Author Topic: The SKYPE Sessions ...  (Read 12519 times)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: The SKYPE Sessions ...
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2018, 06:48:17 am »
Thanks for sharing all of that David. Sounds like you had a very enlightening session.  No doubt, it is well deserved. Congratulations again on this accomplishment in your journey.

Thanks very much, Dave ... it was a real blessing, for sure

Thanks for the Skype update, David.
I'm glad you had a fruitful and enjoyable session  :)

We all dream, but I had exactly the same thoughts as you, if my number came up-
What would I want to ask or get out of the session?
I pretty quickly decided that a chat about learning guitar and what music means to us would be the main focus and my excitement and experience would just boost my enthusiasm even more.
These descriptions of the skype sessions just confirm my impression of what comes across in his videos:
a really talented, sound guy with a positive attitude.

Cheers again for the review

My pleasure, Brian.  And in addition to all you say, just such an easy guy to hang out with.  I felt we'd been mates for ages.

Keep at your learning, playing, writing and entering and no reason why you won't be Justin's Pick sometime down the line.  Perhaps in some way the moment comes at just the right time, when the session can be most valuable...worked that way for me.

Offline max_mue

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 43
    • YT-channel
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2018, 11:18:59 am »
Hey there - it's time for my update of this thread ;)
I had to postpone the lesson in July because of a spontaneous trip to Italy, but we caught up today :)

First of all: Justin is a great guy and it's a pleasure to spend time with him - I enjoyed every moment of it. I struggled sometimes with my English skills (I'm way better at reading/understanding than talking unfortunately^^), but it was no problem. We talked a lot about music theory, because it's a lot on my mind due to my Bachelor's thesis.

Here's a summary:
  • Position of the left hand: I wasn't sure if the slight pain I had to deal with was rooted in my positioning, but it turned out I just should practice more often to get used to it / build muscles - I was a too cautious ;)
  • CAGED system: I wondered how to use/apply it. Justin helped me to understand it's more of a framework and helps to understand the fretboard
  • Double stops aka Hendrix/Mayfield style: I wanted to make sure if I understood the theory behind it correctly. Justin's advice was to rather think of it as playing over chords than playing in a scale
  • Playing with others / in a band: I met some musicians lately and jammed a bit. I asked Justin if any Do's & Don'ts come to his mind. He told me it's better to be able to play 5 songs really good instead of playing 20 songs mediocre. Preparing/testing the tone before playing live. Prepare for practice sessions by playing along the original to the point where you really know the song without looking at a sheet of music etc.. He mentioned that playing with others is valuable practice time.
In the end we talked a bit about the next things I'm going to work on (Jazz introduction, Fingerstyle, Ear Training, Transcribing) and if I'm going to participate in a collaboration for the next contest.

Please excuse my short summary, I'm not a wordsmith like David when it comes to writing in English :P ^^
It was a great experience to meet the person that actually taught me to play guitar. 'Never meet your idol/heroes' certainly doesn't apply to meeting Justin ;)
"When is the right time for anything? Who knows? Living is an art, not a science."

// YT-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5ZGjZ-aZgUNiCU-dznxAg

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2018, 01:01:12 pm »
Nice Max! I was just thinking yesterday if I had read aboutyour skype session experience. Didn’t know it was postponed. A lesson with Justin sounds like a lot of fun. Something to work for ;) Thanks for sharing your experience. Some good stuff you discussed there! :)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2018, 03:14:07 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Max.

Certainly no reason for being apologetic about your English and the feedback you've provided.  Hell, many probably cheering you own, for being more brief than my typical wall of text :)

Sounded interesting, even if a bit beyond my current play-grade.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 436
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2018, 08:21:42 pm »
Hi Max. It looks like you packed a lot in to your session.

CAGED is such a wonderful tool imho. Any different perspective on how it applies, what it can reveal, what it connects to is a good thing. :) Glad that you got an explanation that made sense to you.

And good news that you have found others to make music with.
 8) 8)

Online brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2019, 12:59:48 pm »
When I was a nine year old boy in Beirut, I recall being transported to another world, reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I loved chocolate (still my favourite food) and Roald Dahl tells a riveting yarn. At about the same time I received the Beatles’ Sgt Pepper which opened a wormhole to yet another universe for me.

When I came across Justin’s website nearly a year ago, I felt like I had discovered a secret doorway into the chocolate factory of how music is made. I’ve been running around the factory ever since, flitting from room to room, sniffing different chords, having a taste of this strumming or that picking, as well as leafing through some of the recipe books of music theory.

I even had a go at making some chocolatey music inventions myself, which some of you have kindly tasted.

You can imagine my surprise and excitement when one of the chief Oompa Loompas (sorry Richard :P) informed me that I had received a Christmas present of a GOLDEN TICKET to meet Willy Wonka himself- a Skype session!

What would I like to ask the great man?

Only having commenced my journey, I am painfully aware of what I need to work on; and between the excellent lessons and helpful forum, I had serious difficulty thinking of what I wanted to ask Justin that I didn’t know already, or at least know where to find it.
For me, the answer to most questions lies behind that door named ‘Practice’.

Out of respect for him as a teacher, I did prepare some questions/areas to go over. But as in the above book, it’s all about the relationships. I wanted to meet this man, thank him for the enjoyment he has brought me and if I’m honest, feel like he got to know me. (Self-centred yes, but there you go)

The lesson began by me serenading him with a slight re-write of one of my previous competition entries, ‘Just a minute Justin’ (now ‘just an hour’), to give him a general idea of my playing abilities.
We then had a longish session of general chit-chat about his recent ski-holiday and I gave him a bit of my background, explaining how I ended up learning late in life. Lots of fan-boy praise from my side.
I think he was a bit taken aback when I told him about my brother having a heart attack just as I was launching into the Christmas competition and how helpful I found having an enjoyable distraction at an emotional time. He was half-expecting a funny punchline- not a personal story ending in death, so maybe I over-shared there…

We moved on to discussing how to go about writing simple fingerpicking style for songs. He noticed I had drifted off the alternate base plucking, which he stressed was of utmost importance. I hadn’t realised the thumb takes care of all three lower strings so the other fingers don’t have to shift.

We talked about the minor pentatonic scale and how it relates to major scales. He talked about using notes like words and putting them together in licks to make sense to others.

He suggested it was time for me to move on to barre chords (which I have just recently started practising).
He seemed happy enough with what I was doing. I find my index finger often protrudes way beyond the fretboard, but he was less concerned with what it looked like as long as the sound was clean.
I wasn’t sure the A-shape barre chord was for acoustic guitar, but he assured me again-  just more practice.

We finished up talking about two Aussie gigs I’m going to in the coming months: Nick Cave in Liverpool in June and Tommy Emmanuel in Manchester at the end of March. I told him I’m thinking of bringing my guitar with me to see if I can get it signed by Tommy. If I’m not going down the GAS route yet, I might just pimp my current 6-string.

Are you still here?
Well, in summary: Believe the hype. Justin is a really engaging, sound and chilled dude.
Even if he thinks I’m a plonker- mission accomplished:
Mr. Wonka is aware of this plonker now!

Thank you all

(p.s. In playing terms, I had already benefited immensely before the lesson, as I had been practising much more to reduce embarrassment levels. See- practice! ;))

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2019, 01:14:46 pm »
Congrats mate! Very glad you had a good chat with J himself. Keep playing!

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 75
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2019, 01:48:39 pm »
Really great summary, Brian! Sounds like a hoot. I also felt like I overshared with him. I think the issue might be we watched all his videos, so we feel like we know him.

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Lynn

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2019, 04:59:52 pm »
Thanks for sharing,  Brian. I think my experience was similar, though not shared with your wonderful flair for telling a story. Keep at it ... you are doing great
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:33:48 pm by DavidP »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 99
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2019, 07:16:42 pm »
Sounds like you've been inspired Brian, glad you enjoyed it you deserved it!

Sent from my phone using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Garfield

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 37
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2019, 08:13:19 pm »
Excellent Brian glad you enjoyed the lesson. Nick cave in Manchester sounds great. I'm a big fan and i've seen him live quite a bit. Have a great time.

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2019, 09:10:13 pm »
After having the great pleasure (and fun) of working with Brian I can safely say that this guy can make reading the shopping list appear both interesting and funny!
Brian, you're a star mate!

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 436
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2019, 09:29:09 pm »
Whoo-hoo

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2019, 12:46:08 am »
Well, in summary: Believe the hype. Justin is a really engaging, sound and chilled dude.
Even if he thinks I’m a plonker- mission accomplished:
Mr. Wonka is aware of this plonker now!

I'm so glad you've stuck around. Opening your posts is like going to a treasure chest, never knowing what I'll find. I'm never disappointed. I do hope that you are coming to terms with the passing of your brother. Hope it's not too personal an observation and it may be incorrect, but I thought your eyes looked sad in your last video. Be gentle with your good self, mate.

Online brianlarsen

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 51
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2019, 03:00:38 pm »
Congrats mate! Very glad you had a good chat with J himself. Keep playing!
Thanks  :)

Sounds like a hoot. I also felt like I overshared with him. 
Thanks Lynn,
It was and I'm glad I'm not the only one  ;)

Thanks for sharing,  Brian. I think my experience was similar, though not shared with your wonderful flair for telling a story
Thanks David, but we're giving up self-deprecation.
You gave a great account of your lesson (wordsmithery, I think Max called it  ;))

Nick cave in Manchester sounds great. I'm a big fan and i've seen him live quite a bit. Have a great time
Mr Cave is probably my favourite artist. I've seen him a couple of times (and touched the hand of God last summer at Roskilde festival  :)

After having the great pleasure (and fun) of working with Brian I can safely say that this guy can make reading the shopping list appear both interesting and funny!
Brian, you're a star mate!
The pleasure was all mine, Neil.
If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have had this experience!
We're co-stars  8) 8)

Whoo-hoo

Apologies for teasing you Richard.
If I had known you look like that I never would have referred to Oompa Loompas  :-[

I'm so glad you've stuck around. Opening your posts is like going to a treasure chest, never knowing what I'll find. I'm never disappointed. I do hope that you are coming to terms with the passing of your brother. Hope it's not too personal an observation and it may be incorrect, but I thought your eyes looked sad in your last video. Be gentle with your good self, mate.
That's very kind, Maggie.
Thanks for your concern; you're very perceptive- but it's not mourning (I'm doing well on that front).
You are probably picking up on some discomfort from my tooth which looks like it's going to need root canal treatment  ;) :(

Get The Forum As A Mobile App