Author Topic: Playing Along to Original Recording  (Read 678 times)

Offline wireman_1967

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Playing Along to Original Recording
« on: October 08, 2017, 07:21:17 pm »
Hello,

I have been trying to play along to the original recordings, as Justin suggests in many of his song lessons. However, my guitar sounds out of tune with the record and just does not "fit in" if you understand what I mean. I have checked my guitars tuning, checked the recording is in the same tuning but it still sounds bad (could be my terrible playing). Has anyone else experienced this? What am I doing wrong?

Offline embishop

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 35
Re: Playing Along to Original Recording
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:30:02 am »
Are you using a guitar tuner so you're confident that you're tuned to concert pitch? If yes, then are you sure you're playing in the same key as the original? Could the original be using a capo? Maybe if you give an example of one or two songs you're playing that don't sound in tune with the original record we can confirm the key for you and you can make sure that's what you're playing. You could also just try broad strums yourself with the original, without trying to match the strumming pattern, and see if it sounds like the same key or not.
Mari
Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5, Ovation Balladeer
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano, Boss VE-2 Vocal Harmonist

Offline Johan217

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:03:58 am »
Assuming you are playing the song in the right key, many recordings are off-pitch. It could be that the band originally tuned a half step up or down, or that the recording was sped up or slowed down in the studio, and then there are variations due to the playback medium (turntable vs cd).
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 12:30:24 pm »
Many recordings are either sped up or slowed down just a tiny bit to invoke a certain feel or to simply correct mistakes in tempo.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Johan217

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 01:40:06 pm »
This is why tuning by ear is a valuable skill. If you know the key of the song, you tune your guitar to match.

There is software that allows you to change the pitch of a recording independent of the speed. One example is Riffstation.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline deadeye_ag

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 10
    • Texas Music Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 04:35:38 pm »
In addition to all mentioned above, the song could be using an alternative tuning, like drop D (the low E string is is tuned down to D instead) or the whole thing could be dropped down half a step or more. For example "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" was recorded a half step down from standard tuning (E->D#, A->G#, etc.).

What is the son you are trying to play along to?

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 339
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:22:07 pm »

What is the song you are trying to play along to?

This is the question

Offline wireman_1967

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 01:56:56 pm »
OK, thank you all for your replies. The point about the speed of recordings being slightly altered sounds like it could be a possibility. A couple of songs I have tried playing along to are, Creep - Radiohead, Live Forever - Oasis. Both of these are in standard tuning as far as I am aware.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App