Author Topic: Solid top??  (Read 669 times)

Offline Glen

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Solid top??
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 03:42:20 am »
Thanks so much guys for your time and comments.
What I have learned,
Two pieces of wood still counts has solid top, three or more pieces not really. Laminated tops might be good or might not, laminated can mean plywood but not always. Craftmanship is what counts but a mass produced guitar can sound great and a hand crafted guitar can be a dog.
Buyer beware, try before you buy.
It's a jungle out there, who would have thought?

Thanks again
Love from New Zealand.

Sent from my SM-T330 using newbielink:http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93296 [nonactive]

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 03:54:19 am »
Two pieces of wood bookmatched (glued together side by side) not one on top of the other.

Online CT

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 02:13:58 pm »
The EJ-200 series provides great value and as near as I can tell all of the models have a solid spruce top. Sometimes specs on a guitar are like specs on a car, not much use if the overall package doesn't fit or suit your purpose. For me the EJ-200SCE checked all the boxes, spec-wise, except that it lacked a bone nut and saddle. That single omission gave me pause and kept me looking, but I kept coming back to the EJ-200SCE because of the value, sound, electronics, playability, and overall looks and jumbo "feel". Note that it might not be a good guitar to start out with, as a jumbo, it's got some girth and heft and is strung with 12's, which it needs in order to be at its best. 

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 08:10:50 pm »
It's not too expensive to have a bone nut and saddle retro fitted, but go try one out and have a really good play with it before pressing the button!!!
On paper I thought it was pretty much amazing, but when I got to play one it was way too big for me to be comfortable with it!
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Online CT

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 02:50:11 am »
I agree completely with DarrellW on all counts. My thinking was that not including a bone nut and saddle was cutting such an obvious and small corner, and was kind of like pushing the Masterbuilt series on me. I'm 6'3" and 250lb, so a jumbo suits me fine, and I don't recall finding a jumbo in the Masterbuilt line. Would've loved to have tried a Gretsch Rancher, but they were nowhere to be found here in So Cal, and lacked the electronics of the EJ-200SCE anyway.   

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:38 am »
It may be a bone saddle doesn't work well on this guitar.

Fitting a bone saddle is likely to change the characteristic of the sound, but that might not be in a good way. I've heard of people changing out their bone saddles for tusq or micarta because they prefer the tone.

Although a lot of people swear by bone and there's a whole mythology and tradition around it, ultimately it's just a material that transmits sound from the strings to the body of the guitar.

Being a "natural" material doesn't automatically mean it's better. In fact being natural means there will be a lot more variability between parts, and a lot less control over the tone.

Bone is also, generally,not a particularly expensive material, and normally doesn't cost any more than good quality composite parts.

The only way to know if a bone saddle is better for you and this particular guitar is to try it out, but it's not automatic that you will improve the sound.

Note that changing the nut will have relatively little impact compared to changing the saddle.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Online CT

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 03:27:33 pm »
Good points, Majik! Bone nut/saddle and Power Pin upgrades are pretty common for this guitar. Reports range from "Meh" to "I can't tell it from a Gibby J-200!". I found an excellent guitar tech here locally, so I can bounce these kind of ideas off of him. There's something to be said about taking your gear to a pro and getting the most out of your rig.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App