Author Topic: Memorizing song's.  (Read 1048 times)

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Memorizing song's.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 02:32:05 pm »
I'm nowhere near capable of singing and playing at the same time (only just started stage 4) but memorizing the chord sequences of the songs is something I try to do even without my guitar in my hand. I'll be walking to work or doing something else and repeating the chords and changes to myself (ie Am one bar, Dm 1/2 bar, Em 1/2 bar). Then when I play I know where I'm going with my chord changes and when. I'm sure someone has thought I'm losing my mind if they heard me.
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 03:40:00 pm »

I have spent a lot of time reading and learning about learning, and was astonished to find that the general consensus amongst those who study these things is that to truly 'own' a song (know it inside out, at any time, even after a break from it) it typically takes 10,000 repetitions!

Hi
Welcome to the forum.

I think you're slightly misunderstanding what has become known as the 10,000 Hour Rule ... which is a theory suggesting it takes 10,000 hours to achieve mastery of a skill.

This is a disputed theory in itself.

But in no way does it suggest 10,000 hours to master a single song.
No one lives long enough for that.
If true, it would be 10,000 hours to achieve mastery as a 'guitar player'.

Offline stitch101

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 134
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 04:37:56 pm »
I agree with Close the 10,000 hour/repetitions is to master a skill.
Personally I can learn easy songs is less than 5 minutes and play songs I've never
played before when following someone else.

As for learning songs, learn the works and melody. Sing/hum/speak the word as you play.
study song structure. Most songs follow a very simple pattern.

Offline Rolandson

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 02:44:33 pm »
You are not the only one with that problem. I also need the lyrics and the chords. I can't remember what chord is next. I also have a problem with the lyrics. Don't remember every word in it. Doesn't matter how often I play it.
Ibanez AW300ECE-NT
Started  IM February 22, 2016
Finished BC January 25, 2016
https://soundcloud.com/user-601635174

Offline caprica

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 12:36:48 am »
I find if I break a song up and learn each part by covering the tab for it and checking it after I play it works for me.

Then i play the full song and record myself. It is pretty easy to hear the parts which need more work.

Once you learn a few songs you will learn to recognize common chord progressions that appear in other songs and that makes them easier to learn.

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 11:57:19 am »
I've had this problem on and off since I started playing songs properly. I would spend a long time learning and recording a song (to the point I knew it backwards) and then having got a nice recording move on to the next, promptly forgetting within a short space of time what I'd learnt. It's only recently that I've started to focus on building that core list of songs and ensuring that whilst I continue to learn new ones I allocate some time every week to go through a few on that list. I now keep track of how many times I play song in a week so that I can ensure I allocate time to those which I haven't touched for a while. Since I did this about a couple of months ago I've got about 14 songs which I can play from memory (chords and lyrics) although even then I have noticed that I occasionally have to refer to my book for a missing word or chord.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Offline Blue Merseysider.

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
  • "YER MA'!"
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 03:17:33 pm »
Some good stuff there. Cheers folks. 👍

Sent from my SM-A520F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Takamine EF300W LTD Edition Acoustic.
Epiphone EJ200 CE/VS Acoustic.
1989 Epiphone SQ180 Don Everly Acoustic.
1980 Kiso Suzuki 12 String Acoustic.
"Yep, I like me acoustic guitars."

Get The Forum As A Mobile App