Author Topic: Boss Katana firmware upgrade  (Read 454 times)

Online Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
Boss Katana firmware upgrade
« on: October 03, 2017, 01:59:16 pm »
New stuff for the already awesome Katana.

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-100/updates_drivers/b9da3bd3-ab7b-451a-9310-7c6fdb6d4b24/

Copied from thegearpage.net:
a new and extra/separate "Delay2" including the retro Boss SDE-3000 delay unit.
EVH Flanger and Phaser 90 added to MOD and FX
Send/Return loop with adjustable levels per channel.
Katana 100 now has 8 channels, Katana 50 has 4 channels.
A new separate Equaliser unit.
A new Global EQ
Output Select options called "Air Feel" (live/recording options)
Extensive midi program change and midi CC# control options and GAFC pedal assign options.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/boss-katana-amplifiers.1744135/page-543

I'm upgrading next weekend ;D
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
Re: Boss Katana firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 06:06:25 pm »
Ohh, nice. I'm upgrading now!

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Online Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 09:28:05 pm »
Let me know how you like it.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 06:17:07 pm »
I primarily use the amp just from the control panel, so the only significant feature there is the additional channels.

This isn't immediately useful to me, but will be useful over time so I'm glad to have it. If it's something I use a long longer term, I may add a footswitch to my pedal setup to make the switching faster and easier. I need to work out how I'm going to use the additional channels first.

I didn't see it announced as a feature, but I now see that I can put the FX loop before or after the reverb as well as before or after the FX. This is a nice feature (even if it's not a new one).

The "FLNGR 117E" and "PHASER 90E" sound great to my ears. How close they are to the original MXR EVH pedals I have no idea, but a lot of fun to use. I have to admit I'm not really a great user of flanger or phaser FX though, so how much I'll use them beyond the initial novelty it yet to be seen.

However, it's great to have them in the toolkit in case I want to revisit "Aint Talkin' Bout Love" sometime.

The SDE-3000 delay looks good and, so far, I'm very pleased with this one. I wanted a modulating delay for something recently, and the original delays just didn't seem to do what I wanted. The SDE-3000 seems to have a bit more capability.

A lot of the other stuff, I've not really used and may not use. I don't really use Line Out, USB or headphones on my Katana so I probably won't use the Line Out "Air feel" setting much, if at all.

The Cabinet Resonance is interesting. I have to say I've not experienced much of a difference between the settings so far, but will have a bit more of a play.

I'm not sure I have a use for the Global EQ at this point. I love the idea of MIDI control too, but don't use it.

The additional delay section is something I will use. I've not really got to grips with it yet, particularly how it works with the existing controls. A grumble is that the Tone Studio software is slightly more complex and less obvious, but it's a minor grumble as I don't really use it much anyway.

All in all, this is a nice update, possibly a great one. A lot of the stuff in it is not stuff I need or will use, but everyone has different requirements. It's also not been detrimental to the amp in any way and has fixed a few minor bugs.

All in all, a thumbs up!

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:45:17 pm by Majik »
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 12:24:07 am »
The additional delay section is something I will use. I've not really got to grips with it yet, particularly how it works with the existing controls. A grumble is that the Tone Studio software is slightly more complex and less obvious, but it's a minor grumble as I don't really use it much anyway.

I spent some time with the manual and playing and think I understand it now.

The additional delay stage is associated with the reverb stage and the level of it is controlled with the reverb control on the amp control panel. However, the delay switch controls the selection of the delay model to use for both the original Delay setting, and for Delay2.

For those not familiar with the Katana amps, you have 5 FX settings in each tone/patch/channel:
Booster
Mod
Delay
FX
Reverb

For each of these you can store 3 separate pedal models: a "red" one, a "green" one and a "yellow" one. These can then be selected by pressing the associated physical button on the Katana control panel which rotates between the red/green/yellow models, and the level can be adjusted by using the associated physical knob.

Note that Booster and Mod are grouped together with a single button/knob to control them, as are Delay/FX.

The new software changes the above so that there are 6 FX settings:
Booster
Mod
Delay
FX
Delay2
Reverb

Whereas the Reverb button/knob only controlled Reverb before, it now controls both Delay2 and Reverb.

In some ways it's similar to how Booster/Mod and Delay/FX are grouped together. However, it's also different. With Booster/Mod and Delay/FX only one pedal is selected depending on the position of the setting knob. So you can have either booster or mod but not both at the same time. The same applies to Delay/FX: you can have either delay, or FX, but not both.

With the new Delay2 stage, you choose as part of the tone/patch/channel setting whether you want just delay2, just reverb, or both. And then the Reverb level knob controls both. The reverb red/green/yellow selection also controls which delay2 model is used as well as which reverb model.

So, for each of the red, green, and yellow options, you can independently select:
Whether the applied effect is delay, reverb, or both
The delay model
The reverb model

And, of course, you can then adjust the parameters of each pedal model.

There's also a separate tap tempo for delay2 which is also available from the physical control panel. So you could have delay1 at 120ms and delay 2 at 70ms (for instance).

So, whilst it's initially a bit more complex and takes more setting up, it also adds a lot of flexibility, especially for complex 2-stage delay effects, or where you want to use a couple non-delay FX (for instance, a compressor and a harmonist) in conjunction with a Delay.

Hopefully this makes sense. I've included a screen shot of the Tone Editor software which shows the controls which may make sense with the description above.

Cheers,

Keith

Online Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 08:40:43 am »
Keith, you made a great walkthrough of the new features. If anyone not already using the Katana will understand it, I have no idea. But I certainly do ;D

As for the new features I am mostly interested in the line out changes. Apaarently there have been some modifications to the cabinet simulations and as I use the line out in live situations it gets interesting to me.

The possibility of combining delay with reverb is also a good idea. However, I would like to be able to use the delay and reverb channels to other fx than that.

Flanger and phaser.... yummi! I can use that right away, and with the additional presets I can now access gives me more features right at hand.... well at foot. I'll try how it works out using them via the GA-FC, but I am considering getting a seperate footswitch to toggle with.
/Jesper

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:29:54 pm »

Flanger and phaser.... yummi! I can use that right away

I have to say they are pretty tasty.

I'll try how it works out using them via the GA-FC, but I am considering getting a seperate footswitch to toggle with.

It's pretty easy to switch banks. Just hold down the "Panel" switch for a second. There are some caveats: you have to be in channel mode (not effects) and one of CH1-4 has to be selected.

A footswitch would make it a bit faster and would work when the GA-FC was in effects mode. It might make sense for gigging, if you need to switch between banks quickly, but for home practice, I think it's overkill.

Cheers,

Keith

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 11:02:32 pm »
A footswitch would make it a bit faster and would work when the GA-FC was in effects mode. It might make sense for gigging, if you need to switch between banks quickly, but for home practice, I think it's overkill.

I hear you. But I need to be in gigging mode in all my considerations as I am in a gigging band.
Until this point I’ve been doing pretty good with the standard setup, and quite frankly I do not use many effects. I like to keep things nice, clean and simple, but I also like to have possibilities right at hand.
I expect to roll forward as is, but as we are expanding our repertoire I can foresee a need for more effects.
/Jesper

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 02:52:58 pm »
For my own use, I've decided on the following strategy:

I've configured the primary bank with a bunch of settings which I consider to be generically useful, and organised so I can remember them. CH1 is Clean, CH2 is Crunch, CH3 is Lead, and CH4 is Brown. For each of these I have configured a set of fx which are complementary. So, for example, on my clean tone I have the option of an acoustic emulator, a clean boost, and a chorus (amongst others). On the crunch I have a pedal wah, blues driver, Tube screamer, etc.

For all of the above I have delay and reverb. I've not used delay 2 on any of them as, TBH, I tend to not use effects that heavily most of the time. As I don't need to use the delay1 slot for more esoteric effects, I can leave it for standard delay use.

The new secondary bank I  will use for experimentation and for specific uses. For instance, if I'm learning a song and it requires some specific effects, then I can create a "tone" for that and load it into one of the channels. So if I'm learning a song that really needs two delays, this is where I'll do that.

The intent is that bank A channels 1-4 stay pretty constant and provide a base set of tones I can always use and rely on, whilst bank B channels 1-4 can change over time depending on what I'm doing.

Cheers,

Keith

Online Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 03:55:06 pm »
Sounds like a good plan, Keith.

My setup is something like this:
Ch1: Clean(ish)
Bluesdriver, tremolo, reverb
Ch2: Crunch
bluesdriver, delay, reverb
Ch3: Crunch with more gain
Bluesdriver, delay, reverb
Ch4: Acoustic
EQ, Compressor, reverb

As you can see I’m pretty subtle on the fx’s.
I do consider using one of the new slots for testing an acoustic simulator.
/Jesper

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 04:23:39 pm »
I do consider using one of the new slots for testing an acoustic simulator.

Remember you have 3 slots per stage in the FX chain. Of course, I'm talking about the Green/Red/Yellow slots.

These aren't selectable by GA-FC, of course, but they can be selected from the top panel and are good for placing less commonly used effects if you want to try them.

Cheers,

Keith

Online Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 08:23:11 pm »
Remember you have 3 slots per stage in the FX chain. Of course, I'm talking about the Green/Red/Yellow slots.

True, but for me to actually use them in a rehearsal situation they need to be selectable via the GA-FC. I know myself well enough to either forget about it or simply not bother while in the situation
/Jesper

Offline Styrr

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 05:35:02 pm »
Damn!

Have only had the katana for a few weeks and already an upgrade.
Was going to leave it, but I like the idea of having 2 delays for some U2 type noise.
I got the amp because I wanted simplicity. Had enough fiddling around with the Line 6 POD HD500X for weeks.
I didn't really want/need the 4 channels on the 100 combo, but did want the FX loop (for my looper).
Now I get 2x 4 channels and because they are there, I will no doubt fill them - another week or so of fiddling and not practicing.  ::)

Styrr
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I cannot accept not trying.”
Michael Jordan

Get The Forum As A Mobile App