Author Topic: TR-003 • Beginners Transcribing Hints  (Read 41789 times)

C level

Lesson YT 103 - Beginners Transcribing Tips
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 04:39:58 pm »
Thanks guys, I now know how to spell software  :D and have down loaded the transciption program. It does help alot to slow down the playback in sorting out solos and leads, but how do you get the chords down? Thanks again

w3lk

Lesson YT 103 - Beginners Transcribing Tips
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 07:21:43 am »
Quote from: "justinguitar"
Totally rwhawkes

mainly practice...

Music is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration!!

J

Is that why some music you hear now-a-days stinks so badly?

Sorry, had to throw that in there...

I'm really new to this whole thing... I played Coronet many-a-year ago, but this whole music thing has lost me since... When would be an ideal stage for me to start attempting transcription?  As it stands now, I'm only mediocre at determining the E B G D A E strings when played alone... I find it kinda difficult to determine chords... should I be waiting, or just try to plug away at it?

Proteus

Re: Lesson YT 103 - Beginners Transcribing Tips
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 11:13:59 pm »
What is a good way for a beginner to get the right pitch on the right string. For example I tried Mr Claptons very simple (or so I thought) wonderful tonight intro only to get stuck on it either being 5th fret high E, bend half a step then 3rd fret then 5th, repeat but last 5th on the B. OR same but on the 14th and 12th frets on the G and D strings. To me the first one sounds closer to the song but my ears are shot due to a little deafness in one of them.

borth1967

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 05:04:10 pm »
Been learning from scratch you beginners section, and followed it to the letter,and not moving on until i`m happy. Chord speed with all major n minors is resonable (28 - 36 per min) know a few songs, next lesson`s is 7TH Dom chords bc009 n bc 010.

Ive used the forum and some members have said to put these lesson to one side and work on barre chords, but that is not following your lesson learning in order and seems out of my depth at the moment.

Bit confused were to go next

ps i have not used your 2 strumming pattern dvd`s in the beginners section, but have learnt what you have online/ downloaded.

Your advice n guidence would be much appreciated "oh great one"

Offline Loco

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 21
  • Love is too plebeian.
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 08:48:09 pm »
hi justin

i've been disarmed from a guitar for a long time and probably it will take a few more months before i will get something to play, so i'm browsing all lessons and try to plan what to learn at first, unfortunately my old guitar was a total crap (always out of tune and with incredible high string-action) so i think i will start from the begining

i'm really interested in transcribing, cause sometimes all these tabs make me sick (3 guitars transcribed into 1) and i often have doubts whether i don't have enough skill to play some shapes or maybe someone just used a MIDI file and import option of guitar pro software...

so my question is: which chords should i know to start all this fun with transcribing? i think that i will learn all open and power chords and then try to transcribe the good-to-start-with songs mentioned by you, but would these couple of chords be enough to pick up some random stuff and try to transcribe it more or less?

and one more thing: is there any place where i could get kinda samples of single chords, so that i could listen to them and improve my skill of recognizing them? it might be little stupid, but i don't have guitar now and i can't stand the fact that everyone around is making progress while i still have to wait saving money for the guitar :P

cheers
Prudence is a rich, ugly, old maid courted by incapacity.

dangerx

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 07:11:36 am »
Hi Justin,

Rob here from Princeton NJ, USA

I have been using your site for a while now, went through a ton of stuff so far, and finally bit the bullet and tried to transcribe somthing.  The solo from Rush's Closer to the Heart.  Simple solo, right?!  seemed good to start with to me.  Well, 3 hours later I have it, and that was using the Transcribe demo software ( 23 days left =).  That software is realy solid, i love the spectrum, I could measure how sharp they were playing ( about +12 cents ), which is why, I beleive, I could never quite get it before.  After getting my first 3 strings tuned up a bit, every fell together!

Ah, now for my question.  What software, if any, should I use to get this on some epaper.  I have it written in my notebook at the moment.

I love the PDFs you generate for your examples, it looks handwritten, what software do you use for that.  I was thinking I wanted the 5 line staff + the 6 lines for the tab. 

I still have to workout the exact timing, if i ever want to get this into a MIDI file, which is another project.

Thanks a TON for all your help!!

chrisx16x2008

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 10:58:26 pm »
im having trouble transcribing basket case by greenday because its hard to hear the guitar over his voice. advice?

btw, sorry for making a new thread i didn t see where justin already made  threads for the lessons

jacobvanhalen

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 08:49:05 pm »
Hey Justin, first i would like to thank you for all the help you have given me thanks a lot now BIG Question im a little confused about the transcribing area.You mentioned that is better to transcribe then to use tabs and you seem to provide the should i use tabs at all or would it be best to transcribe them the ones on the tab section on your site ???

jacobvanhalen

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 04:40:18 pm »
Hey justin i saw your video on transcribing an you said it is beter to transcribe than using tabs period well i saw that you have a tab area on your site should i use that or would you recommend me transcribing them or? :-[ ???

Nightwish4Ever

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 09:47:03 pm »
Hi,
This question is not just related to transcribing but anyway...
are songs always/usually written in a single scale?
or does the scale change (in the bridge or solo etc)?

in addition, the song tips...are they in a reccomended order?
if not can you recommend 2-3 songs to begin with.

thanks a lot....for the whole site!!!
i think it is simply great!

Offline CambaNation

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 02:40:29 pm »
Hi all, I've been playing for about 3 months now and am still trying to get all the theory and technical stuff down. I have improved a great deal, but am still doubting about getting into transcribing just yet. How long do you guys/gals think I should at least be playing in order to jump into transcribing?
On acoustic: Crafter DE/7
On electric: Fender 60th Anniv. Strat MIM, Tex Mex PUs (Neck and Mid), SD SSL 3 (Bridge)
Gear: Vox Wah V487, Musket V2 Fuzz, OCD v4, Boss GT-8, Laney Cub12 Head, Behringer 4x12
Playing since 03/08

mg424242

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »
when transcribing, is there any tips for determining the strumming pattern or does it come with experience?

dumhole327

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2008, 05:16:17 am »
Chords sound slightly different when strummed up or down obviously. The notes ring high to low on up strums, low to high on down. It can be hard at first but with practice it gets much easier. If you just listen to one strum at a time, you should be able to work out whether its up or down based on the order you hear the notes and trying it out on the guitar. This is made much easier if you have a program to slow down the audio. Just work it out one strum at a time, and you will eventually get it, maybe make up your own if you cant figure it out. As with everything, start with slower songs, as faster strumming can be quit hard, and you will get better quicker than you would think.

A useful game to play if you have a friend who plays guitar is to face away from each other and take turns playing a random chord and having the other person guess what it was and what direction it was strummed. You could also do this with simple strum patterns and maybe barre chords later. A few minutes of this can be very helpful.

hoehneb

Re: TR-003 • Beginners Transcribing Hints
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 04:43:19 pm »
I, a beginner, just downloaded the "Transcribe" software yesterday and gave it a go.   Slowing the White Stripes' "Blue Orchid" down to 50% made it extremely easy to pick out the notes (after I figured out that the tuning was about 1/4th note sharp).   I got the whole thing down in about 15 minutes and, after noodling with distortion, was able to create a pretty good semblance of the recorded version.    Of course, the entire song (except for the very brief solo) is power chords, so I don't know how well I'll do with songs with actual major/minor/7th harmonies.  Even so, after this first trial run, I have to say that I'm pretty happy with this software.  I'm scouring my CD collection for simple stuff and if it continues to be helpful, I'll plonk down the 50 bucks.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
Re: TR-003 • Beginners Transcribing Hints
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 11:00:00 am »
WOW - so many questions... ok lets start:

@ w3lk - Start as soon as possible. You know some chords... start trying to work out songs. Just trying to transcribe helps! Strange but true. Promise. Even if you don't learn to playthe song you are trying to transcribe, you improve your abilty to listen and as your ear improves, transcribing gets easier! As your playing improves, you will be able to use your good ears to work out songs!

@ Proteus - Sorry dudes, but that takes LOTS of experience. I had been transcribing for 20 years before I felt confident about string choices. But it is not just about sound, it's about the logic of playing that you just get from experience. You know - little string slide noises that might be a clue that the player is mving position... the sound of one note relative to the next... what is physically possible... that kind of thing... it's more complex than that even... It's hard and I am sure that I don't get it right all the time!

My advice for beginners: Just be happy if you get the notes right... let the rest take care of itself with experience!

@ Loco - You will need a guitar dude! No smaples that I am aware of. Just get playing!

@ dangerx - I use sibelius, but I would recommend learning to draw up the music and tab by hand until you are good at that and then looking at using software. Just use the blank paper from this site and get busy with a pencil!

@ chrisx16x2008 - This is a very common beginner problem, and is just a matter of practice - learning to listen "behind" the vocal. After a while you will find that you can focus on any particular area of a song (any instrument) and work out just that bit. One thing that can help is to try and transcribe a whole band - the drums, bass, backing vocals, the whle thing. That is a great exercise for your ears!

@ jacobvanhalen - you should try and transcribe everything if you can - but using some tabs along the way is cool too - and some people don't have time to learn to tyranscribe!

more answers later...

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Get The Forum As A Mobile App