Author Topic: The SKYPE Sessions ...  (Read 22290 times)

Offline kontenda

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
Re: The SKYPE Sessions ...
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2020, 04:32:21 am »
Sounds like a great lesson, thanks for sharing a write up Paraic. I’m going to try that 5th of the 5th chord change, and other possibilities. I’ve noticed that one in particular in certain songs where you would think the chord shouldn’t work in that key but it does. That little example basically explains it to me now.

Mari
Hi Mari,
I have been messing around with that this morning. If I remember correctly Justin said you can do it with any chord in a key. So I played G, Bm and F#Major(5th chord in key of B) - sounded good to me. G - Am - E Major sounded good. I am always wary of writing about music theory as I don't know enough about it. If what I am saying here is incorrect - then hopefully a more knowledgeable person will correct it.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 224
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2020, 03:31:36 pm »
I’m going to try that 5th of the 5th chord change, and other possibilities. I’ve noticed that one in particular in certain songs where you would think the chord shouldn’t work in that key but it does. That little example basically explains it to me now.

Mari

It's called the secondary dominant  chord. It's how the circle of 5th is laid out.
A good example of this is Hey Joe.
C G D A E.
G is the 5 of C, D is the 5 of G and so on.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
    • My Road Case
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2020, 08:45:55 pm »
I had my Google Meet session with Justin this afternoon. As others have said, he's a really great guy to talk to.

The main focus of the session was where I was on my guitar learning journey and where I go next. As I had told Justin, I consider myself an Intermediate player but between work, travel, and learning the bass I've not picked up the guitar that much over the last couple of years.

I had some great progress with a local guitar teacher up until a couple of years ago, and a few years ago I had passed the RGT Rock Guitar Grade 5 exam and was looking at grade 6. I learned the songs I needed to a reasonable standard, but I always felt lacking in the other areas.

I think, on reflection and after discussing this with Justin that I had met my original aims that I had when I first started playing, and now was more interested in consolidating and using those skills than in chasing Grade 6. For me the grading system was a way of focussing my learning on something concrete and that worked for me up to Grade 5 but not so much after that. After all, like most of us, I do this for pleasure, and developing the skills for grade 6 was requiring a lot of time and effort and creating a lot of stress and I think I wasn't enjoying it any more.

The other area we talked about was focus: I think I have said this on the forum before, but I may have a little ADD because I sometimes find it hard to focus on one thing and stick with it. I find it really hard to stick to a practice routine because I find myself exploring other things and drifting away from my routine, or just forgtting to do it.

Justin pointed out this wasn't uncommon and suggsted some strategies to help with this. For a start he suggested that I build multiple schedules covering different aspects of guitar playing, which could be technical exercises of different types, but could also include just learning songs. The idea is that I select the schedule that appeals to me when I sit down to practice. And that I should give myself permission to not play guitar at all if I don't feel like it.

We also discussed recordig myself, as this is something that I really want to try to do more of. Justin re-iterated how useful it was as a way of checking your playing and progress, as well as focusing on the performance aspects of playing. He supported the idea that I try to build some multi-track pieces from the ground up using my DAW and other tools as it would give me a great insight into song construction and production techniques as well as allow me to develop skills in other areas. He felt it might appeal to my ADD nature too.

Finally we talked about some Major Pentatonic techniques and how I might develop my playing there. He gave me a couple of exercises that I'm going to put into one of my routines as well as road-map of how to develop beyond those once I had them under my fingers.

So it was a really useful session for me. I just need to start putting things into practice. Once again, thank you Justin.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Online tobyjenner

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 138
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2020, 10:07:57 pm »
Thanks for sharing Keith. Sounds like a really productive session and I hope that it helps you move forward.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Arrived here Mar 2013 Since completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM and MTMS Now on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
My Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537.msg339454#msg33945

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 74
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2020, 10:27:19 pm »
We also discussed recording myself, as this is something that I really want to try to do more of.

Very cool, and judging from your road case thread, you definitely have the tools you might need. I'd love to hear some recordings.

Thanks for the report on the session. Sounds like you had a good one.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 334
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2020, 07:52:08 am »
@Majik https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=42493.msg431521#msg431521

Keith,

Thanks for sharing the summary. Glad you had an enjoyable, productive session.

So much to learn and enjoy in guitar playing and music making/production.  I guess we could all spend all day on various aspects, if there weren't so many other things that one must, need, want to do.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2020, 08:29:23 am »
Always good to hear feedback on these sessions and it sounds like it's always really useful to the individual. I can sympathise with you on the stress associate with RGT exams. I'm pursuing the same track and it definitely get's more stressful when you get a target date for an exam. I have to admit though I do find it focuses the mind as you've said.
Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, Fender Mustang 1v2, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Boss GT1
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 577
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2020, 09:40:44 am »
@Majik
I'm so glad you got around to the Skype session Keith. And it seems you had an outstandingly productive and useful time. :)

Online glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 21
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2020, 10:21:50 pm »
This sounds like a super productive session! And quite a few useful tips for others in here as well!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App