Author Topic: Question - Looper pedal with amp without effects loop  (Read 14839 times)

Offline Nilo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
Question - Looper pedal with amp without effects loop
« on: September 20, 2017, 03:20:15 pm »
Good afternoon

I have a Marshall Code 25 practice amplifier which does not have an effects loop.

It has just dawned on me that as the amp is modelling all the effects, that if you record a loop on a loop pedal, changed the amp settings for a different effect and overdubbed another loop, all loops played back would be affected by the single (current) amp setting... D'OH!

I am trying to work out if there is a workaround to this and would appreciate anyone's input.

I think that the options are:
1) Do nothing and don't use a looper for now
2) Use a looper pedal but add pedals for effects instead of the modelled amp effects (running the amp on pure clean tone without any effects).
3) Use a DAW to record my loops for practicing and stick with amp modelling for now.
4) Eventually get an amp with an effects loop. And some pedals!

Can anyone think of other options which I might not have considered?

Thank you.
Nilo

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
Re: Question - Looper pedal with amp without effects loop
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 04:20:24 pm »
These all sound about right.

I've heard of people hacking this using the headphone out and aux-in on some amps, but this doesn't really work very well.

My suggestion, as a cheap and quick option, would be to look at something like a Zoom/Digitech/Boss multifx unit which has effects and run the amp on clean. Some of these have loopers built in, so you may be able to trade your current looper in for one.

By the way, if you do look at a new amp in the future, you can still go with a modelling amp as long as it has an FX loop. I'm using a Boss Katana 100 and the only external pedals I use are an RC-3 looper and a tuner.

All the actual FX are in the Katana and controlled with the foot-controller.

All of that works well with the looper.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90
Amps: Bugera G5 Head, Boss Katana 100
All sorts of other stuff.

Offline Nilo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 06:26:59 pm »
Thanks Majik! That makes sense!

I do have foot switch for the Marshall which is pretty cool for changing between presets but I am stuck with the same problem until I have an FX Loop!

Oh well!

Appreciate your input. Much appreciated! :D

Offline Nilo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 02:28:07 pm »
So, having given it some thought, I've decided I'm going to stick with what I have and focus on practise and getting good. For looping I will use GarageBand to record some loops to play over and with time, if/when a dedicated looper becomes necessary and would get well used, I will purchase one along with a multi FX pedal.

Christmas and birthdays coming up soon too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:57:18 am by close2u »

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 03:12:50 pm »
Sounds like a plan.

And this thread will no-doubt, be informative to others who are considering getting a looper.

Cheers,

Keith
Guitars: PRS Singlecut S2, Fender Tele Lite Ash, G&L Legacy Tribute, Freshman Apollo 2 OCBX, Gibson SG Special P90

Offline CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 69
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 06:27:48 am »
A looper pedal is an extremely useful tool, even with a modeling amp. Layering guitar sounds on the fly is incredibly good practice. Lay down your layers in the looper with a clean amp and then playback your loop and practice your leads (or whatever) through the amp with whatever amount of dirt you like. Yeah, your layers in the looper will get dirty too during playback. Adjust the looper volume level as needed. Once you've nailed down your layers, copy off the loop to GarageBand or other DAW for playback any time you want. Lather, rinse, repeat, practice & improve.

I have the Ditto mini and really enjoy its simplicity. Learning to use a looper is a good skill to have and develop. When you build your layers you can use power cords to set the tempo, add another layer for open or alternate chords, arpeggios, play a melody line, riff, lead, etc. If you mess up, delete the last layer with a press and hold of the footswitch. It's all good.

Offline Nilo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 06:29:44 am »
Good info CT! Thanks for sharing. I’m still learning to use mine but have had some good fun on it so far!

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 08:27:45 am »
Before I got an amp with fx loop I used to the following:
1. set fx to my lead sound
2. turn down volume on the guitar to clean up the sound
3. record the rhythm guitar
4. turn up guitar volume to full lead sound
5. play over the recorded loop
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Nilo

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 10:45:23 am »
Before I got an amp with fx loop I used to the following:
1. set fx to my lead sound
2. turn down volume on the guitar to clean up the sound
3. record the rhythm guitar
4. turn up guitar volume to full lead sound
5. play over the recorded loop

Awesome. I’m a noob so I never thought of this but I’m definitely going to try as soon as I get home from work! Did you get good results?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 107
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 11:07:02 am »
Yes, it works ok. Not the same as through an amp with fx loop, but it’ll suffice.
AND you will learn a lot on how the guitar can sound just by turning a knob.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline ewan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 12:34:38 pm »
These all sound about right.

I've heard of people hacking this using the headphone out and aux-in on some amps, but this doesn't really work very well.

My suggestion, as a cheap and quick option, would be to look at something like a Zoom/Digitech/Boss multifx unit which has effects and run the amp on clean. Some of these have loopers built in, so you may be able to trade your current looper in for one.

By the way, if you do look at a new amp in the future, you can still go with a modelling amp as long as it has an FX loop. I'm using a Boss Katana 100 and the only external pedals I use are an RC-3 looper and a tuner.

All the actual FX are in the Katana and controlled with the foot-controller.

All of that works well with the looper.

Cheers,

Keith
Hi Keith,

Any chance you could run me through your setup, please? I have the katana 100/212 and have just bought an RC-1. How would I go about running this without changing the loop playback tone when changing channels?

Thanks,

Ewan

Sent from my [device_name] using newbielink:http://JustinGuitar Community mobile app [nonactive]

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 10:16:57 am »
I did a little diagram of the important parts:

This is using my RC-3, but it is the same for the RC-1 or any other looper. It should also work with any other amp with an effects loop.

Make sure you have the effect loop on the Katana set to "Series". That is the default, but if you've been playing in Tone Studio you may have changed it. You can also set the loop level in Tone Studio and turn it on/off, so if this isn't working for you then check the settings.

If you have the GA-FC Footswitch controller you can also turn the loop on/off with one of the switches when the footswitch is in Effects mode. This is normally designed for something like a modulation pedal in the loop so, in general, you would leave this on. Again, something to check if things aren't working.

Other stuff: The EV-5 in my photo is connected to one of the EXP PEDAL inputs on the GA-FC. The FS-7 footswitch is connected to the "STOP/MEMORY SHIFT" input on the RC-3.

TOP TIP: Get different coloured instrument cables to help you wire this stuff up easier. I have a red, blue and purple cable which I use just like in the diagram:
Red - TU-3/Guitar to amp input
Blue- FX send to looper input
Purple - Looper output to FX return

Cheers,

Keith

Offline lisan101

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 01:20:49 pm »
I was thinking...
Is it possible to send the loop to a mixer using the mixer out and play it on a different speaker?
That way you can workaround not having fx loop on the amp...

Offline Majik

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 123
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 03:54:32 pm »
If your amp has a line out then, yes you could use that to send the signal to the looper and the output of the looper to a separate amp/speaker (you don't need a mixer).

Cheers,

Keith

Offline pan

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 04:59:04 pm »
Very interesting advice Keith. My modelling amp does not have an FX loop and I am thinking to connect the headphones output of the amplifier, to the auxiliary input of the looper, and then to my audio system. I understand that this is what you mentioned as a possibility. Do you think the performance is worse than putting the looper in the FX loop?

thank you in advance!!

Get The Forum As A Mobile App