Author Topic: Crossover / Hybrid Nylon String Guitars  (Read 2470 times)

Offline Stormya

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Crossover / Hybrid Nylon String Guitars
« on: October 19, 2017, 04:30:36 pm »
Does anyone have any views on these and which have good reviews. I like the sound of nylon strings and I like the sound of fingerpicking style playing. I don't think I want to go full classical style so the hybrids look as if they might be a good option. Would a warm toned steel string provide a similar sound?
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Artist Folk

Offline Matt125

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 20
Re: Crossover / Hybrid Nylon String Guitars
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 03:57:12 am »
A purpose built guitar would be best. You could try placing a nylon set on your acoustic. I've never tried it.

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/2997/can-i-use-nylon-with-steel-string-guitar
"Can't speak for every combination, but found success with the following nylon string installation on a steel-string acoustic guitar. Love the sound, worth the time.
    Taylor 814ce
    Ernie Ball Earthwood Acoustic Guitar Strings (Nylon Classic Ball-End)(28, 32, 40, 30, 36, 42)
    There are other string brand options such as D'Addario EJ34's, Martin M160's, etc.
    The ball ends solve the bridge problem of securing the strings with the pins. They held without incident.
    The nut grooves were a non-issue, the strings settled into the grooves deep enough to avoid any serious action issues.
    Tying around the posts requires a little more attention than steel strings, but not much. It requires holding tension on the strings on the post until you have enough wraps to provide some tension to hold it in place.
    The main challenge is patiently tuning, bringing the strings up slowly to pitch. The nylons stretch forever and you may need to retune upwards of ten times over several days before the strings settle in and stay close to the desired tuning. Even then, some fine tuning just prior to playing always seems necessary.
    Tuning to something below Standard E tuning is easier on this setup.
    1 7/8" neck width works well with these strings, no need for a 2" plus neck.
    No truss rod adjustments have been needed, action is good, and this is a permanent stringing choice for this guitar.
    For those who question why you would want to string nylons on a steel-string I'll offer three reasons. One, nylons sound good and provide a variation to steel strings that is appealing to the ear on many fingerstyle songs. Two, I'm used to playing steel string guitars and have no interest in learning how to play a classical guitar with a wider neck, different action, etc. Third, I have several steel string guitars and have no desire to add an additional guitar when I can repurpose one of my existing acoustic guitars."

And
"For the reasons stated in all the answers posted so far, trying to put nylon strings on a guitar designed for steel strings is not really a viable thing to do. However, if it's playing comfort you seek, a set of Silk and Steel strings - such as the Martin M130 or M1400, is the next best thing to nylon strings as far as comfort."

Offline Stormya

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 07:25:03 am »
Hi Matt thanks for that - I've read the thread you sent and various others. I'm not keen on putting nylon strings on a steel string acoustic for the many reasons in that thread and the others I've read.

I was wondering if anyone had experience of the hybrid / crossover guitars eg the Córdoba C10 Crossover. I guess probably not.
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Artist Folk

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:53:18 am »
Might be worth reading through this:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/blog/?p=1419
There are quite a few nice ones about now but the only ones I've tried are Godin and Crafter, both are really nice to play, much easier than a classical.
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Stormya

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 01:21:21 pm »
Thanks Darrell, I've read that article it's very informative, and thanks very much for the feedback re the Godin and Crafter (both of which I've now read up about). It's very useful to know you found them easy to play compared to a classical guitar. I'll try a few out at some point. I'm part way through the intermediate course and hope to finish it towards the end of next year. So far I've done everything on acoustic which I love the sound of but I also love the different warmer sound of the nylon strings. I'm not keen to go the whole hog and get a classical guitar as there just seems to me too much that is different in terms of feel / physicality and technique so the hybrids seem a really good option. I'll finish the Intermediate course first and in the meantime I'll enjoy deciding what to get 😀 - nothing like long term planning 😀. Andrew.
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Artist Folk

Get The Forum As A Mobile App