Author Topic: Bedroom tube amps - Bugera and Laney  (Read 708 times)

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
Re: Bedroom tube amps - Bugera and Laney
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 07:04:59 pm »
If you follow other people's advice without making sure you like what you end up with you are bound to be disappointed.

Not really. Most people get a recommended list, then go listen to it and buy it anyway. Which is exactly what he did with the amp. Very few people buy outside the typical forum goto list.

How many people do you know with a Supro? It's generally only very experienced people that will buy -anything- regardless of the name.

It's not wrong to do so. To buy what is recommended and it's usually pretty accurate for any given price point. I have done it countless times and been very happy most every time.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 08:23:06 pm »
I had a Supro 1x12 combo similar to the one Jimmy Page had but mine wasn't modded, it was a fabulous amp but way too loud for what I needed at the time, I got a proper Fender Champ instead.
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline MrBumble

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 09:36:59 pm »
Not really. Most people get a recommended list, then go listen to it and buy it anyway. Which is exactly what he did with the amp.

I thought that was what I was saying. Take note of the recommendations but listen to make sure your ears agree with those of the person who recommended.

In a past period of life I owned a Hi-Fi business. As well as demonstrating in the shops we also tried to persuade people to have the equipment at home once they had narrowed down their shortlist. The thing I really did not want was a dissatisfied customer.

Guitar amps, just like Hi-Fi are subjective and what is ideal depends to an extent on how you are going to use it.

Offline TB-AV

• Honorable Ex-Mod
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 324
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 11:10:17 pm »
I guess the "bound to be disappointed" part threw me. Some of these people don't have the means to try before buy.

In fact in the case of speakers it is a nightmare to audition speakers. You aren't going to find Tonetubby, Weber, etc, in a single bedroom sized cabinet if at all. But.. by most accounts they sound great.

So if all you get to audition is the run of the mill stuff, you miss out on a major factor that changes the amp from ordinary to three dimensional.
TB-  SOUNDCLOUD
HexaramaQuadraFunk© -- HeXMoD©

Offline MrBumble

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 08:31:17 am »

In fact in the case of speakers it is a nightmare to audition speakers. You aren't going to find Tonetubby, Weber, etc, in a single bedroom sized cabinet if at all. But.. by most accounts they sound great.

So if all you get to audition is the run of the mill stuff, you miss out on a major factor that changes the amp from ordinary to three dimensional.

That is very true. Speakers are always the hardest thing to get right.

There is much black magic associated with speaker (driver) and cabinet design as well as some complex physics. And then you move house and just can't find the right position for the speakers that sounded so good in your old room. There will always be an element of compromise.

I think that the achieving a speaker that sounds good practicing at low volume in a small room and also  gigging at high sound levels is probably impossible. Hence the separate head with a small cabinet for practice and something different for performance is the way to go.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 08:56:24 am »
Hence the separate head with a small cabinet for practice and something different for performance is the way to go.

The Boss Katana head would be perfect for this. It has two built-in speakers, so no need for a cabinet at home.
At gigs/rehearsals you just hook it up to a cabinet and you are instantly moving some air.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline chaos75

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 08:49:29 pm »
Thanks for the input folks. I managed to get a used Blackstar HTV112 pretty cheap. Admittedly, I'm not blown away with the stock Celestion seventy 80, but for the price I got the cab for, I'm not complaining. I will upgrade the speaker no doubt. Started watching Youtube demos of various speakers and the Eminence Cannabis Rex has caught my attention. I have to watch some more demos of the Alnico speakers. Granted there a whole lot of variables in these demos, but it's the only practical way to get a flavour of the tones.

A couple of other questions - is it normal to have some hiss from the speaker while the amp is on? And also a pop sound when you turn off the amp?

Offline MrBumble

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 09:34:16 pm »
A couple of other questions - is it normal to have some hiss from the speaker while the amp is on? And also a pop sound when you turn off the amp?

Yes to both with most amps.

Neither the hiss or the pop is a problem. It makes sense to turn the gain controls down before turning off, especially with high power amplifiers.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 09:46:57 pm »
I get hiss as well especially when in a gainy setting. In clean there is nothing unless I’m very loud as my clean always has a little gain going.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Get The Forum As A Mobile App