Author Topic: The SKYPE Sessions ...  (Read 3912 times)

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
Re: The SKYPE Sessions ...
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2018, 11:01:26 pm »
Cool, fox! I found my nerves calmed right down in his presence. He's a pretty soothing person. And a great teacher. Sounds like you had fun.

I've noticed my playing is getting better since my lesson. I was kind of stalled at the same place for a long time, mostly because I lack ambition and am just happy writing the kind of songs I write. But somehow he broke through and I think I'm seeing an improvement.

Also, I got a new (used) acoustic guitar yesterday, and was not too shy to play in front of people at Guitar center. Justin said to start small! Haha. It used to be a big deal for me to even play in a guitar store, and yesterday I wasn't even nervous. Dave said I was even singing, which I don't remember. I must've been in a zone. Haha.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:37:58 am by close2u »

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2018, 11:09:42 pm »
Good stuff.
These stories are great and inspirational for many I'm sure.
 8)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 172
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2018, 04:38:30 am »
Well I have had my Skype session in the end :

Now I'm working on what I promised to do this year: a first-take A/V of an improv, where I will try to incorporate what I've just learnt.

Thanks again Justin, it was a rare pleasure and a honour!
Thanks for sharing, Fox.

As I read each post lesson feedback, I am further convinced that this works well and the gift of feedback plus the reward of the lesson is good for the monthly contest.

Looking forward to the a/v of an improv !!

Offline ToneBender

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 03:49:55 pm »
Hi everyone, hope everything's going well in the justinguitar community ...

Haven't been on the forum in a while but i thought i'd swing by and share my experience with Justin. Close2u asked me to do it a while back and I completely forgot about it

The skype lesson wasn't really a lesson I guess, more like a conversation.
We didn't actually talk about how to play the guitar that much because I wanted his advice on teaching. I've been playing for ten years and started teaching two years ago, so I figured I needed more help in that area.
 He gave me some advice on teaching rythm and we both agreed on the fact that rythm is key when you're a musician, but it's also very tricky to explain and teach. You can teach the mathematical theory behind it like how to divide a bar and how to ''remove'' or ''add'' notes in a rythm pattern but the ''groove'' is hard to describe, and you can't teach something that you're having trouble defining yourself. It's more absctract and personal than mathematical I guess... I've spent more and more time on rythm with my students since then but now i feel comforted by the fact that I'm not the only one struggling with this aspect of teaching music ;)

One of the main advice that Justin gave me during the session was that it is really important to define stages in the student's progression and he suggested that i went on his website to see which songs he taught for each stage, especially in the beginner's section. He said I could use the website as a reference, and I thank him for that. The website is great for learning how to play but I also find it great as a teacher because it's well organised. It's like a roadmap for me now.

Anyway, thank you Justin for your dedication as a teacher, I've been using the website for ten years now and will continue to do so, as long as you keep teaching Neil Young tunes :)

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2018, 07:45:52 pm »
Hey all!  Such interesting feedback in all the Skype lessons. Lynn, I didn’t know you were shy. Same here. Terrifies me. And the pointer on the Bm chord is perfect timing in my learning process.

Sent from my iPhone using JustinGuitar.com Forum

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2018, 04:07:11 am »
Hey all!  I had a very successful Skype meeting with Justin this month.  As others have said, he is very relatable and I felt very comfortable with him. 
Topics I had for him:
•   We discussed the pros/cons of audio vs video uploads to the forum.  How a video can show the viewer what you are doing right or wrong.  The viewer can then help you improve your form or whatever needs improvement.  Also, he said there are software programs out there that can help you sync your video with your vocals.  So I plan on doing a little research on that.  I enjoy video’s myself, but also realize that uploading an audio is much easier.  I have done both and will continue doing both most likely but will try to upload videos more often now, hopefully.
•   I told him that I have issues with memory – poor cognitive skills, I guess.  He gave me a few tips.  He said it could help if I put my repertoire of songs in a book; put the ones I know in the front and the ones I’m working on in the back.  And at least once a week, go back over all of them to keep them fresh in my memory.  He suggested having a printout to help remember the visual quality of the page.  It can actually help to remember what the page looked like in your memory.  He suggested to simplify the song I’m learning into the most basic chunks.  He also gave me the name of a man who has written books on memory and has a website that can help with that.  (http://www.tonybuzan.com).  But also, he said it’s OK to make a little cheat sheet if absolutely necessary.  Just put the basic chords on it, maybe the beginning lines of the verses and/or chorus.  Make it large enough to see, but not so large that it is so obvious. 
•   I brought up the dreaded Bm Chord.  He told me about the “air change” technique.  I used to have that in my practice routine in the beginning stages, but had stopped doing it.  So I’m going to add that back in along with the Strum/Pick/Strum practice.  I also played a little of “Thank You” by Dido for him which has the Bm Chord, so he could see how I was playing it.  I was a little nervous, playing and singing, but he gave me some good suggestions.  So that was pretty neat.  Yeah, I messed up and sang a little nervous.  Hehe!  But it wasn’t too bad.
•   We discussed the use of the Capo.  The Capo can be moved up and down the fret board, according to a person’s own vocals.  It doesn’t have to be exactly where it’s placed in the lessons. 
•   I had seen a video of his way back when, about an ergonomic seat.  But I couldn’t find it, so he told me what it is.  It’s called Sitfit by Sissal.  I’m probably going to get me one.  I believe it will help relieve my back discomfort I have while sitting on my low futon when I’m practicing every night.
•   I showed him my daily practice routine.  He said I was probably doing too much at a time.  (I practice about 50 minutes, plus about 20 minutes of the songs I’m currently learning and rotating the songs I’m trying to keep in memory.  He helped me break it down into more manageable chunks.  He said I should do half of them one month and the other half in the second month. 
To summarize it all, I felt like it was a great session and I really appreciate Justin for all his hard work and commitment to all of us.  I think the advice he gave me about toning down my practice routine will help a lot.  Oh yeah!  He challenged me to perform in front of real people, because I had told him that I’ve never played in front of anybody before except for my grandkids, and that I will sit out on my back porch and play, but that’s all.  So he said in six months to get the family together and play a Christmas song for them.  So I told him I would.  Yikes!  He said everybody gets nervous and that it’s not as bad after you’ve done it once.  So we will see – MAYBE!  I think actually, I would be more inclined to find a place where people are just walking by, that I don’t know, and see if they will stop to listen.  Is that called Busking?! ;)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2018, 08:28:43 am »
@ pkboo

Wonderful. Thanks for a great update and sharing how the tips and learning that Justin offered is going to help you - and hopefully others too. :)

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2018, 02:52:49 pm »
Thanks for sharing your lesson with us Pam - it sounds excellent! It sounds like you got a ton out of it, some good feedback and directions, and it also sounds like it was good fun. Thanks for writing up all the details for us.
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2018, 09:38:34 pm »
Yay Pam! I'm so glad that worked out after our not so helpful Skype practice run. Haha. I was worried. It sounds like you're going to benefit a lot from that lesson. I don't know what it is about Justin, but he really made a huge difference in my playing. I feel like my strumming and rhythm is much more confident. I can't wait to hear you put his advice to use!

Lynn

Offline pkboo3

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 43
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 09:04:02 pm »
Richard, embishop, & Lynn. You’re welcome. I was glad to do it. Helps me also to write down what I learned. Lynn, the video and audio worked fine. Justin also got to meet my husband, & grandson; and he saw my two dogs.  I had everybody outside my bedroom, but they all slipped in & out at some point.  It was fun to let Justin see them all.

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 10:22:44 pm »
Haha, I had mine when no one was home. But that sounds really sweet. I'm so glad it worked!
Richard, embishop, & Lynn. You’re welcome. I was glad to do it. Helps me also to write down what I learned. Lynn, the video and audio worked fine. Justin also got to meet my husband, & grandson; and he saw my two dogs.  I had everybody outside my bedroom, but they all slipped in & out at some point.  It was fun to let Justin see them all.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App