Author Topic: Narrow Daylight (Diana Krall cover) – piano, with guitar solo  (Read 632 times)

Online embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 34
Narrow Daylight (Diana Krall cover) – piano, with guitar solo
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:07:51 pm »
Here’s an obscure song, Narrow Daylight, by Diana Krall, a Canadian jazz / pop pianist. It’s a song she wrote with her husband, Elvis Costello, and something about it just moves me. I’m the pianist and the guitarist here, and I also stuck in some drum tracks and bass from Garage Band on my iPhone. (I really do need to learn how to record.) I convinced my partner to sing the song for me, and since she doesn’t really know the song she’s not entirely happy with the vocal. However, she says since she doesn’t know any of you it’s okay to share!

It’s really a piano song, not very difficult so right at my level, and it has a lovely little guitar solo. It’s my first real transcribing effort, and so I’m disproportionately pleased with the result (compared to how it sounds lol) – took me about 2 ½ hours over several sessions to transcribe 30 seconds of music!! I did try to add another guitar track but I didn't like the result, so I left it as is. It’s a 3 minute 20 second song, and the guitar solo is ~ 30 seconds, 1:36 – 2:04.

Any feedback is appreciated. I know the piano rushes the beat in several places, but I haven’t played much lately and I didn’t have the energy for another take …

https://soundcloud.com/user-515453056/90-bpm-narrow-daylight-merged-track
Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5, Ovation Balladeer
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano, Boss VE-2 Vocal Harmonist

Offline MrBumble

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: Narrow Daylight (Diana Krall cover) – piano, with guitar solo
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:10:18 am »
Very nice indeed. I like the guitar solo and for someone who claims not to know how to record you make a pretty good job of it. It is well balanced and sounds good.

As to the vocals, they are very good too. Easy to listen to and your partner has nothing to be ashamed of.

I like this a lot.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:54:34 am »
Really enjoyed this, you do really make a good job of it - don't knock yourselves back so much - I would definitely come to see you live :)
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Online embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 02:21:25 pm »
Very nice indeed. I like the guitar solo and for someone who claims not to know how to record you make a pretty good job of it. It is well balanced and sounds good.

Really enjoyed this, you do really make a good job of it - don't knock yourselves back so much - I would definitely come to see you live :)

Thanks Mr Bumble and Darrell. I don't know about recording in general, although I can usually keep time ok, sometimes I get some funny noises / distortion out of my guitar that are totally unintentional. I leave tone - presence - compressor - room at whatever comes up as the default, hit record on my iPhone, and hope for the best! I hope to have 3 weeks off over Christmas and my plan is to take some time to set up a DAW and figure it out a bit. I do need to stop making excuses for everything, though. We are all always learning. And as I said I am really really happy with the accomplishment of having transcribed the guitar solo 😃

Thanks guys

Mari

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:33:08 pm »
Mari,

That was great to listen to, every aspect. So you are good on piano and guitar, wonderful. And your partner's singing sounded good to me.  Congrats on the solo!

Thanks for sharing that.

Online embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 02:05:50 am »
That was great to listen to, every aspect. So you are good on piano and guitar, wonderful. And your partner's singing sounded good to me.  Congrats on the solo!

Thanks lots, David, I really appreciate your feedback.  I bet in a few months, I hope so anyway!, I'll laugh at how happy I am about transcribing that guitar solo. Right now I'm just happy about it though! The humming bit in This Old Guitar was easy to figure out. This solo - not so much!!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 06:28:31 am »
Mari,

I think you should be out of your skin happy at transcribing this solo.  And I think you should remember that moment with pride, delight and satisfaction for months and months ... until you achieve a new personal best accomplishment.  Testament to how you can learn and grow as a musician.

Yesterday I met another person who plays guitar at work ... has played for years and sounds quite advanced.  I happened to mention that I was working on adding the strumming of a bass note into my strumming. EASY she said.  HMMMMMM.   After some reflection I concluded that it was more useful for me to consider it to be a simple, quite basic technique rather than something that is easy.  Right now I find it quite difficult...to stay on the metronome's beat, especially when the bass note is on the 5th or 4th string.  Next week, next month, eventually I will be "disproportionately happy" that I can play Walk the Line with the boom chikka rhythm.

So I am delighted for you and celebrate your achievement to transcribe and play that solo.  It is a wonderful moment to cherish.  And it inspires me to think about things that I can't yet do and with perseverance, learning and practise will one day be able to do.

A bit of a "wall of text" reply, but this matter of acquiring mastery is one that is a big part of my life ... at home, at work and with my guitar ... so couldn't help myself, from making much more from a your reply than expected  ;)

Online embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:30:29 pm »
You're awesome, David, you really are! Thanks so much for commenting again. And yup, still happy! Lol 😃

Mari

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:57:21 pm »
You're awesome, David, you really are! Thanks so much for commenting again. And yup, still happy! Lol 😃

Mari

:) Thank you

Offline Mike Sebastian P

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 08:53:37 pm »
Mari, you made a very beautiful song together! I really liked both the vocals and the instrumental part, the piano and the guitar !! Guitar solo is great, just what you need here!

Mike.

Online embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 04:13:05 am »
Mari, you made a very beautiful song together! I really liked both the vocals and the instrumental part, the piano and the guitar !! Guitar solo is great, just what you need here!

Mike.

Thanks Mike! 😃

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 12:53:06 pm »
Oh my, what's not to like.
That was terrific.
And a simple acoustic solo transcribed is a wonderful feeling.
Well done on that.
I remember one of my first - possibly my first ever transcribed solo. Many, many years ago. And I could probably still play 90% of it to this day from memory just because of the milestone it was and the work it took. I hope your solo stands up for you in years to come too.
:)

ps

mine was this:
solo at 2 mins 40

Online redrhodie

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 41
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 12:57:38 pm »
Great job, Mari. I especially liked the guitar solo. Your partner has a lovely voice. I hope you'll make more songs together. It sounds very good.

Lynn

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk

Online embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 09:00:31 pm »
Oh my, what's not to like.
That was terrific.
And a simple acoustic solo transcribed is a wonderful feeling.
Well done on that

Thanks for listening and commenting, Close. That's totally how I feel about this solo, 'a simple acoustic solo transcribed is a wonderful thing'. And I do expect to reduce the transcribing time for the next ones!!

That's a lovely little solo on Almost With You - another song I don't know, to be added to my to-learn pile.

Thanks,

Mari

Online embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 34
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 09:04:07 pm »
Great job, Mari. I especially liked the guitar solo. Your partner has a lovely voice. I hope you'll make more songs together. It sounds very good.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn. I hope to convince her to sing a few more for posting too! 😃

Mari

Get The Forum As A Mobile App