Author Topic: First Cover Ever- Lay Lady Lay  (Read 239 times)

Offline jtibbs97

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
First Cover Ever- Lay Lady Lay
« on: September 08, 2017, 04:42:16 pm »
What are your thoughts and what can I do to make my music/covers better?

Please be honest. I plan on redoing this after all of the suggestions. 

https://soundcloud.com/user-539021294/lay-lady-lay-cover

Also, if anyone has any questions, ask away!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
Re: First Cover Ever- Lay Lady Lay
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 04:51:35 pm »
I enjoyed most of that. I liked the guitar, cool tones. Vocal was good.

To improve?

Play the whole song.

Percussion from about 20s was a bit much for me, didn't seem in harmony with your rendition.

Overall, well done and look forward to the next version

Offline jtibbs97

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 03:55:41 am »
Thank you for the kind words DavidP! I'm really happy you liked it.

I just got started with layered recording, so I'm not exactly sure of the entire process.

Since I don't play the drums, or have a kit it's kind of funny...

The percussion was made up of beatboxing, thumping a book as a kick, snapping my fingers, tapping my fingers onto my laptop and clapping.

I felt so "indie" haha, but I do suppose there are limitations as to what you can do on your own.

On top of that, I used my iPhone to record all of this hahahaha!!

Offline jtibbs97

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 04:00:16 am »
If anyone else could chime in on a suggestion, or even an opinion, please do so.

I'm not afraid of getting my feelings hurt, so even if you don't like it, let me know why.

Is this something you would find yourself listening to, or caring to go back to?

Was there anything interesting/memorable about it?

Does the playing style sound comparable to anybody else?

Offline davidvac

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 20
  • Maidenhead, Berkshire
    • Holybrook
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:43:38 am »
Hi there.

I liked this and thought it showed promise. Dylan is probably the most re-interpreted artist on the planet so I wouldn't worry about who you sound like. It's good to sound like yourself.

I'm with DavidP - I found the percussion a bit over done. and it got in the way of the melody. The percussion is like the foundations of the house, it holds the song together and supports it but most people hardly realise it's there - they just 'feel' it. Maybe limit it to just a couple of elements. I like the way you have used basic materials rather than programmed midi drums - it sounds quite natural and clean - just a wee bit too much. Maybe you could try winding it back in the mix a bit so as to bring the guitar further forward.

As fare as I could hear, the guitar sounds clean and crisp. These chord changes can be quite tricky as they are all slid barres down the fretboard and you seem to have done a neat job of that. Also, I like that you've mixed strumming and picking, that works really well.

On the vocal front, that was the area where I personally would lose the female part. Notwithstanding what I said about re-interpretation, this is an unashamedly "male" song. It's sexy and deep and IMHO it wants you to come out and be right out there with what you want from your girl. Lose your inhibitions, get into the deepest part of you and really go for it - think how you would really say this if you were just talking to your lady and forget that it's a song. The voice is the most spiritual instrument we have and this is a song that really cries out for you to 'own it'.

I think you've got the beginnings of a great track here. Best of luck with reworking it into what you really want.

David
Martin LX1E, TC-Helicon Play Acoustic, Laney AH4x4, Focusrite iDock

Get The Forum As A Mobile App