Author Topic: The SKYPE Sessions ...  (Read 12514 times)

Offline Balamuthiah

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 50
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Re: The SKYPE Sessions ...
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2019, 09:57:49 pm »

Ha ha.
That puts me in mind of a famous radio commentary slip-of-the-tongue that rendered the presenters of Test Match Special unable to speak for several minutes:

England vs West Indies @ The Oval 1976
"The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey"

Oh boy that sure is an awkward moment right there! :D

Offline batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 113
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2019, 11:15:58 pm »

Ha ha.
That puts me in mind of a famous radio commentary slip-of-the-tongue that rendered the presenters of Test Match Special unable to speak for several minutes:

England vs West Indies @ The Oval 1976
"The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey"

Richard this is a gem, thanks for the share.  ;D ;D ;D

Even greater thanks for the gold you've shared and the special thread. You are a phenomenon.

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2019, 09:56:45 am »
Brian I loved the tale you told!

It sounds as though you got a lot out of the session which is amazing!

I bet meeting Justin has motivated you all the more to practice hard and to keep improving!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2019, 03:12:21 pm »
Gareth,
Great stuff, sounds like you're progressing really well. Glad to see you've got your first (of many?) electrics!
Neil

Offline aloise1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 5
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2019, 05:24:50 pm »
Sorry for the delay, finally taking a few moments to post about my Skype session with Justin on August 15th.......

As some of you may know, my performance of my original song, "I Hear My Own Music" ( https://youtu.be/foPWVHguGMY ) was selected as the "winning" entry for the song competition that concluded in June. There were so many excellent entries this past quarter so imagine my surprise (and honor) to be chosen!

Justin Sandercoe as you all know (or should know) is exactly in person as he is in his videos! He is very down to earth, interested in helping you learn and most importantly I think, wants everyone to succeed in their own way!

I prepared for my meeting with Justin by thinking thru where I am in my guitar journey right now, six years in, so much I don't know or think I should know! I sent Justin some examples of other things I have done, expressed to him what I like to do at this moment in time and then lastly gave him some specific things that I hope to discuss during our hour session.

My questions probably centered around these 3 main topics (although we did discuss other things as well)

- soloing
- fingerstyle
- dynamics

On my end, I was ready to go! I had warmed up the amp, had an electric guitar plugged in and tuned for my soloing questions, an acoustic ready for the fingerstyle and dynamics discussion. Justin knows that these sessions are important to each of us that earns one so after some brief pleasantries, he dug right in!

And he is fast, he can see things that I am doing and immediately pick up on something that can help me! A pinky not being used, weaknesses in my soloing "method" (had to do with my partial knowledge of the fretboard. He demonstrated for me, listened to me both play and talk and pointed me in the right direction on all three topics!

I couldn't have asked for any more! It was a great hour talking and interacting with one of my guitar heros as if we were equals! What a great person and what a great session! We concluded on time, spoke about some of his off site sessions, asked if he was coming to the states! He wished me great success, assured me I was doing great, suggested some of his courses for what we had spoken about and our session concluded.

........or so I thought! About 3 days after our session, Justin posted this video:

https://youtu.be/mP4knhljqj0

You can hear the shout out he gave me a few seconds into the video! (and I NEVER said "dude, why haven't you got a lesson like this on your site!?")........again, I just have to say, thank you Justin for teaching me to play the guitar!

Len Aloise
https://www.facebook.com/PoppysMusicPlace/
https://soundcloud.com/lenaloise/tracks
https://open.spotify.com/artist/5C2pZoXicGW2Q55WBJU5qP

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 237
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2019, 05:38:32 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Len.  It is quite an experience to connect with him in that way.  I wish you well as you continue the adventure and hope that in due course you'll post more videos over in AVOYP.

Offline embishop

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 83
  • Playing my way to a new way of thinking. ~ JG
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2019, 09:20:46 pm »
Thanks for posting about your Skype lesson Len, they're always so interesting to read.

Mari
Gretsch G5420T,  Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, Epiphone SG400, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Get The Forum As A Mobile App