Author Topic: MrBumble's Road Case.  (Read 2987 times)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
Re: MrBumble's Road Case.
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 01:15:34 am »
Oh Mr Bumble oh oh oh, such a luscious lass is your new Gretsch. Eye candy indeed Richard and beautifully photographed by you. 

I'm thrilled for you Mr B. Having a dream instrument to play really does lift the entire game to another level. The satisfaction and pleasure are immeasurable.

Thrilled too that you've met Richard. He is indeed one of the good guys, remarkably so.

You'll nail those barre chords and then go on to even greater things. Looking forward to hearing her sing.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 02:14:44 pm »
Good to read your update, and I hope 2019 is good to you for music and all other things. That is one nice looking Gretsch! I also wanted a Gretsch, an orange Gretsch specifically, and it’s definitely nice to play a dream guitar!

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 03:04:28 pm »

Hello to all my forum friends.

Some of you might have wondered why I haven’t been around much for the past six months, so I thought it was time to update my Road Case.

Although I’ve been dropping in and reading posts I haven’t commented very much.

There are a couple of reasons for my absence. One is that I’ve been pretty busy and partly because of that practice time has been limited.

The other, rather more serious reason is that I’m suffering from depression. One of the symptoms, for me, is that I find it really hard to get motivated to do anything. Some days it’s almost impossible to get out of bed in the morning. Also, I don’t sleep well, so I’m always tired.

I’ve suffered from low level depression for most of my adult life (that’s a long time) although I am – typical man – reluctant to admit it, even to myself.

Well, I’ve now done that, not easy, I’m renowned as a control freak, with all the hang-ups that go with that.

I had got to Stage 5 in the BC but there I stalled. That is how I justified buying my Gretsch.

However, each time I started to practice I would pick up the guitar and just noodle, which is not getting me anywhere.

So what I’m doing is to try to get back into a regular structured practice routine, to set myself defined goals. Initially these will be simple and fairly easy to achieve.

I’m going back to Stage 4 and taking a run at it as revision and the first goal is to master the “Dreaded F Chord.”

The second is to make sure that I record my progress.

As an encouragement I’ve just bought a rather nice Faith Venus – I like the slightly smaller size – so look out for a post soon in “Most Recent Purchases.”

I hope I’ll be back to contributing to the forum soon.

If you’ve managed to read this far, thank you. Incidentally, I’m not looking for sympathy, just filling in the continuing story.

One of the things I find important to my mental wellbeing is music. I can listen to it but I really need to make it!
Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 234
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 03:25:19 pm »
Good on you for sharing, Brian ... I can but wish you well.

As for practice routine, I guess I am not the best one to offer advice.  A few months ago I shared with a Forum Friend that I was thinking about creating a routine, documenting, ticking off etc ... ah well, I guess the first step of actually creating the routine may happen eventually.

My approach has been to target one thing from a technique perspective, grind at it through exercises for just enough time until I can use it in a song and then just play songs that use it.  Working towards being able to record a song. 

There are moments when I tell myself that I should be more disciplined, would make progress faster if I did more deliberate practice and then I shout myself down, remind myself that it is a hobby for fun, not a drive to become a professional musician and carry on doing what I am doing.  And so what that there are still things in the BC that I should work on nearly 2.5 years later.

So all I'd suggest that for me the act of recording and posting songs is the thing that boosts my energy, I confess it is addictive.  Sure, the first time was a bit scary and making a video rather than just audio was a big step but the sense of satisfaction and the encouragement I have received from the get go pumps me up.

Maybe that'll be helpful for you ...

Irrespective, keep at it in your own time and in time you'll get there, even that dreaded F.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 110
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 12:48:10 am »
Dear Brian, I celebrate your courage and willingness to say the words out loud. That's an important step, owning your angst. Thankyou for trusting us to hear you. Depression is a black hole that sucks love, curiosity, invention, motivation and life of you. I truly do understand. Just naming and sharing takes grit and drive. These will help fuel your determination to find a real life again.

Aspects of retirement are challenging. That's another story I won't open right now.

You have beautiful guitars, they may well be healing companions, supporting you in finding your way out of the black hole. Every time you hold your guitar, be gentle in what you ask of yourself. Find pleasure in the simplest and easiest of things. Ask Mr OCD to take a back seat for a while  :)  He'll be there to help you when you're ready to dig in. Right now you need to play and I mean that in every sense of the word. Make what you do easy, so you feel the glow and flow of pleasure, satisfaction. On a biochemical level, that is enough to start the production of what I call happy hormones eg seretonin, dopamine etc.

I wish you Well dear Brian.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 435
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 07:35:19 am »
Brian.
I've got you down as one of life's good guys and having met you and Mrs B briefly (re: the Grestch) I know you to be a man of true qualities. I admire you the more for having what it takes to say out loud to yourself and others that you have an issue. You have not fallen at the first hurdle - you've cleared it and are in the running to 'betterness'.
Music is a healer and with such a delightful array of instruments to play you can take that medicine every day and gain strength from it.  I only played one Faith when I was hunting for my acoustic and loved it - though it was a jumbo so I didn't get it ...

And play with a positive 'I will' attitude.
And ... F the F chord.

ps - start playing barres further up the neck away from fret 1

pps - look out the window, step outside, scenery, fresh air and early summer sun :)

ppps - take care Mr B and be good

Richard

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 07:45:20 am »
Good on you for sharing, Brian ... I can but wish you well.

So all I'd suggest that for me the act of recording and posting songs is the thing that boosts my energy, I confess it is addictive.  Sure, the first time was a bit scary and making a video rather than just audio was a big step but the sense of satisfaction and the encouragement I have received from the get go pumps me up.

Irrespective, keep at it in your own time and in time you'll get there, even that dreaded F.

Thank you for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate them. You are right, it takes time. I agree that a boost of energy is needed and the proof of progress that comes through recording will probably give me that.

The dreaded F will come.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 07:53:25 am »

Aspects of retirement are challenging. That's another story I won't open right now.

I wish you Well dear Brian.

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. You are right about retirement. That is what started this episode I think. Leaving a stressful and fairly high powered career took much of the purpose out of my life. I didn't realise it at first - it was just like being on holiday.

I do need to play, and I'm very lucky in that I have some very good, understanding and supportive friends and we are starting to jam together.

My new Faith is a lovely instrument, a beautiful full sound from a relatively small instrument and I'm finding her hard to put down.

I'm starting to climb out of the hole!

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 08:02:07 am »

Music is a healer and with such a delightful array of instruments to play you can take that medicine every day and gain strength from it. 
And ... F the F chord.

Richard

Thank you Richard. Your comments mean a lot. Mrs. B and I enjoyed meeting you last year and I'm sure we'll meet up again at some point.

Without music I wouldn't be where I am today - in a good way. It's what helped me to accept the problem I think.

What I'm doing is to welcome the depression and try to turn its darkness to light. I've suffered from migraine for many years and I found that if I welcome the pain it helps to deal with it.

I was talking with one of my guitar playing friends yesterday and he still has trouble with F even after 50 years of playing so I'm fairly relaxed about that!

With the support of Mrs. B and my friends here and at home I'll get through this.

Offline LievenDV

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 153
    • Point Fifty
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 10:18:32 am »
Hi Mr.Bumble;

I just had to react to this as I went through some of these stages myself and it was all sooo recognizable.
I'm not going to write -my- story here but it was almost a carbon copy.

I think your practice routine needs songs and fun; the dreaded F is a work but make sure to put it in every session. Make sure it is only a small part of it though :) Learning some songs you always wanted to play but have that F in it, works. It will take many sessions before you find it acceptable so you rather do many sessions a week of only a few minutes instead of some big ones.

repeat(practice-rest-sleep) :)

in the meantime; where is the fun? :D
One of the the line that keep me going is: I'm doing this for myself.
Pracitcing technique is good but is the mount of fun ok? Learning music is about the journey, not the destination!

Even though the dark period is behind me and music and sports take a bigger part in my life; I KNOW I'm more vulnerable than used-to-be.
Playing some songs I can identify with and performing them later is like breathing

that Gretsch looks amazing. I doubted.. a 5420 in orange or Aspen Green (grey/greenish) and I went for the latter. I had it set up again after 18 months because I found it harder to keep in tune after a while. My luthier told me that in that pricerange, woods often don't dry out completely and still "settle" a little (even after purchase in the store). That setup did wonders! as an acoustic and electric player, these Gretsches are a nice middleground indeed. Try flatwound strings; they're a bit more expensive but sound and feel wise...hmmmmm :) If you consider a capo, try a G7th performance 2 or 3. Becasue of the rather big frets on the Gretsch, you detune quite a lot when using a capo in general but these capo's make it possible to be more subtle in the tension. Oh I love that thing; it's fast, smooth, good string spacing and combining some subtle Bigsby action over a slightly overdriven amp with lots of reverb; awyeah!
my band: fb: Point Fifty | Instagram: Point Fifty

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 18
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 06:09:51 pm »
I just had to react to this as I went through some of these stages myself and it was all sooo recognizable.
I'm not going to write -my- story here but it was almost a carbon copy.

I think your practice routine needs songs and fun; the dreaded F is a work but make sure to put it in every session. Make sure it is only a small part of it though :) Learning some songs you always wanted to play but have that F in it, works. It will take many sessions before you find it acceptable so you rather do many sessions a week of only a few minutes instead of some big ones.

Thank you Lieven. As you will know it's important to realise that you are not alone in the darkness.

You are right about the songs, that's why I'm doing it after all. I have a couple of worship songs I'm working on at the moment and both have the dreaded F in them. One works OK with FM7 but the other doesn't.

Try flatwound strings; they're a bit more expensive but sound and feel wise...hmmmmm :) If you consider a capo, try a G7th performance 2 or 3. Becasue of the rather big frets on the Gretsch, you detune quite a lot when using a capo in general but these capo's make it possible to be more subtle.

Yes, the Gretsch is a thing of beauty and great joy!
I have been looking at G7th capos - they are beautifully engineered - I think this might encourage me to try one.

I have a Shubb which I use on the acoustics and that seems to work OK. Again, I like it because it is simple and well made. Certainly the Gretsch sounds well with my Fender Champ 25.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 07:05:44 pm »
Hi Brian

I just read the whole of your road case in one go. I found your story enjoyable and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

As others, I enjoyed reading about and listening to your musical influences. Mine was much more 'simple' and 'main stream'.

I am also an engineer by training (chem eng) and like many others have to battle (or is it accept) a perfectionistic personality streak. That's the main reason why i am not sharing much ito my own playing. I always want to add this or that to get it 'up to' standard, so i have a number of unfinished recordings lurking on my harddrive.

Your comment about time management resonates with me. I enjoy getting deeply involved in thinking about and analysing problems and finding ways to test hypothesis, only to end up having to rush like a maniac to finish the actual work on time. Lol.

My 10 cents on the F barre, as someone that improved a lot on that front over the last 2 years.., is that my left thumb muscle took a long time to develop. It is now visibly larger than the one on my right (and yes, I like showing it off to anyone that cares. Hahahaha) . So part of practising the F barre is simply developing and building that muscle. Practicing the muscle on a regular basis over a long time is key.

I wonder whether there is a story behind your profile name. "Mr Bumble"?

Tx again for sharing, looking fwd to follow your journey here.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Offline brianlarsen

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 49
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 10:45:00 pm »
Brian,

Thank you for your kind comments (not to mention vibes!) on my recent offering. I think I remember a previous comment of yours relating to your affinity with the song?
No surprises there.

I’d like to feel able to offer you constructive advice about what you’re going through, but it appears to me that you have good insight and are dealing with things in the most appropriate manner.

In a previous life, I had the privilege of working for a couple of years in psychiatry. This kind of supportive forum, centred around something important to you, is an invaluable resource- it would make a fortune if available in prescription form.

The fact that you have maintained the interest to follow what is going on while feeling low, is a good sign in itself.
Returning to commenting and rekindling your enthusiasm for music, even more so.
Take heart.

It’s easy to be unaware of the influences we have on those around us.
I look forward to the day when I can sing: “Come in Mr. Bumble, just how do you feel?” and see your smile.

All the best,
from one Brian to another

Offline Fetch

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 02:10:32 pm »
Mr B,

There's not much to add beyond what others have already said. Thank you for sharing and for your vulnerability.

I don't know if you're a fan of That Pedal Show, but Mick (one of the hosts) shared his battle with depression in a recent vlog if you're interested (oh yeah there's also some stuff in there about changing saddles on his guitar too). Here's a link https://youtu.be/zGN3WzUe7u0.

What worship songs are you learning with the F chord? I haven't made it to the barre chords yet, but the one that works with FM7 might be interesting for me.

Peace and Prayers to you...

Sent from my SM-G930V using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2019, 10:34:57 pm »
Sending you kind thoughts and kindness as you make your way through. I hope that beautiful orange Gretsch is bringing you some smiles 😃

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Get The Forum As A Mobile App