Author Topic: Pimp my Hobner ! All input appreciated !  (Read 8747 times)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 228
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
Re: Pimp my Hobner ! All input appreciated !
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2017, 07:04:13 am »
Thanks Troy

That is also my experience in this Community ... incredible unconditional, non-judgmental support and encouragement for all who are taking this journey to learn to play.

So can only say as LB would say KEEP ROCKING !!

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2017, 10:49:27 am »
Troy, it's been a pleasure so please carry on here you're fun and that's definitely what's needed!!!
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2017, 02:42:43 pm »
SHOCK AND OUTRAGE ON THE UK'S ONLY DEDICATED HOBNER THREAD

Kate Stables (aka This is the Kit) Claims her Hobner is made of a "cardboard-y material"  !!!!!!!!!!    Surely this is an insult to cardboard !

This is the first time I've seen her talk about her Hobner and retells the story I told (scooped !) you all on this thread some time ago about it's bootsale heritage.

Read and listen along to the interview here.....

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2017/11/15/the-current-guitar-collection-kate-stables-this-is-the-kit-hobner-guitar-zither-banjo

Cardboard-y ! How dare she ! The nerve of the woman denigrating my fine handcrafted (in India) instrument. That's her off the Christmas card list.

On a sidenote I'm now bass-ing with another band.  Here we are playing a sell out show in someones front room.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pcLtsuEjPHtaswqmmJNf3Byz_V0Kg4Kt/view?usp=sharing

It's all a bit bluegrass and the BLACK SABBATH Yamaha is looking a little out of place here I think so, me being me, I've sort of gone and bought a different bass guitar.

I'll update with pics when it arrives as you wouldn't have heard of this one either ! A few clues to be going on with...... It's Dutch and about as old as I am. It will be a miracle if it's playable !

TBC
"Oh no, it's not a Hofner, it's a Hobner" . WHAATTT !!!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 228
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »
Good to hear from you again, Troy ... such is the fickleness of like ... easy Kate is go

Enjoyed that front room sell out performance ... sounding good.

Offline Barend

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 11
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2017, 06:02:11 pm »
SHOCK AND OUTRAGE ON THE UK'S ONLY DEDICATED HOBNER THREAD

Kate Stables (aka This is the Kit) Claims her Hobner is made of a "cardboard-y material"  !!!!!!!!!!    Surely this is an insult to cardboard !

This is the first time I've seen her talk about her Hobner and retells the story I told (scooped !) you all on this thread some time ago about it's bootsale heritage.

Read and listen along to the interview here.....

https://www.thecurrent.org/feature/2017/11/15/the-current-guitar-collection-kate-stables-this-is-the-kit-hobner-guitar-zither-banjo

Cardboard-y ! How dare she ! The nerve of the woman denigrating my fine handcrafted (in India) instrument. That's her off the Christmas card list.

On a sidenote I'm now bass-ing with another band.  Here we are playing a sell out show in someones front room.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pcLtsuEjPHtaswqmmJNf3Byz_V0Kg4Kt/view?usp=sharing

It's all a bit bluegrass and the BLACK SABBATH Yamaha is looking a little out of place here I think so, me being me, I've sort of gone and bought a different bass guitar.

I'll update with pics when it arrives as you wouldn't have heard of this one either ! A few clues to be going on with...... It's Dutch and about as old as I am. It will be a miracle if it's playable !

TBC
This is a fun read Troy. Tx!!!

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2017, 11:15:55 pm »
So........ It's been a while !  Performance video ahead though !

And yet another waif and stray gets added to the collection.... I was telling my mate Jonathan (lead singer in an earlier video I posted) about my proclivity for the unsung hero. If there was a dog, rabbit, hamster etc with a missing ear left at the local re homing center I'd be the sucker that would have to take it home and run up thousands in vets bills (although I know a vet who might do "mates rates" !)

This particular "dog" is called Edmond and is a Princess. It's 54 years old and was kept in a loft in Southampton unfed and unwatered for as long as the present owner could remember. The height of cruelty !  Here she is with the (now) legendary Hobner !

An Egmond Princess Bass !  Built in Eindhoven by the finest Dutch luthiers in 1964, it's older than I am ! . Ebay, purchase price £68

I collected it from Southampton, got it home and just plugged it in after god knows how many years and it sounded............ absolutely sh1te ! Truly awful.

The strings were shot so put on some Thomastik flatwounds. These were £45 ! Almost as much as the guitar but at the time I didn't realise a few things. One thing being it's a SHORT SCALE bass, and no, it doesn't look like it. The distance from the bridge to the zero fret ( ala Hobner) is a miniscule 30" but I needed medium scale strings due to the fact they travel on quite a way to the tailpiece. All very complicated and because of lower demand, pricier ! That said, the new strings are lovely. Neck and Bridge pickups (also fitted to similar era Hofners (not Hobners !)) Volume and Tone for each and neither worked properly but a strip out of all the electrics and a generous squirt of WD contact cleaner and they all worked like new ! I've had to fit a different bridge for the time being as the old one needs a bit of work, but as I have about 23 bridges in stock it wasn't much trouble to find one that worked !

The neck is like a log. It's massive ! No "thumb overs" on this baby and is attached to the body by one adjustable screw which tensions a great big F Off spring twixt neck and body to compensate for string tension. And no, the system doesn't really work. The strings are either flat on the neck or so high above it's unplayable and oh, also, someone has sheared off the truss rod end so that can't be adjusted at all. I think that sums up all the bad news.

The good news. It looks fantastic, note the odd lower f-hole which I presume is to let out more "sound" ?? No idea, but the pick guard is missing. It does sound terrific now, I'm not joking about this, it really does. I love it's hollowy tone and being a short scale it does have a unique sound.

But........  it is still a handful to play at the moment and nowhere near as easy as my Black Sabbath Yamaha. As an aside, the wife is not happy at all (see previous posts) and demanded a "one in" - "one out" deal. I have now hidden the Yamaha under the bed.

This guy loves his Princess so there are at least two of us !  http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2017/06/22/old-school-1964-egmond-princess-bass/

Anyway, it didn't stop me giving the Princess a run out !

Here we are at a local acoustic cafe...

The same Foggy Mountain as in the sell out front room gig.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ElQr92hzLpPZOSjj0o2TawuRjlQCLezJ/view?usp=sharing

900 Miles https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g8LrUEaJELgsrl4_3osElO38vbLIuZJV/view?usp=sharing

And we backed up the fiddle players lad with this. https://drive.google.com/file/d/16otzNkcNwKoesWp620N2SMRmRtarIPXZ/view?usp=sharing

I'm going to try and work the Hobner into this somehow !

If only Hobner made a Bass.  :'(

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 04:46:56 am »
I think what you've done is ace!!!! Looks a lovely mature (old) piece of history, I actually know the brand well having grown up with one of their guitars! It was a Rossetti/Egmont Lucky7, bit like a Gibson ES125, if you can find one they are a lovely guitar!
A great enthusiasts site and one in use:

http://www.egmond.se/egmond_se_History.html

I also have 'rescued' a lovely old (1970) acoustic in the week, I found a K550 (Gibson dove copy) made for the Kay catalogs I think in Japan; it was filthy dirty and had no strings - I fleeced them of it for £10!!!
It scrubbed up well and with some old strings sounds nice; I've ordered some Silk and steel strings for it to avoid over stressing the neck, and yes we are in love ;)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hGuGH1Vm6IotIdWYVKvG25OrGeOuL7FO/view?usp=drivesdk
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 05:04:22 am by DarrellW »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 228
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 05:21:59 pm »
Welcome back, Troy the Guitar Rescuer.

Love what you do and reading all about the trials and tribulations you overcome to bring these instruments back to life.

But mostly what I loved about this post was the three videos.  The songs were well played, sound pretty good and a video that captured the vibe. Wonderful.

Now what I am missing ....

The moment in the first instrumental when all paused, muted and fell on their knees in homage to the resurrected bass, while you ripped through a middle 8 bass solo.

Can't do nothing about that now.

But the next can be remedied.

These tracks were great and need to be shared more broadly. Soooooo.....

Either you post them on the AVOYP board so more people can enjoy the music, or I may post up on the Just chatting board to share how much I enjoyed your band, and direct more folk to check out your Road Case.  That said, all regulars here ought to have read your Road Case, from the start.

Lastly, Dream Catch Me sure did move me. What a performance.  The lad sings like a star. I wondered if this was an original.  Quick Google took me to a version of the original.  I was playing all the videos for my wife and our reaction on hearing the original was the same ... we prefer yours!!

Thanks for sharing with us.

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2017, 09:25:51 am »
Hey Guys !

It has been a while, but it's nice to come back with quite a big update on stuff that has been going on all in one lump just to try and keep it semi-interesting !

Yes Darrell, I have seen the Egmond site you mention and am very impressed indeed that you knew about them. I usually get a lot of blank faces when talking to other guitarists about my chosen (fate ?) brands !  But with the Princess I'm in good company as in their early days both Brian May and Paul McCartney had Egmonds (until they could afford proper playable instruments that worked obviously !)

Realistically, most Egmonds will have been used as firewood. It wasn't expensive when new and is not expensive now despite it's "vintage" credentials. This bass is the only guitar I know where you can adjust the action actually between songs, or during, if you're brave. All you need to do is put your knee into the back of it at the neck/body joint and pull the neck back to lower the action or push it away from you to increase it !  It creaks and groans a lot but is effective !

I wish I'd taken a picture of the mechanism when it was apart to show you as the neck has a pivot point where it meets the body and dependent on how you adjust the single screw holding the neck to body it alters the angle of the neck against a great big spring ! Fine adjustment is then taken care of by the "knee in the back" technique. In theory this is a truly marvelous innovation that the likes of Gibson should have adopted years ago. The fact they didn't tells you all you really need to know ! It's awful.

From here I haven't decided where to go really. The truss rod is snapped so I may be brave and have a go at my first fingerboard removal to replace it, after which I can just remove the spring and shim the neck to the desired fixed action. The jury is out however as nobody apart from me gives a monkeys as long as I can play the damned thing to an acceptable standard !

I like the look of your Kay as it's exactly the sort of thing I'd give a home too ! I nearly bought a Kiso Suzuki Hummingbird which was not dissimilar . It does look pretty good now but what are those screws on the bridge for ? Has it come off and someone screwed it back on ? They are not the prettiest !

As for performing a middle 8 Bass solo David I can think of nothing worse ! I hate up there own ar5es bassists who believe they should be the star of the show. They really do need to learn that a bass is an instrument that enhances the overall sound without ever being overly intrusive (all IMHO)  ;D .

Dream Catch Me was a Newton Faulkner song which the fiddle players lad wanted to do and he is pretty good ! He's only 11 I think but can certainly hold a tune. (Thanks for the kind comments). I was a little worried about the Egmond and feedback but we just plugged it into the desk and it behaved perfectly ! The Yamaha was on standby just in case though.

The "Acoustic Cafe" is soon to be moving from the local village hall to a pub ! Best news ever !  I'm guessing the playing standard will drop dramatically as the number of pints consumed increases. I'm looking forward to this very much.

So, over the next month or so I'll be learning more songs on the Egmond to support the band as we're playing again in January I think and Jonathan has a Christmas party, so we're also trying to cram in six new Christmassy tunes learn't on The Hobner (unplugged) for that.  For someone that can remember the chords quite easily but never in the correct order this will be a challenge !

Have a good Christmas all and I'll catch up in the New Year.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 94
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2017, 09:52:40 am »
Haha how strange, I had a Suzuki Hummingbird copy years ago, I couldn’t get on with how narrow the neck was, obviously made for very small people ;)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 228
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2017, 01:27:29 pm »
Troy,

You are a treat.

OK, fair enough no bass solos ...

But I did notice how you conveniently ducked the issue of posting your videos over in AVOYP.  That Dream song is most definitely worth sharing more broadly.

And it has the added side effect of helping to keep me humble ... now I can say I know at least one eleven year old who already sings way better than I do ... has much more hair as well ... at least I have a beard and shall maintain that advantage for a few years yet.

Look forward to more tales and tunes in the New Year

Wishing you and yours a most blessed Christmas and New Year !!

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2017, 12:07:52 am »
How much does one get paid for a 1st page hit on the Googly net ? A squillion at the least ? I'd really like to retire soon if that's possible !

Good news. I am now bringing more traffic to this site than Justin could have ever imagined ! (increase your bandwidth baby, and pay me in bitcoins !)

If you happen to search for "This is the Kit" and "Hobner" on the Google (I admit that this is very unlikely to be anyone's search terms...... ever........., BUT !) it does see our thread on the first page !

I'm definitely on the case now, and will endeavor to bring this full circle where the song that started me off 18 months ago ("Magic Spell" by This Is The Kit) is reproduced in full video by my good self with my very own Hobner !

If it sounds anything like a 1/4 of The Stables talent I'd be pleased

My Hobner does have a quite a badly twisted neck so it will be horribly out of tune ! (I'm guessing like most of them!) How she can play and tune a Hobner is beyond me as I find it incredibly difficult !

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 228
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2017, 05:15:50 am »
Well Troy, it is a great song.  Good one to exercise solid rhythm playing with that light palm mute in play throughout.  Have fun learning it and look forward to checking it out soon ...

Offline MrBumble

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 17
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2017, 08:37:29 am »
Not only has this been an interesting and (dare one say it) amusing thread but I have been introduced to a band I'd never heard of before - always a bonus.

I love Kate's voice and owe you a debt of gratitude for making me aware of her.
Guitars - Gretsch 5120, Ovation Celebrity, Revelation RJT60Q.
Pedals - TC Polytune 2, Mooer BluesCrab, Boss CE5 Chorus, Boss RC3 Looper, TC Flashback 2
Amplifiers - Fender Super Champ 25 SE, Laney A Fresco, Marshall G30R CD,

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2017, 11:22:39 pm »
So This is Christmas, which makes it a HO! HO! HO! with a HOBNER Time Of Year !      (live, unplugged!, and acapella !)

This is what it's all about !  Find a sh1t guitar (I didn't with the Export Quality Hobner obviously !) (tick), find some very good friends (tick), add a sh1t load of Thatchers Cheddar Valley Cider (very BIG tick) and see what transpires...............

Shakin Stevens doesn't really have much to worry about here. It all goes completely tits up and then........we think we've recovered...........but that mandolin solo just isn't going to happen.......tits up again, Nick goes for grabbing more cider mid song, laughs all round and plough on ! The Hobner nails the key change (I wish !) and back to the bar.  Merry Christmas one and all ! Don't get hung up on perfecting every note as sometimes it's much more fun when it all goes a little bit wrong  (well, the audience in the mirror seemed to like it !) ...........So.......Pick up your cardboard Hobner and Rock On !

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C6PZrTBRruux0LbcvIHn_s1sJ1hOkdlA/view?usp=sharing

And have a Happy Hobner New Year !

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:14:18 am by troy »

Get The Forum As A Mobile App