Author Topic: Mari's Road Case  (Read 3839 times)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Mari's Road Case
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 08:25:21 pm »
Mari,

I'm now all teased up and ready for you playing Layla.

You can insert a picture using the image button and one of the image urls of the image on imgur.  Just cant remember off hand which one, but that's how I embedded images in my Roadcase posts. Just try them out using preview before you post.

What a great guitar Nov. Thanks for the updates.

Offline MrBumble

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 15
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 09:52:47 pm »
Thanks for the update Mari.

I know how easy it is to get focused on a small part of a song. There are two or three I'm working on at the moment. One is in Am and I'm concentrating on the progressions in that, over and over again.

Normal people might find it tedious but once I start I can spend half an hour on them.

I regret not keeping up the guitar which I first started in my teens. If I had done I could perhaps have been good by now!
Guitars - Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Amplifiers -Marshall G30R CD, Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
  • What on earth was I going to do???
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 05:49:21 am »
Mari.........
Wow!!!
I have to say it’s been amazing to see your transformation, keep at it, the world is now your oyster 👍
Can’t wait to hear Layla, it’s one of my Clapton favourites- I never did manage to crack the intro, the timing and accents are hard 😉
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 02:22:14 am »
Thanks for the picture tip, David, I'll check it out. Oh and also - I realized today I can play Layla to speed on my electric guitar, so maybe it won't be too long after all!

MrBumble - I know what you're talking about for where I could be if I'd practiced more blah blah blah - I'm working on letting that go and just enjoying where I am now! 😃

And Darrel, thanks for the encouragement. Interestingly enough the timing is a bit of an issue on that song for sure, but the speed is much more difficult for me.
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 05:34:27 am »
Pleasure Mari

Ah...so the Layla will be more the Derek and the Dominoes sound than the EC MTV Unplugged vibe ... LB will be well pleased to hear a rockin' version  :)

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 01:32:59 pm »
Let me clear up that misconception right away David - it's definitely the acoustic version! I generally have my electric guitar at work (just started that this past summer) so most days I can get in 45 minutes practice time at lunch, so I learned that one on my electric first. They both play different, so there's a bit of a relearning process transferring to acoustic. However, learning riffs especially is much easier on electric. And overall the intent of having my electric guitar at work (with a Vox AmPlug) is met - reduced work stress! :)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 01:50:23 pm »
Ah, no worries ... either way going to be great !!

On adding pictures from Imgur ...

Once uploaded click on the picture, then click the copy button for direct link.  Paste that into the embed image tags.  Just did it over in the Purchases board  ;)

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 01:06:01 pm »
Thanks for the instructions on inserting a photo, David, I've got it now. I also realized it's impossible to do some things on an iPhone! Anyway ...

I wanted to track my practice time for myself, maybe I'll see some relationships between what I'm practicing and how I'm progressing too :)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 01:28:32 pm »
Always a pleasure to help, Mari.

Not that is a level of organisation that is beyond me  :) 

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 04:28:14 pm »
Well it’s the start of a New Year, and I’m looking forward to lots of guitar  It’s good for me to track my practice schedule, I see some areas I should focus on a bit more (technique!). I’m going to modify my schedule a bit more, because we’re always a work in progress , and I’ll see where I am next month!

Aiming for 20 hrs of practice time a month seems to be where I’m at. I’m going to see if I can organize my life a bit better and push that to 30. 30 still seems pretty small, but it’s a big (relative) increase over 20. I also spent quite a bit of time in the last days of the year trying to set up a DAW so I would have some recording options other than my iPhone. I was moderately successful in that thanks to several folks on this Forum who were really really really helpful! I have a system that works now, and a bit more understanding of the recording process, and a lot to learn …. Getting the start of a system up and running and working through all the frustrations that caused me might be my biggest accomplishment this month, but the best moment musically was finishing learning how to play Layla (acoustic).

Keep playing everyone 

Mari

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 05:03:12 am »
Hi Embishop.
I enjoyed reading this. Can see you are having fun. I also spend weeks trying to perfect the same section of a song. Good to see I am not alone. Looking forward to the rest of your story. Happy playing...

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:40:21 pm by close2u »

Offline LeftyLoosy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 10:05:56 pm »
>I have to say that I am getting so much enjoyment from playing / practicing / learning these days that there hasn’t been a single time I haven’t looked forward to picking up my guitar and learning something. [...] It really just lifts my soul [...].

That's fantastic!

Emotional investment is half of what makes a good musician. The other half might well be the ability to nit-pick yourself, which you seem to have down as well. :) Everything else might just as well flow from there.

I just listened to you having a go at Let It Be. Fantastic as well, though I may be biased because of that SG400 cameo.

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 05:48:41 pm »
Thanks Barend and LeftyLoosy. Lost a lot of my focus currently with some medical crap going on so much less structured right now but I'm thankful for the joy of keeping on playing :)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 188
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 07:22:42 pm »
Hope all medical stuff gets well sorted soon, Mari, and may your moments in music be moments of solace and joy.

Offline embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 03:10:01 pm »
Learning guitar is enjoyable to me both for the journey itself, and the anticipated destination. I approached learning on a very structured basis since I became an active member of the Forum last summer. And that was very enjoyable. It was awesome seeing improvements in technique, learning some songs all the way through when they had previously escaped me, challenging myself to try to put something creative in the competition each month. Life circumstances have changed a bit and I haven't even been able to play my guitar for about a month now. I watched JustinGuitar Rut Busters with The Captain - Ep.1 - The Language of Music yesterday and it was amazing. Now I'd like to get a bit into the blues, learn some licks, be able to use them. And I'd like to just follow whatever I feel like doing on a day. And learn some more songs. And I'd like to learn a particular song on the piano lol. So I expect that the rest of this year will be more about the journey than any eventual destination. No more charts, much less structure. But I'm here to have fun, and I'll be having fun 😃

Mari

"Don't you feel it growin', day by day
People gettin' ready for the news
Some are happy, some are sad
Oh, we got to let the music play
What the people need
Is a way to make 'em smile
It ain't so hard to do if you know how"
Listen to the Music, Tom Johnston, Doobie Brothers