Author Topic: Strumming without a pick  (Read 187 times)

Offline Dieter Dobro

• Good Vibes 0
Strumming without a pick
« on: September 08, 2017, 09:33:01 am »
Hi,

I'm a newbie player and I have a little question.
I like to practice every evening on my guitar when my three children are in bed.
Since I play a resonator guitar, playing with a pick sounds very loud, so I decided that I better play without.

When I strum I do the downstrums with my thumb and the upstrums with my index finger.  Is that allright or do I start to introduce a bad habbit?

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 92
Re: Strumming without a pick
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:58:00 am »
Welcome to the forum.

From my point of view you should consider why you want to play the dobro. It is build like that because it's meant to be heard and to cut through. Playing such an instrument strumming your fingers really defeats it's purpose and will never give you the skill of playing with a pick.
If your goal is to play fingerstyle on the dobro it's another story, but you should decide for yourself what you are aiming for.

I can relate to practicing late at night while the family sleeps.
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline Dieter Dobro

• Good Vibes 0
Re: Strumming without a pick
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 10:03:33 am »
Hi,

Indeed, it is the goal to do the fingerpicking style once I'm ready for it.
But I need to start somewhere and fingerpicking is way to difficult yet.

Cheers

Offline Barnezy

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 4
Strumming without a pick
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 12:02:21 pm »
I'm in the same boat. I practice finger style when baby is in bed and practice strumming whenever it's not going to be an issue. As a result, my finger picking is coming along nicely and strumming is an easier technique to grasp, at least for me.

Wes Montgomery who is considered to be the best Jazz guitarist of all time was in the same boat too. He had to be quite when he practiced at night as he had 3 children and developed a technique where he played everything with his thumb. It didn't do him any harm.

https://youtu.be/VBGZgyl72_g

I would say at this early stage there is no need to focus on whether your going to be a finger style or pick player and then only focus on that. You want to build good skills in all techniques initially and maybe when you feel you favour one type of music or style, you then put more focus on that. By then your kids my have left home already

Sent from my iPad using JustinGuitar.com Forum
Guitars: Martin Dreadknot Junior, Fender MIA Std Stratocaster, Admira A2 Classical
Amps and Pedals: Blackstar HT1R, Boss GT1
Favourite Styles: Finger Style, Blues, Folk, Rock
Favourite Guitarists: Mark Knopfler, Clapton, Jonny Greenwood, Hendrix

Get The Forum As A Mobile App