Author Topic: Preventing guitar neck movement  (Read 507 times)

Offline Barend

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Preventing guitar neck movement
« on: September 03, 2017, 04:38:43 pm »
Hi. I am struggling to keep my neck still when moving between chords, especially  when jumping from say the A chord to a barre chord lower down the neck... for this i have to let go of the neck completely cor a split second. . My right forearm tend to rest on the guitar which pushes it backwards on the right. When i let go of the neck with my left hand, it moves forward slightly on. The left side. I can solve this by keeping my right arm away from the guitar, but my arm starts cramping and it feels akward.

Any suggestions on getting the guitar more stable to prevent this?

Offline jono

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
Re: Preventing guitar neck movement
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:48:54 pm »
I would say you are pressing too hard with your left hand when pressing the chord.
It is normal for the first few months of playing and should fix itself.
However as you are playing barre chords have you been playing a while?

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Barend

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 2
Re: Preventing guitar neck movement
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 10:25:18 pm »
Hi Jono.

Thanks for the tip. You have a point. If i am more relaxed with my left hand, the movement of the neck is less.

I have played basic 3 chord songs on and off for 25 years, but never more than say an evening here and there. I always played the F barrre.. which has helped me with the F#m barre, so the F#m is only the 2nd barre that i try...
 I took lead guitar lessons for the past year and since about may i started practising specific songs...
I have done a lot of groundwork, but needs to add the last say 30 pct to tidy things up.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App