Author Topic: 008 2017 (September) - The Long Way Home  (Read 3898 times)

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
008 2017 (September) - The Long Way Home
« on: September 18, 2017, 12:37:48 pm »
Hi Guys

Here’s my effort for September. It's a cover of the Long Way Home by Tom Waits, it's not the Norah Jones version. 

https://youtu.be/-bR_akL70Ec

The challenge with this one has been pick and string noise, for some reason that’s been really bad on this song. On the original it’s played with a bit of a palm mute, but I’ve really struggled to keep the thin strings quiet when muting, and the pick seems a lot louder when I mute so in the end I’ve played it open(ish) but strummed relatively softly.

This isn’t perfect but it’s a fair reflection of my playing. Hope you enjoy and I’d welcome any tips.

G
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:11:42 pm by close2u »

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: 008 September - The Long Way Home
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 01:21:13 pm »
Gareth,

That was fabulous.  I don't know the original, know very little of Tom Waits, but need to track this one down.  What album is it from?  The only one I know is Heart of a Saturday Night, which is quite different (but a great album IMHO)

You've really upped your game by adding the bass notes and walk up (or down) between some of the chords.  And your singing combined with the guitar delivered a performance that had a great feel to it ... most enjoyable.

I didn't pick up any issues in how you played it.  Can't offer any tips.

Well done!!

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 01:31:29 pm »
Hi David

Its from Orphans which is a collection of songs he never released. I expect this was a reject from Mule as it sounds a bit like some of the Mule stuff.

Here's the original:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCk-f03o6aA

If you like it may I also suggest this cover by Greg Boerner which I think exceptional. the break in the middle is his own work and it's arguably better than the humming section the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGCxIQJhWU

Happy listening!

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:34:58 pm »
Garfield I thought you played this nicely. The vocal was a little low but actually pretty balanced with the guitar. You kept the bass line going nicely and overall a good  song.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 04:59:28 pm »

Thanks for those links, Gareth.

Having listened to the original, I think you did a really superb job of this one.

The second cover was impressive.  I like the style of guitar playing ... can dream of getting to play that style of guitar playing ... many, many hours from now  :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:10:48 pm by close2u »

Online embishop

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 72
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 06:51:45 pm »
Hi Garfield, I wasn't familiar with the song either. I listened through and enjoyed the song and your performance. Nice job on the bass notes picking and the run, and your chord changes are really smooth. I then listened to part of the original, and the other cover, so would say I quite enjoyed your interpretation. Nice.
Gretsch G5420T,  Epiphone SG400, Taylor 325ce, Martin OMCPA5
Boss Katana 50, Boss RC-1 loop pedal
Yamaha Clavinova CLP-525 digital piano

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 08:33:22 pm »
Thanks for the nice comments guys, always appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 01:28:39 pm »
I really enjoyed this. As usual your singing is beautiful. I did find the pick noise kind of distracting, and although you're doing really well at the alternate bass note picking, I think it needed a bit more oomph, especially on the E string. That's just me being picky (Haha, I made a pun) and something to maybe think about as you work on this.

Great job, overall!

Lynn

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 02:34:07 pm »

Lynn,

I'm working on a song at the moment that includes some base notes and riffs between strummed chords.  Possibly it is just early days that prevents me really hitting the picked notes hard enough to get some decent volume, but at present those notes are a lot softer than the strummed chord.  What tips might you offer to help pick (I can also pun haha) up that volume ....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:11:26 pm by close2u »

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 65
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 02:38:09 pm »
DavidP one thing you might want to try is a thicker pick that has more resistance. You'll then get a nice clean contact with the string that'll give you some volume. As with most things though part of it is just practice.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 03:15:10 pm »
I certainly can't do it any better than you do! Haha. You're already a better guitarist than I am. I rely on others to do the hard stuff.

I bet the answer is just practice.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:12:30 pm by close2u »

Offline Garfield

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 27
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 03:47:44 pm »

Thanks Red. That pick noise has been driving me crazy, it's actually about as good as I can get it on this recording. I've tried all sorts of picks and I've been fiddling with my strumming technique. It's a lot worse when I mute it. Weirdly I don't seem to get it so bad on other songs.

As for the E string you're dead right, you must have good ears. I whack the A string harder for some reason. At some points I was going for dynamics but at others I was just being too soft.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:13:45 pm by close2u »

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 04:29:34 pm »
DavidP one thing you might want to try is a thicker pick that has more resistance. You'll then get a nice clean contact with the string that'll give you some volume. As with most things though part of it is just practice.
Thanks Rossco

Thicker pick getting more when picking an individual string and probably generating more volume strumming ... may have to develop a lighter touch strumming.  Shall give it a try and continue to practise  :)

Online DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 189
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 04:33:19 pm »
I certainly can't do it any better than you do! Haha. You're already a better guitarist than I am. I rely on others to do the hard stuff.

I bet the answer is just practice.
Kind of you to say that, though I'm not really convinced.  Irrespective, shall keep practising and hopefully get better balance between picked and strummed in due course ... practise and patience  ;)

Online redrhodie

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 59
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 06:02:34 pm »
Well, I just played it for my partner, and he thought it sounded perfect, and that I'm crazy. Haha. Thought you'd like to know.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:15:30 pm by close2u »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App