Author Topic: The SKYPE Sessions ...  (Read 3897 times)

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 33
Re: The SKYPE Sessions ...
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 09:57:56 pm »
One more thing I forgot.....

Justin and I had a conversation early in the session which I thought I would share as I found it really interesting and counter-intuitive. We were talking about vocal style - each of us has a unique voice and we have to find our own vocal style. I try to copy the artists that I'm recording in order to (eventually!) find my own style - haven't succeeded yet, but will keep trying. Justin then explained that he went through a period of vocal training from some top voice coaches to try to improve his vocals. After a sustained period of this he happened to be jamming with a friend of his who's in the music business, who made the comment that Justin was not singing with his own voice any longer, rather, all of the traditional vocal coaching had him singing in a traditional, coached manner. Justin asked the friend how he thought Justin should be singing and the friend said that it should be in Justin's own voice - however he wanted it to sound. Justin took this advice and started to sing in a more natural, but rougher manner, rather than the professional, coached manner and had much more authentic sounding results. Whilst I'm sure Justin would not downplay the benefits of receiving proper musical training, whether for voice or instrument, I think his point was that it is not always the best way forward. I hope I've explained this properly if not, perhaps Justin can jump in and recap in his words as I think it's an interesting point worth sharing.
Neil

Offline glpguitar

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 10:52:55 am »
This is an awesome piece of information! Really useful to hear real life experience. Thanks for sharing. And I am sure you will find your own voice soon(er or larer :) )

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 11:46:10 am »
Yes, it is good to hear these sort of experiences.

The point about voice training is an interesting one. From personal experience, I sang in choirs when I was young (boy soprano) at school and in church. I was lucky to have had training in how to sing. In other words, how to breathe and how to preserve my vocal cords. That was all. There was no question of shaping my voice to be something it wasn't.

In later life I sang in folk groups and developed my own sound for that - harmony singing is huge fun. I still sing in church and enjoy it. While I don't have the vocal range I used to I can still enjoy singing by myself and with others.
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 06:20:18 pm »
I'm too chicken to collect my Skype lesson. Haha.

I'm a scaredy cat.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 09:09:39 pm »

I'm a scaredy cat.

Come on, Lynn, you write songs that sound good, with interesting lyrics, you sing well and you play pretty well also. Your abilities have been recognised in every contest by Justin. Just go hang out and talk about song writing, album making, music marketing and maybe a little about playing. And if it gets awkward just pretend to struggle to be hearing and drop the call  ;)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 12:05:37 am »
Love in ... as Mrs adoyle might say ...
Go on go on go on go on go on. :)

Offline phx1973

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 31
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 02:16:33 am »

I'm a scaredy cat.

Now that’s hilarious. You can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BC completed August, 2016
Currently In Intermediate Method - Foundation 3
Gear: Fender Standard Tele, Gibson Les Paul Junior, Epiphone Hummingbird Pro (Acoustic), Fender Bassbreaker 15 Amp, Fender Mustang I amp

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 01:06:15 pm »
Okay, I did it. I got up the nerve. I had my lesson yesterday. It was awesome.

I had a bit of anxiety before hand, mostly because I had never used Skype and couldn't test it out beforehand. Connecting worked, but it was several minutes into my lesson before I realized that although I could see Justin, he couldn't see me. Haha. Oops. He thought I was being shy. I just didn't know I had to hit the video button.

But for anyone who is shy, Justin was very understanding of that, and you don't have to put yourself on video to have your lesson. You can still see him. I would not recommend this, though, because then he can't see if there's a physical issue going on, like mine, which was lifting my hand too far off the strings, and hitting some strings I shouldn't.

Before the lesson, I emailed him a list of things I wanted to talk about, and that's what we did. He was very kind and helpful. We mostly chatted about songwriting, engineering and mastering an LP.

We also talked about guitar practice. He said the most important thing to practice is rhythm. He suggested playing along with songs I like the rhythm of, with muted strings.

Then we worked on one of my problems. Bm is my nemesis, especially when coming from G. I knew the answer was to practice, but he gave me a really specific prescription of 5 minutes of changes from G to Bm really slowly, with strum pick out strum to make sure every note rings out, followed by 5 -1 minute changes. I will do it.

At that point, he had answered all my emailed questions, and there was still time left. I told him that I was happy, and we could end early, but he would have none of that, and started asking about my weather. Luckily I quickly thought of something else to talk about. Making small talk is not my forte. That would have been awkward. Haha.

So, then we talked about stage fright. I told him my physical symptoms, and he assured me it's really normal to have them. He told me if I want to perform, I should start in front of a small group of friends and then maybe do an open mic, working my way up incrementally until I was playing arenas. Haha.

He pointed out the worst thing that could happen would be forgetting the words, singing off key, or forgetting the chords, and even if those things happen, and even if I get booed off stage, it really isn't a big deal. But he told me how to write a cheat sheet so I'd be less likely to forget things in the heat of the moment.

That's about it. I didn't cry, even at the end when I told him how much he changed my life.

Thanks again Justin. That was fun!
Lynn

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 392
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2018, 01:27:00 pm »
Ace! :)
So glad you did it.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Online embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 67
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 05:52:40 pm »
Lynn that certainly does sound like an awesome lesson! Thanks for putting in all the detail. I'm not surprised at all that Justin teaches so much for the individual, in my books he's the best guitar teacher ever and my experience is just from his videos! :)
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 168
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2018, 07:21:11 pm »
So thrilled to hear you overcame the nerves and had your lesson, Lynn. And thanks for sharing all the details. What a wonderful experience.

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2018, 10:25:14 am »
Awesome, Lynn! Good to see that all went well, but really I had no doubt :)
I'm booking my session now, so I will have something to post soon too.

Offline redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 56
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2018, 02:32:11 pm »
Awesome, Lynn! Good to see that all went well, but really I had no doubt :)
I'm booking my session now, so I will have something to post soon too.
Can't wait to read about it. Be prepared with more questions than you think he can answer in an hour. Have fun!

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 151
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 07:01:22 pm »
Cool thread idea :)
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Fox Cunning

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 57
  • You are reading this line of text.
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 10:06:42 pm »
Well I have had my Skype session in the end :)

I was quite nervous, hands shaking, my skill level instantly went from beginner to newborn sloth with no arms... but Justin was just as cool and encouraging as you all can imagine.
He is such a positive person, and always points out what you're doing well first, and then makes you focus on the issues you should work on.

He gave me sound advice on all the topics I enquired about, and all he said made sense in such a way that I was left pondering: "How did I not think about this myself, it's obvious!".

For example, in order to improve my bends, he advised me to play on an actual backing track -- I most often play on just a drum beat so I am not limited to a particular key/range of modes, but it's a lot easier to notice if I am bending out of key when there is a backing track in that specific key!

Now I'm working on what I promised to do this year: a first-take A/V of an improv, where I will try to incorporate what I've just learnt.

Thanks again Justin, it was a rare pleasure and a honour!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App