Author Topic: TR-003 • Beginners Transcribing Hints  (Read 41788 times)

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
TR-003 • Beginners Transcribing Hints
« on: August 14, 2007, 08:02:33 am »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:08:01 pm by justinguitar »
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

henry

Lesson YT 103 - Beginners Transcribing Tips
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 03:37:26 am »
I do have a question, is it still possible to transcribe the right note whenever pedal boards and guitar effects etc are being used?

para.dize

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 01:43:22 am »
jop, it is... all those effects just make it a little harder.

The real fun starts when you try to transcribe a G3 track, where those guys use everything from whammy bar over digitech pedals to octaphazers.

Still if you concentrate on the actual melody you will be able to figure it out! WahWah Pedals for example are easy to remove from the sound you hear, if you know how it changes your own sound. A good method is just to sit down and try to find the sounds on your instrument as justin tought.

:D

Lucille

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 11:21:28 pm »
Hi,
I hope this hasn't been asked before (or if it's just a stupid question), as a beginner in the vast realm of transcribing, how would you know if a capo/drop tuning was being used? Thanks
Peace out!
Lucille

para.dize

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 12:07:07 am »
Well... for a capo: you can't
for dropped tuning: you could figure out that the guitar sound you wanna transcribe sounds lower than all sounds you can get out your EADGBE tuned instrument ;)

both things should not be used in songs a beginner wants to transcribe... except some metal songs where they most likely play dropped D and you know it.
if a capo was used you will most likely not be able to transcribe the chords, because the notes are the same, but they are played on different strings, which means in a different octave... that could give you a hard time :)
just go to www.ultimate-guitar.com or a similar site, get the tab and see if there is any of the above used if you're stuck

:) good luck with your first songs

Lucille

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 04:39:37 pm »
Thank you!! :D

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 01:15:18 pm »
hearing drop tunings and capo use just comes with experience, sorry...

just stick at transcribing as best you can and those skills will come :)

J
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

razz1e

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 08:13:38 pm »
Well I'm trying to transcribe 'pink bullets' by The Shins. What I have for the intro so far sounds good, but I've not checked with the video yet to see how I'm doing. My question is, I presume I'm doing the right thing in listening for the bass note of the actual chord rather than the notes that the bass guitar is playing?

razz1e

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 11:01:44 pm »
sorry - watched the tips video and my questions been answered :) even though i'm using the song tips, I'm really getting into this transcribing malarky. R.E.M have some brilliant songs for transcribing fingerstyle

rwhawkes

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 05:48:37 pm »
When you hear chords enough, you'll be able to recognize what they sound like... i.e. a G sounds different from a D ... so when you recognize the sound, you can just capo away till you find the proper key...

As Justin says, it's all about experience. And perseverance and passion.

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 05:39:51 pm »
Totally rwhawkes

mainly practice...

Music is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration!!

J

wtouch

Transcribing help
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 01:49:28 am »
okay, just got a few specific questions before i start transcribing. i'm going to start easy doing wild thing--troggs.

how do we know the chords or melody of a song?. do we need something called a perfect ear or relative pitch?. i have neither. although i bought george lucas perfect pitch and am trying very hard. i'm familiar with the A note, i can sing it in tune with that, sometimes D and E.

justin or any one who can help me should i try and obtain perfect pitch first then transpose or is it possible to do both, but splitting it like 15 mins ear training and 15 min transcribe.

thanks

willy

C level

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 04:32:36 pm »
As a beginer should I try to  transcribe with or without the transcribe softwear---- I went on there web site and it seems complicated  :?  Also does the music have to be on a CD or can  I use songs off of itunes when useing the softwear?
Thanks

Offline TomHothersall

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 0
  • I love my dancing rainbow monkey.
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 05:04:10 pm »
Quote from: "C level"
Software*

Fix'd.  :wink:
I want me a Les Paul.

wtouch

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 07:35:46 pm »
Quote from: "C level"
As a beginer should I try to  transcribe with or without the transcribe softwear---- I went on there web site and it seems complicated  :?  Also does the music have to be on a CD or can  I use songs off of itunes when useing the softwear?
Thanks

i'm also a biginer, i started to transcribe the other day and the software makes it alot easier, it slows everything down for you.give it a shot its easy to use. just load the song, then hit Fx and slow it down i ussualy do 70%. it helps.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App