Author Topic: Just my thoughts on Tuners  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Dude

• Good Vibes 0
Just my thoughts on Tuners
« on: November 17, 2017, 11:49:29 am »
I very recently bought a Yamaha Pacifica 112VM and when i actually had the guitar in my hands after unwrapping it i tried to tune it using a Korg Pitchhawk i was lent. Sad to say but i didn't like the Pitchhawk. Perhaps it was just me. So i went and bought a Snark HZ-1 for £18.58. I was surprised by its size being smaller than the norm but was very impressed with it. Now my guitar is in tune. Lol 

Offline GregS

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Just my thoughts on Tuners
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 12:29:15 pm »
Thanks for that info, the Korg is one that's carried at my local store.  I haven't bought my tuner yet.  My wife is giving me my first guitar for my birthday and is a stickler that I can't have it until then.

Everything I've read is favorable about all the Snark tuners.
Guitars: Yamaha FG710S
              Epiphone Les Paul 100

Online J.W.C.

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 01:32:49 pm »
I use a Sonic Research ST-200 on my pedal board, but I have several Snarks around, too. The Snarks are convenient and work well.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 06:24:25 pm »
For an electric guitar, you probably need to have the guitar amplified to use it properly with a clip-on tuner.

In fact you may be better off with a plug-in tuner.

Clip-on tuners are of two types:

* ones that pick up sound from the vibration in the body of the guitar through the clip
* ones that pick up the sound of the guitar with a microphone

(Some tuners can do both, with a selection switch)

Tuners that work off vibration do not work well with electric guitars in general. They are more designed to work with acoustic guitars where the guitar is designed to resonate and amplify the sound. You will get some vibration on an electric guitar, but not nearly as much as on an acoustic as electric guitars aren't designed to resonate in this way.

Tuners that work with microphones will work with electric guitars, but are really designed to be used with the guitar plugged in and amplified. Again, this is because, although you will get some sound from the guitar played unamplified, it's generally not very loud compared to an acoustic guitar. It may not be loud enough to activate the tuner properly.

Plug in guitar tuners are designed to work with electric guitars. They pull in the signal from the pickups just as the amp would, and will work even if the guitar isn't amplified.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 09:32:47 pm »
Yup, Snarks are great for acoustics but for electric a plug in is much better!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 07:32:36 am »
I started out using a Polytune pedal tuner. But when I ditched the pedal board I went with a korg clip-on tuner. The problem with that is that it simply took too long to tune during band rehearsals. It could be that it is just a poor tuner.
Also, when changing between acoustic and electric is not optimal as I need to move the tuner as well.
I now went back to the pedal. I gladly invest the one minute setup to have have easy tuning during rehearsals and gigs.
- that’s the one thing I fault on the Boss Katana footswitch: no tuner
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 12:27:33 pm »
I hear you. My minimalist pedalboard basically has a tuner, a looper, and an expression pedal.

In my experience, built-in tuners are really convenient, but they never quite seem as good as a decent pedal tuner.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline guitardan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 02:34:30 pm »
Hi same here, just bought a snark, very accurate tuner, and was to use

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Styrr

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 04:26:01 pm »
Sorry Keith got to disagree on one point. Clip on tuners work fine on electric guitars. At least they do on all mine.  I use one, a snark, when I can’t be bothered to get out my pedal board with the tuner on it and just go straight into the amp.  Which happens most times as I am just too lazy. And yes I wish the Katana had a tuner on it. How much extra would it have cost?

Most Tuners are accurate enough
for nearly all occasions, but a Strobe one should be the most accurate. (and a fiddle to use).

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but if you own a smartphone there is a cheaper option.  Go to playstore/ITunes  and download a tuner app and do it by ear. Use it often enough and I think that this will also help on note recognistion if later do some transcribing.

Whilst you are there download Justins timetrainer –metronome. Why not ? it’s cheap enough

Styrr
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I cannot accept not trying.”
Michael Jordan

Offline NenaV

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 06:57:49 pm »
Snark is fine. Make sure you have a couple of 2032 batteries lying around for it.  ;) Got  two tuners here. A Korg pitchblack pedal tuner and a Snark original. Am using pedal tuner for my electric and snark on acoustic.

Offline CT

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 56
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 07:46:30 pm »
Clip on Snark tuners work great for acoustic and electric guitars. Mine allows for accurate tuning with a capo on (down to the 4th fret). Other clip ons may have the same feature.

Offline guitardan

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 01:14:38 pm »
My snark tuner which I purchased from Amazon in November, just gave up, no warning, just stopped working, I did change the battery, but no joy.
Got on to Amazon this morning, new one being delivered on Friday.......

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Johan217

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 03:45:36 pm »
guitardan, yours still lasted longer than mine, which gave up after just a week or two. I suspect it is a faulty display.

Went back to my old cheap Boston clip on tuner, which seems to be just as accurate as the Snark, just a little more sensitive as to where it is on the headstock.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 04:13:52 pm »
Must be luck of the draw. I've had my snark tuner for over three years.
Replaced the battery once.
Snark does have a good warranty and will replace faulty tuners.
Johan if you have your receipt take it back for a new one.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 416
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 08:34:46 pm »
I've had two red snarks and both of them have broken with the same fault rendering them next to useless …

Get The Forum As A Mobile App