Author Topic: The 1-to-1 Sessions ...  (Read 42887 times)

Offline kontenda

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 29
Re: The 1-to1 Sessions ...
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2020, 04:32:21 am »
Sounds like a great lesson, thanks for sharing a write up Paraic. I’m going to try that 5th of the 5th chord change, and other possibilities. I’ve noticed that one in particular in certain songs where you would think the chord shouldn’t work in that key but it does. That little example basically explains it to me now.

Mari
Hi Mari,
I have been messing around with that this morning. If I remember correctly Justin said you can do it with any chord in a key. So I played G, Bm and F#Major(5th chord in key of B) - sounded good to me. G - Am - E Major sounded good. I am always wary of writing about music theory as I don't know enough about it. If what I am saying here is incorrect - then hopefully a more knowledgeable person will correct it.

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2020, 03:31:36 pm »
I’m going to try that 5th of the 5th chord change, and other possibilities. I’ve noticed that one in particular in certain songs where you would think the chord shouldn’t work in that key but it does. That little example basically explains it to me now.

Mari

It's called the secondary dominant  chord. It's how the circle of 5th is laid out.
A good example of this is Hey Joe.
C G D A E.
G is the 5 of C, D is the 5 of G and so on.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
    • My Road Case
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2020, 08:45:55 pm »
I had my Google Meet session with Justin this afternoon. As others have said, he's a really great guy to talk to.

The main focus of the session was where I was on my guitar learning journey and where I go next. As I had told Justin, I consider myself an Intermediate player but between work, travel, and learning the bass I've not picked up the guitar that much over the last couple of years.

I had some great progress with a local guitar teacher up until a couple of years ago, and a few years ago I had passed the RGT Rock Guitar Grade 5 exam and was looking at grade 6. I learned the songs I needed to a reasonable standard, but I always felt lacking in the other areas.

I think, on reflection and after discussing this with Justin that I had met my original aims that I had when I first started playing, and now was more interested in consolidating and using those skills than in chasing Grade 6. For me the grading system was a way of focussing my learning on something concrete and that worked for me up to Grade 5 but not so much after that. After all, like most of us, I do this for pleasure, and developing the skills for grade 6 was requiring a lot of time and effort and creating a lot of stress and I think I wasn't enjoying it any more.

The other area we talked about was focus: I think I have said this on the forum before, but I may have a little ADD because I sometimes find it hard to focus on one thing and stick with it. I find it really hard to stick to a practice routine because I find myself exploring other things and drifting away from my routine, or just forgtting to do it.

Justin pointed out this wasn't uncommon and suggsted some strategies to help with this. For a start he suggested that I build multiple schedules covering different aspects of guitar playing, which could be technical exercises of different types, but could also include just learning songs. The idea is that I select the schedule that appeals to me when I sit down to practice. And that I should give myself permission to not play guitar at all if I don't feel like it.

We also discussed recordig myself, as this is something that I really want to try to do more of. Justin re-iterated how useful it was as a way of checking your playing and progress, as well as focusing on the performance aspects of playing. He supported the idea that I try to build some multi-track pieces from the ground up using my DAW and other tools as it would give me a great insight into song construction and production techniques as well as allow me to develop skills in other areas. He felt it might appeal to my ADD nature too.

Finally we talked about some Major Pentatonic techniques and how I might develop my playing there. He gave me a couple of exercises that I'm going to put into one of my routines as well as road-map of how to develop beyond those once I had them under my fingers.

So it was a really useful session for me. I just need to start putting things into practice. Once again, thank you Justin.

Cheers,

Keith

Offline tobyjenner

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 287
  • You're never too old to Rock'n'Roll
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2020, 10:07:57 pm »
Thanks for sharing Keith. Sounds like a really productive session and I hope that it helps you move forward.

Cheers

Toby
 8)
Here since Mar 2013 Completed BC, RUST 1 & 2, IM, MTMS Still on Blues Rhythm and Blues Lead
https://soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ
Roadcase : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=39537

Offline J.W.C.

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2020, 10:27:19 pm »
We also discussed recording myself, as this is something that I really want to try to do more of.

Very cool, and judging from your road case thread, you definitely have the tools you might need. I'd love to hear some recordings.

Thanks for the report on the session. Sounds like you had a good one.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2020, 07:52:08 am »
@Majik https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=42493.msg431521#msg431521

Keith,

Thanks for sharing the summary. Glad you had an enjoyable, productive session.

So much to learn and enjoy in guitar playing and music making/production.  I guess we could all spend all day on various aspects, if there weren't so many other things that one must, need, want to do.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 141
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2020, 08:29:23 am »
Always good to hear feedback on these sessions and it sounds like it's always really useful to the individual. I can sympathise with you on the stress associate with RGT exams. I'm pursuing the same track and it definitely get's more stressful when you get a target date for an exam. I have to admit though I do find it focuses the mind as you've said.
Epiphone DR500MCE, Pacifica 112V, HB Tele, PRE SE Custom, Katana 100, Trio Plus, Line 6 PodGo mfx
My Band: https://www.facebook.com/retrospectivemusicuk/
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0A

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2020, 09:40:44 am »
@Majik
I'm so glad you got around to the Skype session Keith. And it seems you had an outstandingly productive and useful time. :)

Offline glpguitar

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2020, 10:21:50 pm »
This sounds like a super productive session! And quite a few useful tips for others in here as well!

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2020, 10:29:40 pm »
I had my lesson with Justin last night. Pure gold. My heart is filled with so much appreciation for the time he spent with me.

Buying an electric guitar
It’s a super personal thing. Might not be the most expensive it’s about finding the vibe. The most important thing is that I like it, how it looks, how it feels against my body and in my hands, how it plays. Look at second hand guitars. Buying a new guitar is like driving a car, as soon as you drive it, it’s lost value. Justin buys most of his guitars second hand.

Electric guitar posture.

With an electric I can’t rest the forearm on the top as you do with an acoustic. If there is a jumper in the way the muscles in the upper arm have to hold the arm up. Roll sleeves up so the skin on the forearm creates friction with contact with the guitar for a grip.

Stage Fright
First step is to figure out where the problem comes from. I’ve done that. It’s like plotting a course, make it incremental or some throw themselves in the deep end, face the nightmare, do an Open Mic.  Gentler would be to do it for a small group of friends and family.  Awesome and super courageous that I’ve faced my fear with my first Open Mic last year.

Almost everyone he has met who performs, including himself, feels these feelings. Dry mouth, sticky hands, elevated heart rate. All a normal reaction. Learn to recognize this collection of feelings that would be categorized as nervousness or anxiety as being normal feelings. Even Keith Richards and people who’ve done a gazillion shows talk about these feelings. Keith said ‘Oh my hands are sticky, it’s time to go on’. It changed Justin’s perception of these feelings. ‘Oh I've got butterflies,  I’m about to do that thing that I really love doing. This is a precursor that I’m about to do the thing I like to do’.

Expect those normal feelings. The only thing that can muck it up is the mind games, the psychological response.

My motivation is that I’m doing the thing the thing I love that connects me with others.

Posture and Stage Fright
I played a song I wrote last year, haven’t posted a recording of it as yet. It’s called Hope Dies Last.

To say I was nervous would be an understatement. It's taken me months to find the guts to make a lesson time with Justin. How he made any sense of my incoherent babbling is testament to his perceptiveness and talent. It was some of the worst stage fright I've experienced.  :o ??? ::) :-[

When I'm nervous I can't lift my eyes from the guitar or look at anyone. It took me most of the song to be able to lift my head and look at Justin. This song I play with my eyes closed very often. I have no need to look at the fret or my right hand.

Never hold a flag up and make something I’m not happy about obvious to the audience. No flagging mistakes, no commentary, no shaking my head if a chord doesn’t go right. It’s habit forming, the more I do this when I practice the more it becomes a habit. Then it becomes more likely to happen when I play for an audience. Get out of the habit.   If the audience thinks I’m not happy with what I’m doing, this interferes with the connection with them, it can break the connection. If it becomes part of my practise routine it becomes part of my performance.

The self critical commentary breaks my connection with the song, and the guitar and if I’m performing, the audience. The same thing applies with recording. When I practice, practice being in my happy place.  It’s a place where nothing matters. It doesn’t mean that nothing is important.  The space of Nothing is important.  When I play, get to a place of playing where I’m not thinking about anything, it just happens. Get lost in this place.

Practise is to automate it so I can switch into that other zone, a place of nothing.  It’s very much like the space called meditation. Thoughts come and go, it’s an empty place but it’s not.

Stop looking at my hands when I change chords. The frantic motion of looking at every chord change takes me out of my happy place.  Constant head movement gives me an air of not being confident. It makes the connection weird.   I don’t need to do this with either hand.  As my head moves back and forth, this squeezes the voice box, mic won’t pick me up. Play in a black room, blindfold myself, close my eyes. Build up my confidence doing this over the months ahead.  There are times I’ll need to look, a big jump, something complicated, when something goes wrong. 

Future Direction
I've been feeling lost and to be honest, like a loser going backwards at a rapid rate.

Writing and the creative thing are the strongest drives in me. A specific course eg Jazz Chords, Blues Improv isn’t really compatible with my goals. The most inspiring would be to continue to learn songs I love and as I find things in the songs that I love, explore them further eg drop D. Look at how I can use these chords in my own songs.

Recording is a good adventure for me. It gives me something tangible I’ve made in a few hours. That builds a sense of achievement and progress. The feedback can be enlightening and super valuable. Don’t let it be a self-critical thing. Allow it to notify me.

This next bit is pure gold. Tears mist my eyes every time I read it. It brings an enlightenment and an expansive perspective that gives me permission and impetus to grow with grace, ease and joy in my own way. I'm liberated from feeling driven by the lists of all the things I should be learning and mastering and never getting there.

Let go of the idea of having to progress in a linear fashion. Just because someone can play fancy s***t doesn’t mean they’re a better musician. It’s an art. Find the things that resonate with me. Focus on those rather than thinking I need to be better. Do things that are fun.   I can improve myself and how I sound, how well I get in the zone, how I express myself in the zone. It’s about learning things that resonate with me and exploring those things, finding things I think are really cool, and absorbing them into my palette of things I can use when I write.

Thankyou Lieven and Richard for putting my name forward, thankyou Justin for this precious gift you've given me.  :-* :-* :-*

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:28:09 am by batwoman »

Offline stitch101

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 257
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2020, 11:31:14 pm »
Good read Maggie. Lots of food for thought.

Justin has a way of pulling things out that you didn't know you had.
When I had my lesson with him it amazed me how he knows what you need
and lays it out right there in front of you.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
    • My Road Case
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2020, 12:32:09 am »
Hi Maggie,
Thank you for posting this. It resonates with me a lot, and also echos some of the discussion I had with Justin. But you expanded  and described it so much better than I could.

I'm glad you got so much out of your lesson, and that you shared it with us. There's so much  good advice and stuff to learn here. And I feel as much as is coming from Justin, a lot of it is coming from you and your exploration of your situation and the application of Justin's advice to it.

Thank you.

Keith

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2020, 12:52:07 am »
Good read Maggie. Lots of food for thought.

Justin has a way of pulling things out that you didn't know you had.
When I had my lesson with him it amazed me how he knows what you need
and lays it out right there in front of you.

You're so right stitch. He has a talent for meeting people where they are and being able to reflect what he sees in a potent way. The last bit he said blew me away stitch, every word landed loud and clear. He really read me well despite my babbling and waving my hands around, which is what I do when I'm nervous.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2020, 12:56:23 am »
Hi Maggie,
Thank you for posting this. It resonates with me a lot, and also echos some of the discussion I had with Justin. But you expanded  and described it so much better than I could.

I'm glad you got so much out of your lesson, and that you shared it with us. There's so much  good advice and stuff to learn here. And I feel as much as is coming from Justin, a lot of it is coming from you and your exploration of your situation and the application of Justin's advice to it.

Thank you.

Keith

It's a long post and all about me, me, me ... so fascinating  ;D   but I wrote it this way as I think much of what Justin observed and said is universal. I'm glad there was something there for you Keith.

Offline DavidP

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 419
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2020, 04:53:04 am »
@Batwoman  https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=42493.msg433406#msg433406

Maggie,

So thrilled to read this, delighted that the experience was so enjoyable, informative, and inspirational.  And to cap it you have given us an excellent account, that in itself delivers much wisdom and inspiration for all of us.  Bless you for taking so much time and trouble to share both the content and how much it meant to you.

I look forward to continuing to share in your adventure through the covers, the originals, the Road Case, and all the observations and encouragement you share in such a wonderful way with all of us.
Began the adventure Dec 2016 expecting little, achieved more than I imagined, and now I'm a happy advancing beginner
Road Case: https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=41958.0
My Music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2X_TlNs7agW-U0EBCDdbw

Offline sairfingers

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 128
  • 󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿“Keep that one, mark it fab”. Paul McCartney.
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2020, 09:25:01 am »
..... I think much of what Justin observed and said is universal....
That’s exactly what I was thinking as I read your very comprehensive account Maggie. So much useful generic content there. Thanks so much for sharing and I’m so pleased you enjoyed and benefited from the one on one with Justin.
Studying Intermediate Course. Pickin’ an’ lickin’….😎
Martin D28 : Gibson SG : Boss Katana 50
Road case : https://justinguitarcommunity.com/index.php?topic=48801.0

Offline brianlarsen

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 152
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2020, 12:15:41 pm »
Lovely account of your session, Maggie.

It's as if you heard from Justin what you already thought/knew, but needed to hear him say.
That's an invaluable skill for any teacher to possess.

So are you gonna share the song with the forum?  ;)
Rock on, gurl  \m/

Offline rwoodlin

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 6
  • Hands of brick
« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2020, 01:28:12 pm »
Maggie, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post.
As others have stated, I found a lot in your description of your lesson that I can take to heart.
Thank-you.
Robert
Regards,
Robert

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2020, 09:26:58 pm »
So are you gonna share the song with the forum?  ;)
Rock on, gurl  \m/

Ah Brian, you're a treat. Yep I'm gonna share Hope Dies Last, been plodding along with a multi track recording for a while. It may end up as a one take spontaneous outburst.

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2020, 09:27:43 pm »
Maggie, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post.
As others have stated, I found a lot in your description of your lesson that I can take to heart.
Thank-you.
Robert

Glad it was of meaning and use to you Robert.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 222
  • Black country bloke, ijut intollerant 😂
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2020, 09:51:27 pm »
I’m so glad your Skype with Justin was fruitful Maggie, sounds like it was just what you needed! I think that you now know more about what you want to do rather than ‘should do’, there’s a world of a difference; it’s something that I’ve realised myself after years of getting frustrated because there were things that I couldn’t do - realistically I needed to be realistic about my goals. Since accepting my limitations with my condition and starting again I’ve been happier and have started to achieve more than I thought that I could.
You have achieved so much since we first crossed paths it’s all down to hard work and persistence, you will get where you want to be with your musicianship (or I’ll eat my hat 😂)!
Still here, still learning and still a monumentally stubborn old f4rt 😂

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 680
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2020, 09:21:52 am »
Maggie - at last. You did it. I know that impediments and bad luck have delayed your skype. What a treat reading your reflections and take-away thoughts. I definitely want to hear Hope Dies Last now too. :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2020, 12:25:39 am »
I definitely want to hear Hope Dies Last now too. :)

Workin' on it boss  :)

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 221
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2020, 12:36:17 am »
Since accepting my limitations with my condition and starting again I’ve been happier and have started to achieve more than I thought that I could.
You have achieved so much since we first crossed paths it’s all down to hard work and persistence, you will get where you want to be with your musicianship (or I’ll eat my hat 😂)!

I'm glad to know you've reset your goals and that's bringing satisfaction and a sense of achievement Darrell. I think part of the shift in mind-set for those of us who get locked into lists of things to do, all the 'shoulds' and the 'try harder' mentality, is to be more flexible and expansive in exploring other ways of making music in ways we consider as progress and growth. Hard work and persistence for me needs to be tempered with enjoyment and creativity.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 124
  • Guitar-Goddess-In-Training
« Reply #149 on: November 14, 2020, 11:20:50 pm »
After having my 1 hour time limit kill my lengthy post, my much shorter version is -

Keith, I just saw your write up now. Sounds like an excellent lesson, thanks so much for sharing. Justin seems to have a way with pinpointing where people are and what they need to do in their guitar journey to get where they're going. Lots of what you learned from your lesson is also what I could learn. Focus. Thanks for sharing!

Maggie, from you too, future direction, and progressing in a linear fashion isn't what makes us better musician. Much gold in there to ponder! Thanks for sharing your lesson :)

Mari
“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.” ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Get The Forum As A Mobile App