Author Topic: Don't Think Twice, It's Alright Cover  (Read 537 times)

Offline jtibbs97

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
Don't Think Twice, It's Alright Cover
« on: September 16, 2017, 06:39:20 pm »
I sense a lot of room for improvement on this one. The vocals kick in around the 20 second mark. I'll redo this and Lay Lady Lay after, but for now...what are your thoughts on this? 

https://soundcloud.com/user-539021294/dont-think-twice-its-alright

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
Re: Don't Think Twice, It's Alright Cover
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 08:24:02 pm »
Playing sounded ok, though a fair amount of background noise. I thought vocal was ok, though last little bit sounded a bit odd. Maybe work on learning the song before starting to experiment with arrangement.  Nothing specific on the performance, just keep working at it to polish it up.

Offline MrBumble

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 09:21:15 pm »
Playing was good but the overall sound was a bit muffled. The vocals were a bit lost.
Good effort though.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 45
  • What next???
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 10:38:22 pm »
Difficult to comment really, sound quality just doesn't do it justice!
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline Scooter Trash

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 80
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 11:35:14 pm »
I thought the playing and singing were good. Recording sounded like it had a tape or vinyl plugin on it with noise, wow, and flutter? The last phrase sounded like it was band-passed. I think those techniques could work well with the song to make it sound like an old cassette tape.. but the mix/recording as-is is a bit too noisy.. I think the performance was good.
I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross roads without their motives being questioned.

Offline davidvac

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 20
  • Maidenhead, Berkshire
    • Holybrook
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 12:55:30 pm »
Hats off on the performance. Nice finger work. The pattern seems steady and I think the vocals are good too. I agree with other comments re the recording quality.

David Vachell
https://soundcloud.com/david-vachell
Martin LX1E, TC-Helicon Play Acoustic, Laney AH4x4, Focusrite iDock

Offline jtibbs97

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 10:51:38 pm »
Thanks for listening and the response. I learned that song day of and got a little eager. (New to recording)

It's deceptive though! Sounds simple, but it isn't at all. I've been practicing though, so I'll redo it sooner than later.

But, there's a problem... I don't have a computer, so I'm recording on my phone and I don't have a clue how to remove the noise.

Also, should I be recording the vocals and guitar separately, or at the same time?

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 06:31:51 am »
But, there's a problem... I don't have a computer, so I'm recording on my phone and I don't have a clue how to remove the noise.
What kind of phone do you have?

If an iPhone then folk here are talking about this device as an affordable, easy way to take your recording up a notch ... https://itrack.focusrite.com/products/itrack-pocket.  This will give you a much better mic and other capabilities as well that would be useful.

If an Android-based phone, I downloaded a recorder app onto my Android tablet, to make quick and easy recordings.  It had some quality settings and some basic noise filters.  Something like that might work better than the default software on the phone but will still be constrained by the quality of the phone's mic.  But it is chalk and cheese compared to the results I get with my home recording setup.

Then you could check out if it is possible to hook an external mic onto your phone.  Even a relatively cheap one would probably be way better then the built-in mic.

Lot more food for thought here ... https://www.wildmountainechoes.com/equipment/audio-recording-with-a-smartphone/

Then you get devices like this ... https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/zoom-h1-handy-recorder.  Pretty sure this would be a big step up in recording quality.  Not sure how you'd get files off this onto the phone to upload?

Not sure what other options you may have that are not dependent on a computer. 

Also, should I be recording the vocals and guitar separately, or at the same time?

I think the best answer to that question is "it depends".  You can do either, neither is more or less right than the other.  It depends what you are trying to do and what allows you to make the best possible recording.

That said, you've got to work within the limitations of your recording gear.  Can you make a multi-track recording on your phone?  I suppose if it is an iPhone then maybe you can run GarageBand (or some other similar app) on the phone then no problem. And with the iTrack device you could do a lot.  No idea what similar options there may be on Android phones.

For me personally, I have made some multi-track recordings where I wanted to pan the instruments left and right but keep vocal in the centre.  For that I over-dubbed the vocal.  But as my playing and singing has improved, I've found I get a more natural sounding recording, with better energy, by recording me playing and singing at the same time.

Hope some of this somewhat lengthy reply is helpful ...

Just keep working at it and experimenting to figure out what works best for you..

Offline Rossco01

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 63
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 08:58:09 am »
In terms of improving recording quality Zoom H1 would really give you a significant improvement. It's generally designed to plug it into a computer OR if you have an SD card slot that you can take the SD card from the H1 and put in your tablet/phone. There are plenty of posts online though about using it with Android and Iphone with a OTG cable so it coule be an option at around £79.

The itrack pocket - I have it - is okay for £20 but the focusrite app really doesn't give you an awful lot to tinker with. That said you can use it with garage band on your iphone/ipad which would give you more options for adjusting the quality of your sound. I haven't done this yet as just tend to use my laptop etc. I bought the itrack for when I go away.

Personally I'd go the Zoom route.
BC 11/13-11/14, IM Stage 05
Yamaha FG700MS, Yamaha Pacifica 112V, Fender Mustang 1v2, Zoom G5, Jamman Looper
Follow me on >> https://soundcloud.com/rossco01
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHlzgAndj0AFFSNE1iGnbQQ

Get The Forum As A Mobile App