Author Topic: Low E-string sounds loud  (Read 416 times)

Offline clembo

• Good Vibes 0
Low E-string sounds loud
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:06:15 pm »
Hi

I have a Yamaha ERG 121 (electric) and my low E-string sounds loud or a little out of tune (but it shouldn't be out of tune as I tune it regularly and all the rest of the strings sound fine). You would think I should be able to tell if its one or the other, but its difficult to pin it down. Just doesnt sound quite right.

Is this something anyone has come across before.

Thanks in anticipation of a reply.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
Re: Low E-string sounds loud
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 04:26:01 pm »
When was the last time you changed strings?
String not staying in tune is a sign they need changing.

Have you messed around with the action on your guitar? The intonation
could be off.

Have you ever had it set up by a guitar tech?  Guitars don't come set-up
right out of the box.

Offline clembo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:04:16 pm »
Strings are new.

I havent altered anything with the action. I bought the guitar secondhand a couple of years ago and its been ok until recently.

I was considering taking it to the local guitar tech to set it up, but thought it might be something simple to sort out myself.

It seems to be at its worst when I am playing REM 'Everybody hurts' as per Justins lesson there's a part when you pick the E string while holding down a G chord - sounds flat/loud.

actualy - thinking about it I might go to another part of the forum to ask if anyone else has had the same problem while playing that tune.

Offline sdd56

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 08:26:23 am »
I've got the same guitar, and from new I've felt that the low E sounded "boomy" when strumming, and dominates the chord. But I think that's probably my poor technique, catching the low E too hard when strumming. It's less noticeable when playing through an interface (on PC speakers), more noticeable using the Yamaha amp.

You might be able to hear it on my attempt at Wonderwall -

https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422/wonderwallv2-28oct2017

Have you checked that you are not pressing down too hard on the E string when you fret the G chord - if you check with a tuner it can make a big difference - the note goes sharp if you press too hard.

Edit to add - I put new strings on recently and it didn't make any difference.

Stan
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 7.
Yamaha F310 Acoustic, Washburn WD7
Yamaha ERG121 Electric.
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 08:44:55 am »
Fretted notes can be out of tune if you have a badly cut nut slot ... and the ERG is a budget guitar so this is possible or if you press too hard - making them sound sharp.
The string can sound louder if you 'twang' it too hard or if the pickup heights & balance is not well adjusted. You don't say if you're amplifying which is where the pickup issue may be a factor.
New strings never hurt anybody - nor did a setup.
 :)

Welcome to the forum.

ps
I'm going to ask that you stick to one thread per question so I'll edit your other post accordingly as I see this as a setup not a song-specific question.

Offline MrBumble

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 09:01:02 am »
Just a thought, if you are having this problem with the G chord in particular.

The G chord is a bit of a stretch (is for me any way) and I wonder if you are fretting the E string too far back from the fret wire. It's a problem I have from time to time (although I don't have the same guitar as you) if I haven't been doing my finger stretch exercises.

Offline clembo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 11:36:39 am »
Wow. Thanks for all the advice. The main points I get from the replies are

sdd56 - 'Boomy' is the right description and for the same guitar model - suspicious..

Close2u - appologies for the inconsistent posts. I will get the hang of it.. I have had a look at the nut looks ok but like you say its a cheap guitar I bought it second hand for £50 as my 1st guitar a couple of years ago. Also yes Im ampliyfing through a new Fender mustang GT40 (fantastic). I have little idea of pickup hights and balance and have never had it set up and the pickup switch is poor I have to keep cleaning the contacts with emery cloth and contact spray. Is that a common problem across electric guitars. I dont see Dave Gilmour stopping to clean his contacts every 5 minutes. I have tried picking light - heavy with light pressure - heavy pressure close to the fret -further back from the fret, obviousely that all makes a difference - but im pretty sure thats not it. Is it expensive to get a guitar professionaly setup and pickups fixed or is it better to cut losses and buy a better guitar.

MrBumble - as above

If I figure out how to use soundcloud I could post a sound bight. But that could be some time Iv'e only just worked out how to use the forum.. well sort of! Cheers.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 12:14:19 pm »
... I have to keep cleaning the contacts with emery cloth and contact spray.

Not good ... fixable but not good. It suggests a guitar that needs a thorough bout of TLC down to its innards.

... Is it expensive to get a guitar professionaly setup and pickups fixed or is it better to cut losses and buy a better guitar.

It depends where you live ... most techs in a local shop would charge £20-30 for a quick setup including new strings but if yours needs additional fixes which it seems to need then you're looking at even more.

The ERG is not a good guitar to begin with so probably not worth the additional cost.
Sell it for spares / repairs with full mention of the issues you describe - you should recoup a portion of your £50 outlay.

For less than £100 you can get a much better quality .

Yamaha Pacifica
112V is better than 112J is better than 012.

Squier Strat
Standard is better than Affinity which is much better than Bullet
Search on ebay, gumtree, facebook buy/sell groups.
Ask here for advice / approval if you're not sure.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:54:29 pm by close2u »

Offline clembo

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 02:09:20 pm »
Hmmm thanks for that. Seen a Pacifica 112J on gum tree £100 in my town... 2 months old, candy red looks nice...

Out of interest - I was reading some other threads with regards to Les Paul V's Strat. All very good stuff and it seems there is no right or wrong answer. But are the strings further apart on a les paul therefore making it easier for figer style picking. Or is it just my imagination.

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 337
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 03:00:14 pm »
... are the strings further apart on a les paul therefore making it easier for finger style picking. Or is it just my imagination.

Not width as such.
Fender Tele / Strat style have a longer scale length (distance between bridge saddles and nut) so the strings are under slightly greater tension than Les Paul / SG style guitars.
Some like dislike one or the other due to a preference either way.

I've sent a pm with some links also.

A 112J for £100 is okay although they go for less too.

Offline sdd56

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 03:04:35 pm »
I've just uploaded a D-G sequence - badly played as I haven't really got to fingerstyle yet.
Its recorded through an interface, not an amp.

https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422/d-g

I don't know about width but I know the scale length varies - Les Paul is shorter which I now know would probably suit me better, but may not be an issue for you.
Started BC Sept 2016, currently on stage 7.
Yamaha F310 Acoustic, Washburn WD7
Yamaha ERG121 Electric.
https://soundcloud.com/user-372122422
aka Stan

Get The Forum As A Mobile App