Author Topic: Easiest way to record video and multi-track audio?  (Read 718 times)

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
Easiest way to record video and multi-track audio?
« on: June 14, 2018, 03:17:58 pm »
I like to record video of myself playing as well as just audio, but haven't figured out an easy way yet and wish to avoid as much video editing as possible as I hate it!

I have a USB interface for guitar + microphone and record using GarageBand, so I can tweak levels afterwards. And a fairly nice webcam, but the audio recording quality was distorting and anyway I find my unplugged vocal and guitar levels are often not the right balance.

• I suppose I COULD simply do a live take recording using the USB interface as my sound source in Quicktime (or iMovie?) after checking the levels? Is that likely to work?
  • Or could I do the above but pan guitar to hard left and mic to hard right, and edit the levels easily in iMovie?
  • But of course, recording the audio in GB lets me add guitar modelling, reverb, etc which might be nice - but then I have to record audio and video simultaneously in two apps, and combine afterwards, right? No idea if that raises issues.

What's a simple method that doesn't require pro software/equipment, and will let me get YouTube-ready videos i.e. not studio production but good enough?

Offline cre8tive1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
Re: Easiest way to record video and multi-track audio?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 06:56:35 am »
If you have an iPhone.....An iRig2 plugged into an iPhone does the trick for me. I just upload the video from my iPhone to YouTube which encodes it as needed.

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 10:08:46 am »
I have an iRigPro though I haven't used it for a long time... my version is mono IIRC sadly.

Offline cre8tive1

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 02:53:16 pm »
I have an iRigPro though I haven't used it for a long time... my version is mono IIRC sadly.
I just picked one up —they are only about $40 at Sweetwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 03:18:22 pm »
You have an interface, but do you have a mic? I suppose you could get a mic and use REAPER to record your audio. You can then drag the video you recorded into REAPER, sync it and export it as video. You retain the freedom to mix your audio, add effects and whatever and have the video in the same environment.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Offline john256

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 28
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 08:26:08 pm »
Oh yes, I have a decent mic which is another reason I want to get audio that way but from the webcam mic

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline Cue Zephyr

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 90
  • Who's picking the banjo here?
    • Ezyo Music
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 03:57:31 pm »
Oh yes, I have a decent mic which is another reason I want to get audio that way but from the webcam mic
Pretty sure you can't.

I suppose you could also connect the USB interface audio output to an iRig sort of thing. It works but you still don't have that much control over the audio you getting. You can set your gain levels but if you don't have a mixing board or DSP mixing in your interface, you can't do much more than that.
Guitar, banjo, mandolin and piano, bass and percussion only when needed
Production and mixing

Get The Forum As A Mobile App