followed the bass line.

About a month later I tried to transcribe Encosta-te a mim by Jorge Palma and it was quicker and easier after listening to the tune , but this time I found the notes through/using chords.

Now some questions about what I typed above:

Should I look for the chords sometimes instead of the bass line to transcribe if I find it easier or it's a better method stick with the bass?

Is it normal after trying transcribe just two times and one went terrible and another went really well? Because I really think that I got half of the chords with pure luck.

Anyway Thanks.

Hi MxSmack,

Some days music just flows under your fingers and some other days you just want to quit because you don't see how in a life time you will understand what's going on in a particular song.

Don't ask yourself to much questions.  If you found the chords, even by pure luck, you've learned something anyway.  Music is about feeling, not so much about thinking.

Finding the chord instead of the bass note is better !  With the right chord, you've already found the bass note and sometimes the melodic note, so you can move to the next chord.  With the bass note, you're just back to guessing what chord is played.

Wish you many good years of transcribing experiences ;)

Offline Orr

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 02:16:20 pm »
Dear Justin!

when should you finish the transcribing course?
I am learning everything from the site...i finished the beginners course and now I am developing my technique and I'd to start the transcribing area but I cannot because of the fact that most os this course is not done...so when should you finish this?
Jimmy Page
:)

JFK

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 05:38:24 pm »
Just starting to add transcribing to my practice routine.

Justin talks about having a 'folder of songs'. Songs you know, and songs you want to learn. As you progress through the folder the songs you don't know make their way to the front of the folder with the songs you do know.

What percentage of these songs should be transcribed? Realistically? I know some people would say "ALL OF THEM!" but not many people have the time for that. But now that I have realised that transcribing is so important, I almost feel as though I'm cheating by learning from tabs and videos.

At this stage, I'm thinking, learn the easy "BBQ" chord based songs via transcribing, and the fun AC/DC type songs should be learnt from tabs and video. As the Angus style chords are difficult to pick out with the ears.

Thoughts?

XamTheOne

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2011, 10:08:19 pm »
Just starting to add transcribing to my practice routine.

Justin talks about having a 'folder of songs'. Songs you know, and songs you want to learn. As you progress through the folder the songs you don't know make their way to the front of the folder with the songs you do know.

What percentage of these songs should be transcribed? Realistically? I know some people would say "ALL OF THEM!" but not many people have the time for that. But now that I have realised that transcribing is so important, I almost feel as though I'm cheating by learning from tabs and videos.

At this stage, I'm thinking, learn the easy "BBQ" chord based songs via transcribing, and the fun AC/DC type songs should be learnt from tabs and video. As the Angus style chords are difficult to pick out with the ears.

Thoughts?

Hi JFK

It all depends on the time you have.  It could be transcribing 1 song every weekend to 1 every day.  Frankly I don't bother myself with a number of songs to learn, I like to play along and learn at the same time.  Just having fun.  And if I really like a song, then I'll transcribe it.

Probably not the best advice to improve quickly ^^'

bosstramp

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 07:32:39 am »
Hey Everyone. I'm a beginner at transcribing (just chords right now) and I'm totally illiterate when it comes to music theory. I'm doing OK, but I find often that I get a chord that sounds right (e.g. "C") and then I verify it and turns out to be some version of that chord (e.g. C7, C9, etc.). Any advice on how to make that distinction? Maybe I just haven't learned and memorized enough chords and I just have to play around more? Is there a method to the naming system (add, sus, etc.) that can help? Thanks.

Also, where can the transcribing "list" be found? Thanks again.

Offline Bootstrap

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 64
  • Never yield.
    • The Tale Of Bootstrap
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 11:43:41 am »
Dude - for theory this is the ducks nuts - it isn't free but it is very affordable and will get you well underway in the knowledge for which you seek.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-010-RUGS1-PMT.php

The short answer is - there is a formula that applies for all chord types - different chord types eg Major, Minor, Maj7th, Dom7th etc etc all have a characteristic sound no matter what the chord is eg C, G, E. After a while you can recognize that.

Alternatively, you can slow it down using a program like Transcribe and listen for each individual note being strummed - if you aural training on discerning intervals is good you then really don't need to know what the name of the chord is.

Finally, a lot of songs are in just the one key (though many are not), if you can work out the key then there is also a standard formula for the chords that belong in that key (you will however still have to use one of the above methods to correctly identify the chord type)

Song list here

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TR-020-SongTips1.php

Also check out the aural training section.

If you have specific questions - ask.

Best of luck on your journey.

The best guitar is the one you have in your hands
Road Case last update 11 Mar 2012

bosstramp

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2011, 08:04:58 am »
Dude - for theory this is the ducks nuts - it isn't free but it is very affordable and will get you well underway in the knowledge for which you seek.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/PR-010-RUGS1-PMT.php

The short answer is - there is a formula that applies for all chord types - different chord types eg Major, Minor, Maj7th, Dom7th etc etc all have a characteristic sound no matter what the chord is eg C, G, E. After a while you can recognize that.

Alternatively, you can slow it down using a program like Transcribe and listen for each individual note being strummed - if you aural training on discerning intervals is good you then really don't need to know what the name of the chord is.

Finally, a lot of songs are in just the one key (though many are not), if you can work out the key then there is also a standard formula for the chords that belong in that key (you will however still have to use one of the above methods to correctly identify the chord type)

Song list here

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TR-020-SongTips1.php

Also check out the aural training section.

If you have specific questions - ask.

Best of luck on your journey.

Thanks, Bootstrap, for the quick reply. I went ahead and purchased the Practical Theory ebook. I guess I'll start there and then work on my aural training (this needs a lot of work). Hopefully with a little time and effort I'll see some progress. If not, I'm sure I'll be back to post about my frustration :). I feel a little overwhelmed right now but at least I'm having fun. Thanks again!

Ognian_Stanoev

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 06:27:06 pm »
Hello to everyone from Bulgaria
I will skip the "thank you so much Justin" stuff because I am sure all of you [especially you,Justin] have heard it about 16 thousand times.But I promise you this - as soon as I grow up and start my own job I will donate to this site, because it's really awesome.
  Right to the problem:
I recently got into transcribing and now I am at crossroads:
   Problem number 1 :If I transcribe ,lets say.. 1 hour and I transcribe 1 riff, if I use tablature for the same one hour [my time is limited] I can learn maybe.. 3 riffs of the song that I first wanted to transcribe.Than over time ,for example, for 1 month I will learn 30 riffs by tablature and 10 riffs by ear and so on..I am aware of the usefulness of transcribing,but still I want to ask which of the 2 options is better.
   Problem number 2 :Regarding the songs that I transcribe.I listen mainly to heavy/thrash metal and honestly for me to transcribe something from the songs which are often suggested [no offence,I am not saying they are bad,it's me who is bugged from all the metal  ;D ] is really going to be a painfull process.So my question is : Does it really matter what songs you transcribe,as long as you do it?If I lock myself in my room transcribing Metallica or Iron maiden songs is there anything wrong with that?I am asking because, in my opinion, everyone should transcribe the things that are close to him and which he likes,not something that is forced on him.
Thanks to all who will bother helping me,enjoy your guitar playing :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App