Author Topic: The SKYPE Sessions ...  (Read 20879 times)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 323
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: The SKYPE Sessions ...
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2020, 01:25:07 pm »
I had my Zoom Session with Justin this morning.

Once again I count my blessings to have the opportunity to spend the time with him. Have to say again, what a pleasure it is to talk music with Justin. He has that ability that all good teachers have to be able to engage at just the right level, to offer loads of encouragement, some tips and suggestions, and to point out the problem areas. And striking the right balance means one hears those problem areas without any adverse reaction.

Main focus of the session was on song-writing and arrangement. I am busy with another original and we used the current cut of the song (drums, bass, acoustic guitar, and lead vocal) as the basis for the conversation.

Overall he was really positive and encouraging about the song, the arrangement and the production, which was a boost to confidence. I think many of us tend to be quite tough on ourselves, always wanting to do better, which is good, but sometimes not appreciating what we have achieved to this point, which can be not so good if those doubts hold us back.

Most interesting suggestion, and one I look forward to trying out, is to really give attention to the drums and bass at the outset. Work towards having a cut of the song that is just drums, bass, and lead vocal. And if that is sounding good then you have a solid foundation to build on. Useful tips about varying the drums in between sections to keep things dynamic.

Much like the session with Len, we spoke a lot about the dynamics, keeping things interesting through the whole song.

Biggest issue for me is to work on one section of the vocals, to actually compose the melody, and make sure the notes are all good and then pitch them well. Sounds obvious but this is probably the weakest aspect of my journey...the singing and the vocal melody. But he was extremely positive and encouraging on the bridge section. So I will put some more effort into the problem part of the song. And he was positive as to my potential as a singer ... now at some point it is up to me to put some effort into improving my singing.

No promises here as to when I will be done with the song ... best I can say is I reckon before George RR Martin publishes the next book in the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones) ... I know that is not saying much.   

Many thanks Justin, Richard, Lieven, and all of you ... the lessons and Community truly are a place to come and make your musical dreams come true.

PS Wasn't sure where to post this, so Richard, if you would rather it was a continuation of the award topic then feel free to move it on over there

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 60
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2020, 04:52:45 pm »
Awesome stuff on earning the lesson David. Very deserved really! Thank you also for posting the experience. Some great suggestions there for all song writers. Hats off to you on winning the lesson once again! 😊

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 562
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2020, 07:41:50 pm »
What a terrific report David - I would expect no less from you.
I am sure you went into the session well prepared and with a sure focus which no doubt helped maximise your take-away from it.

ps
I have moved the 'skype sessions' to their own dedicated board so no need to move your post.

Offline sairfingers

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 50
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿The guitar is the coolest instrument in the world
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2020, 10:45:05 pm »
David, congrats again for being awarded a lesson from Justin. I’m pleased you were able to focus the lesson on an area that interested you. A good teacher should be able to identify and create a ‘one off’ lesson like this and Justin clearly did that. Your detailed description of the lesson shows how much you enjoyed it.

I look forward to hearing the fruits of your labours.

Gordon
BC (classic) completed, now on Intermediate Course, Folk Fingerstyle and Blues modules. Pickin’, lickin’ and improvisin’.....😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 146
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2020, 10:55:29 pm »
Way to go DP  :)

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 323
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2020, 06:09:51 am »
Bala, Richard, Gordon, Maggie,

Appreciate you giving my feedback a read and for more kind and encouraging comments.

With the Community providing endless encouragement, support, guidance how can one not continue to pursue learning and developing one's musicianship.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 323
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2020, 01:26:36 pm »
Most interesting suggestion, and one I look forward to trying out, is to really give attention to the drums and bass at the outset. Work towards having a cut of the song that is just drums, bass, and lead vocal. And if that is sounding good then you have a solid foundation to build on. Useful tips about varying the drums in between sections to keep things dynamic.

In chatting off line, I realise that in trying to keep it short, I have maybe made it confusing.

The first step in this process is to create a rough version of the song with a simple drum track, guitar and vocal. Then compose the bass, refine the drums, and thereafter can go back and add the rest of the instruments. Confident that the song with just the bass and drums with vocal sounds good.

Sorry of you were wondering about working on vocals with just bass and drums, which I guess would be tricky ...

Online pkboo3

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2020, 02:39:54 pm »
So glad you enjoyed your Skype with Justin. And once again congrats on your Thoroughly Decent Chap Award!

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 323
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2020, 03:57:37 pm »
So glad you enjoyed your Skype with Justin. And once again congrats on your Thoroughly Decent Chap Award!

Thanks Pam. He's just such an easy going guy, a masterful teacher, and I am an incredibly fortunate guy to have had the opportunity to hang out with him twice now.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 104
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2020, 08:48:18 pm »
Thanks for sharing your lesson with us, David. (I can’t believe you posted it a week ago, it seems time flies even when I’m not on the Forum!) You got some great input it sounds like, and it’s always good to be reminded that where you are needs to be as much fun as where you’re going. The journey, right?? I will look forward to whenever you post this song as much as I’m looking forward to the next GoT book (and yes, huge fan 😃)
American Pro Strat HSS, Gretsch G5420T, 
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400
Boss Katana 50
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Alex6strings

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
  • Without the guitar, life would Bb
    • Instagram
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2020, 04:27:44 am »
This is a great thing to have had twice DavidP.   You and Justin must be like old friends by now?   He seems to be someone who'd be great to have a few beers and jam with.  A justcon isn't a bad idea....Justin...convention ..justcon
He was playing a Tommy tune on insta the other day... I forget how good Justin is..so good.

Sent from my CPH1920 using JustinGuitar Community mobile app
"Hand me a guitar and I'll play the blues, it's the place i automatically go"  EC

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 323
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2020, 07:04:15 am »
Thanks for sharing your lesson with us, David. (I can’t believe you posted it a week ago, it seems time flies even when I’m not on the Forum!) You got some great input it sounds like, and it’s always good to be reminded that where you are needs to be as much fun as where you’re going. The journey, right?? I will look forward to whenever you post this song as much as I’m looking forward to the next GoT book (and yes, huge fan 😃)

Thanks Mari.

Such wisdom in the notions to enjoy the moment, every step of the way on the journey. To have a direction but not be obsessing about reaching the destination. And in music and in life there is always another destination.

As for GoT ... what odds might we get that the next book will be written by Brendon Sanderson, like the final books of WoT ... Wheel of Time. Disclosure time ... I got as far as the forth book in that series and ran out of steam. My son loves to tease me about my weakness and lack of stamina, it being one of his favourite series.

This is a great thing to have had twice DavidP.   You and Justin must be like old friends by now?   He seems to be someone who'd be great to have a few beers and jam with.  A justcon isn't a bad idea....Justin...convention ..justcon
He was playing a Tommy tune on insta the other day... I forget how good Justin is..so good.

It is indeed, Alex, still have a sense of disbelief that I have been so fortunate to have hung out twice. As you say, hanging out with a few bevvies of your own taste, to chat, and play some music would be great fun. I saw his adverts for his workshops ... Italy or the Carribean ... would be fantastic.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App