Author Topic: Pimp my Hobner ! All input appreciated !  (Read 730 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
Re: Pimp my Hobner ! All input appreciated !
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 06:37:08 am »
Thanks Troy

I do enjoy that song ...

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 12:18:07 am »
So... what's been happening......

Now as the country's newest and most foremost expert on the Hobner 265 guitar I'd been thinking about setting up an owners club ! Obviously Kate (out of This is The Kit) would be member No1 and I would be No2. I'm not sure there would be many more though ? I've kept the Ebay alert on and not come across another one yet ! You would be, of course, be free to join if you can prove Hobner ownership !

What's it like ? Well, I'm obviously horridly biased but I really like it. It's a very light guitar. I was somewhat surprised by it's weight which feels much much lighter then The Ibanez, which, thinking about it, is obviously going to be the case as it has been designed as an acoustic, whereas The Ibanez wasn't. The Ibanez feels kind of digital in the hand, expertly machined by robots, quality, precise. A truly brilliant guitar don't get me wrong. Something that Kraftwerk would really appreciate !

The Hobner is none of these.

Up close it's rough and ready !  An analogue throwback in a digital world. Made of Basswood (what the hell is that ?) and based on a 60 year old design. The binding isn't even binding as it's just a thick layer of creme paint around the f holes and edges. Effective from a distance though. The label inside does state it's of Hobner Musik quality so I am slightly reassured ! The very same label can be seen in Kates Hobner in the above videos if you're vigilant.

A Zero fret..... Very Hofner !

It's not a Hofner. Honest Guv !!

If this is their "Export Quality" I hate to think what the home market guitars are like

The tuners are kind of cute and I'll be keeping them. They even have a little scrolled "h" cast into the plastic.

And I have issues with the bridge. Luckily enough I know somebody who has plenty to play around with !

Despite the bent posts it still played OK !

The bridge is awful though. That'll be going.

Witness the "Hobner Compensator Tailpiece"  A work of art ! With the legend "Hobner" scratched in !

I've now stripped it down. The pickup and electrics have been ordered, and it's soon to be transformed from ugly duckling ! The black is very boring so I'm looking to liven that up a bit.

I'll have to learn "Moonshine Freeze" and post it here for your critique ! 

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:56:28 am by troy »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 49
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 06:40:37 am »
Hey Troy

Thanks for another post written in your own inimitable style ... I always finish with a broad smile on my face.

Can't offer much input on the "pimping" ... playing is enough challenge for me without getting into setting up, swapping out etc ...

And now I am eagerly awaiting your cover of Moonshine Freeze!

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 07:49:28 am »
^^^^^^^^^^
Yup, can't wait ;)
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Offline Johan217

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 08:13:57 am »
Troy I truly enjoy your writing!

Looking at that last video and seeing the other guitarist with a Fender Jazzmaster it looks like Kate has the same P90 as the Jazzmaster which would explain the sound.
Jazzmaster pickups are not P90s, though they look similar on the outside.
Short story long: https://mmguitarbar.com/2013/07/23/demystifying-the-fender-jazzmaster-and-jaguar-pt-4-pickup-lines/

Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline DarrellW

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 34
  • Still learning.......
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 08:36:46 am »
Thanks for clarifying that, that possibly explains why I've always thought a Jazzmaster sounds a bit tame to something like a LP goldtop P90, I always put it down to the wood!
Interesting article that!
Acoustic: Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical.
Electric: Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; Vintage V6 reissued Strat.
Amp: Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal

Get The Forum As A Mobile App