Author Topic: Modewheel - online resource to highlight notes for any mode  (Read 344 times)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 373
  • Teesside, North East England.
Modewheel - online resource to highlight notes for any mode
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:47:18 am »
I came across this elsewhere .... worth a quick look if you're working on modes.

http://modewheel.co.uk/index.html

Blurb:
Modewheel is a reference tool for quickly finding the notes of any mode in any key. Rotate the wheel so the mode you want lines up with the starting note you want, and all the visible notes are the notes of that mode.
For example, if you want to know the notes of E Dorian, rotate the wheel 60 degrees, so Dorian is lined up with E, and there you have it. The only visible notes will be those of E Dorian.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
  • What on earth was I going to do???
Re: Modewheel - online resource to highlight notes for any mode
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:54:16 am »
Nice!!!
Bookmarked, I’m having a bit of a fiddle around Phrygian for fun so this is useful ;)
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 01:52:37 pm »
Interesting.

I've been drawing something similar out on my whiteboard.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline m_c

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 33
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 08:35:54 pm »
I've got to admit, I've never really paid much attention to modes, as they make my head hurt with all the names let alone what notes make them up, but a Rob Chapman* video happened to pop up on my suggested list at the weekend, and they are amazingly simple to apply to a guitar.

Pick your key/root note, then just move the scale pattern up/down the fretboard until you get to the mode you want. The only thing you have to remember are the order of the modes and how many frets you have to move the root note to get the mode.
Once you learn that, combine it with knowing your note positions, and you can work out the notes in any key/mode.

Here's the video if you have 20 minutes to spare - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2zAAT1sWgA

*I'm well aware Rob is a love/hate character, but his theory/technique videos are usually pretty good.

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 09:59:18 pm »
That's, basically, the idea of the wheel. Pick a key (in my case A) and write out the notes on the wheel, starting at the Major (Ionian, or "ION" in my whiteboard pic) following the standard pattern for major scales (TTSTTTS), and you get the corresponding mode.

For example (and on my specific whiteboard example) the key of A major, the notes are:

A B C# D E F# G#

So, for instance, on my diagram I have indicate "MIX" and "AEO" for Mixolydian and Aeolian respectively. I've not written in any of the other modes currently.

"MIX" is against the note E, so E Mixolydian is the relative to A major
"AEO" is against note F#, so F# Aeoliean (aka "natural minor") is the relative to A major

It's basically counting up the notes in the scale exactly as RC teaches, because that's how modes work.

The modewheel basically does the same thing.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 84
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 10:16:12 pm »
By the way, the other way to look at modes is by their relation to the chords in the key that are derived from them.

Ionian - Major triad chord - I chord
Dorian - Minor triad - ii chord
Phrygian - Minor triad - iii chord
Lydian - Major triad - IV chord
Mixolydian - Major triad - V chord
Aeolian - Minor triad - vi chord
Locrian - Diminished triad - vii chord

On my whiteboard chord wheel, you may note I have written the nature of the triad formed from each of the modes. These also follow around the wheel.

So, the chords in A major are:
I - A major
ii- B minor
iii - C# minor
IV - D major
V - E major
vi - F# minor
vii - G# diminished

The chords in E mixolydian are:
I - E major
ii - F# minor
iii - G# diminished
IV - A major
v - B minor
vi - C# minor
VII - D major

In other words, the same chords as A major, but starting at a different point. The same applies for all the relative modes.

Cheers,

Keith

P.S. This may lead to the question "If A major and E mixolydian use the same notes and the same chords, why do they sound different" and that boils down to where the tonal centre of the piece is. This can sometimes be vague, but it's heavily influenced by things like which notes you use in the melody.

Cheers,

Keith
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:05:21 am by Majik »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App