Author Topic: Pimp my Hobner ! All input appreciated !  (Read 3839 times)

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Pimp my Hobner ! All input appreciated !
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 03:48:10 pm »
Thanks JdG it is indeed an AS73G. Ibanez always have such easily memorable names !! I won't go back and edit the post as your correction is spot on.

I posted on another thread about this guitar (I can't remember which one). For the price it was head and shoulders above the Gretsch Streamliner, Epiphones and other semi hollows we tried. A lovely guitar which I enjoy playing a lot and the few extra frets over my AF55 do make a difference. I'd liken it more to a full on electric than the full hollow jazzbox end of the spectrum though. She's delighted with it (and so am I  ;D )
"Oh no, it's not a Hofner, it's a Hobner" . WHAATTT !!!

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 11:10:10 pm »
so............back to the Kate Stables (aka This is The Kit (future wife story)) continued.

The album "Moonshine Freeze" is out soon and I needed to pre-order it to get it on the day of release, a quick Google reveals that I can order it from Rise Records which is at the top of Park Street in Bristol, but what's this on their website.......... pre-order, yes....get it on the day of release, yes.....£10 , yes.......... free wristbands, what ? ......personal apperance, eh ? ...... intimate gig, come again ?

If I'm reading this right and pre-order the album they'll send me two wristbands for an intimate promotional evening in the company of Kate Stables, aka This Is The Kit !. Result ! And indeed, Back of the Net ! Limited spaces......quick !

I couldn't send the £10 soon enough as to me this was a once in a lifetime chance to meet my hero......... The Hofner President.. :).... Sorry Kate, but let's be honest, I'd have sold my own mother into a North Korean work camp to get hold of one by now.

I was probably up to about my 7th bridge on The Ibanez at this point with the elusive Hofner tone seemingly further away than ever.

The CD arrives on the day of release with the two wristbands in the post. I feign an illness, take a sicky from work, and when the wife has left to go to her job I jump up and play the album continually for the next eight hours only returning to bed when I hear her car pull up on the gravel outside  ;D

I'm almost beside myself with Hofner Syndrome and guitar envy.

Hofner President finger picking styleeee...this is just beautiful, played acoustically, the guitar of my dreams sounds great and Kate is looking none to shabby either ....just forward the arty books thing at the beginning as it adds nothing.

And latest release

If you watch these videos through, just be careful ! You too could easily end up with Hofner GAS and I suggest that other GAS sufferers wear a blindfold, not look at your screen and just listen through headphones.

TBC.......

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 09:52:04 am »
Hey there, Troy

Must say this morning was seriously laugh out loud, catching up on the latest episodes.

Before I say anything else, I'd suggest asking a Moderator to move this thread out from DIY to Road Cases.  In that area people post pictures of their gear and some tell their personal story of love and learning guitar ... such as myself.

Tones is such an interesting topic.  I like a quote from Keith Richard's who said "give me any guitar and an amp and I can make it sound pretty much like anything you like". 

May not be absolutely true, but there seems some useful insight in terms of appreciating that there is a whole chain from the guitar, pickups, pedals, amp and finally speaker ... from a technical perspective. 

And then there is how you play.  Even I, as a relative novice player, can change how a note sounds just through playing it differently with my pick.

As for Kate and her tone, which I really love (the tone, don't panic...not going to cut in on the loving of Kate  ;D ), especially the very first song you shared ... since Darrell mentioned the use of palm muting I've been watching closely and think I did see her doing it in a later video.  I though the sound might've been more the use of some delay or something combined with other tone settings.

So to get the sound you're dreaming about may be more than just pimping up the guitar ... some playing technique tweaks plus fine tuning the amp plus effects may get you as close as you'll get.  You could also consult somebody like Kasper, who has posted songs from Metallica, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple and Fleetwood Mac with the ability to replicate the tone pretty much flawlessly to my ears.

But I am becoming far too serious here ... much more interested in the next episode from Troy's World ...

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • What next???
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 10:36:20 am »
Looking at that last video and seeing the other guitarist with a Fender Jazzmaster it looks like Kate has the same P90 as the Jazzmaster which would explain the sound.
Usually that guitar if fitted with a pickup it was a humbucker which would give a warmer fuller tone, the P90 is essentially a high gain single coil so it will be spikey and dirty by comparison.
Having fun learning Guitar and Ukulele, what more could you want?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • What next???

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 12:19:53 pm »
Ha DarrellW ! You really need to step away from the internet now !

When you start searching Hofner Presidents you're playing with fire my friend !

If this thread isn't a big enough warning I don't know what is.

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 02:48:34 pm »
...............The big day has arrived...........

In this post I'm going to have to give you the big reveal as one of you guys is going to twig this really soon I reckon.  And trust me it's a biggy. A real scandal up there with Watergate and Profumo where a pleasant evening takes a sudden dark twist into discussion of criminality, theft and a murky underworld with the only people party to the conversation being myself and Kate Stables out of This is The Kit (and my daughter as key witness).

The day starts warm and pleasant, I still had Hofners Syndrome but hadn't bought a bridge for several weeks, my wife and I were back on speaking terms, and things were looking up. July 12th 2017, a day forever etched on my memory. The new album "Moonshine Freeze" has been picking up rave 5* reviews in the music press and the record store promotional campaign seems to have been going well. Now, It's hard to say what configuration of "This is The Kit" is going to turn up at any given event as it is essentially a loose collective of musicians built up around the "talent", (and I mean that in both senses of the word !) Kate Stables. The previous day a youtuber had uploaded their phone camera video of the previous nights record store performance in Brighton. 

So, i'm expecting to see Kate, Rozi on bass, some other guitar guy and The Kate Stables Hofner, as in said video....Kate performs "Moonshine Freeze" stood on a table....

It was late in the afternoon as me and my daughter got to Bristol and as Rise Records was at the top of Park Street in the trendy Clifton area of Bristol, parking was going to be at a premium. We decided to park some distance away, walk to Rise Records to suss out the location and then go and find something to eat. As it happened, we walked to Rise Records stuck our heads around the door and didn't see a record ! It turns out to be one of these sort of uber cool hangouts with a cafe downstairs, records, vintage clothing (or tat I would call it) upstairs. 

As can be seen from the "my gig" video earlier in this thread, I am more of an age where a natty tweed waistcoat is the norm before retiring to the drawing room with a fine claret in a velveteen smoking jacket kind of guy. Rise Records is therefore not my usual type of haunt surrounded by youths that should probably have a job.

It's quite quiet downstairs as we were early and the bottom part of the room has been closed off for the performance, the front cafe part is still open so we decide to pull up a few barstools and eat in. It's quite interesting really as we can just about make out the stage from where we are sat and it looks like we are getting the full compliment of "This Is The Kit" judging by the amount of stuff on stage. This was a nice surprise but not unexpected as they are usually based in Bristol when not out touring.

Time marches on and the youths seem to be drifting off back into the evening, no doubt off to plan what particular crimes they are going to commit that night. A desk is placed right next to where we are sat. We're at the front of the queue ! which rapidly builds with a much more select type of clientele (thank god) . Many middle aged men are seen. I don't understand why though.  :)

The room is quite dark with only the stage lit. I say stage but it's just a raised platform and 1ft at most. When we are let through my daughter and I amble coolly to the very front of the raised platform, i'd wanted to run, shrieking like a girl towards the stage of course but as I'm with my daughter it would have been a bit unseemly and embarrassing ! I was going to have to play this cool. The room is quite narrow and there are about 120-150 punters so I'm glad we got there early now, people at the back wouldn't be seeing much with that low stage. And then................

......... There it Was. My Holy Grail of guitars......The Kate Stables Hofner President in all it's glory . Looking back I picture it in my mind like an angel with a glowing halo surrounding it. Iridescent in a green sunburst finish calling me. My daughter couldn't see what the fuss was about.

And...........then suddenly.......

......... There SHE was. Kate Stables in all her glory. Looking back I picture it in my mind like an angel with a glowing halo surrounding her . Iridescent in a red top and black leggings calling me. She didn't have a sunburst finish. My daughter couldn't see what the fuss was about.

We had expertly positioned ourselves to the left of stage where Kate can be usually found so had ringside seats for the next 40 minutes or so basking in the full compliment of This Is The Kit. They really are terrific live ! I didn't know what to look at most...... Kate, Hofner, Hofner, Kate, Kate, Kate, Hofner for the full set, the others didn't get a look in. I did make a mental note of the amp she was using as I'd definitely be having to buy one of those the next day. An old solid state WEM by the looks of it. Ebay here we come.

And then it was all over in a blur.   :(    The applause had died and the band were starting to pack up, the crowd were chatting amongst themselves. Kate Stables walked to the back of the stage and put The Kate Stables Hofner safely back on the rack. I was stood near the front of the stage and then she turns and walks directly back towards me, she's now stood right next to me !, my heart rate doubles, play it cool, you're with your daughter, don't make a bell end of yourself.......it was now or never.... 

"Hi Kate, great show" Not the greatest opening gambit I admit but she turns around and says hello . Sh1t I'm now in conversation with Kate Stables out of This is The Kit. Now what ?  Perhaps I can impress by telling her about the number of bridges I have. I'm tongue tied.

Think, THINK ! Got it ! The Hofner, why didn't I think of this sooner, something we have in common.

"Kate, Nice guitar" again, as conversations go I wished the floor would open up there and then.

"How did you come by a green Hofner President ?" I ask. This throwaway line dropped in polite conversation is where the bombshell is truly dropped..........

" Oh, it's not a Hofner it's a Hobner, my dad bought it for me at a flea market "

"WHAAAATTT !!!!!!

Things had got confusing here. The conversation had turned to the very dodgy world of the lawsuit guitar !! We therefore had to conduct our conversation under hushed tones in case the European Court of Human Rights (or whoever) had the place bugged and we'd be instantly arrested and sent to a gulag somewhere.

We then went onto having a very pleasant chat about Givsons, Fendar Stelecasters, Yemahas and Ibanexes. A very pleasant lady indeed (and a bit of posh totty to boot). And then she was gone, off to do signings. I'd have to email her later about our impending marriage.

A Hobner ! I ask you ! After all that. I did think it a little strange that I'd never seen a picture of another green one !

A double edged sword though. My Hofners Syndrome had gone. That was good.

I now had Hobners Syndrome !

TBC.......
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:15:20 pm by troy »

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • What next???
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 04:31:25 pm »
OK so how about this:
http://www.quikr.com/home-lifestyle/hobner-president-semi-acoustic-electric-guitar+huglichuchura+W0QQAdIdZ296810609
Works out to about £50, absolutely PMSL.........
Thing is though it's an individual sound, which is the main thing......... It's so easy to be sucked in to expensive gear - expensive doesn't mean the best!!!
Individualism can be at any price, perhaps in this particular context a mega expensive guitar wouldn't give the right sound, now knowing its heritage I can understand how it sounds!!!
If you stuck a P90 on a chunk of plank you may get something nearer what you want than on a decent guitar ;)

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 06:22:31 pm »
Absolutely correct DarrellW !

They say never meet your hero's and I'd just met mine. The very reason I'd picked up a guitar in the first place was the sound of that very guitar I'd first heard on the radio just 16 months previously.

Was I disappointed that it was a Hobner and not a Hofner ? Not a bit of it. The hunt was on ! And this was going to be much more within my price range !

A quick Google revealed that Hobners, or more specifically, the Hobner 265 are made in India but other information is pretty thin on the ground . New they can be bought for about 7500 rupees or about £80. Second hand there are always 100's of the buggers here https://www.olx.in/all-results/q-hobner-guitar/  prices from £15

Come on, an archtop for £15 ! A Hofner President copy, yes. But a guitar in it's own right. Someone must want to sell me one somewhere.  I'd worked out by now that Kate Stables out of This is The Kit had made a half decent fist of a musical career with a car boot guitar and a 6 watt solid state WEM amp that would not have looked out of place in a skip !.

I'd spent more than that on just bridges !

The problem became apparent quickly though. Trawling Indian Ebay equivalents there are hundreds of these out there but you can't get in contact with sellers if you're in the UK. I'd tracked down Hobners Musik in Kolkata (That's Calcutta to you and me) and sent a speculative email but got no reply and a few others didn't reply either.

I'm also not sure of the legalities here either. The clues were all in the videos posted. The carefully changed Hofner to Hobner decal, the odd colour, it had been staring me in the face all along. Would customs let one through ? Would the Germans send over a few Heinkels to shoot up the factory. I honestly don't know.

It got even more confusing when the word HobMer turns up in a search as this hilarious thread on an indian guitar board is testament to  https://www.indianguitartabs.com/chords/threads/difference-between-hobner-265-and-hobmer-265.17101/

So the HobMer is a copy of a copy of a Hofner and the Hobner is the original brand in their eyes. Just plain weird. Anyway, what I can make of it is that Hobner became HobMer after about 2005. Perhaps there was a lawsuit ! LOL.

Getting one from India was proving very problematic. There must be others in the UK I was thinking as proved by Kate Stables, but where ? My shop of choice, Ebay came up with nothing so all I could do was put an email alert on there and hope for the best.

A few weeks later I get an alert and the bidding is on !! A black 265. Not my colour of choice, but hey, it's the sound I've been looking for all this time. Start price £30, I'd set my automatic bidding limit to £2000. There was no way this was getting away from me. The bidding races upwards rapidly to the giddy heights of £38 and it's mine !

Original listing here.....  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Hobner-Acoustic-Guitar-/112499349102?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=fXS%252F75GW6W668AHiSf86KIJWw%252B4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It's sat at my feet as I type this and it makes me really happy ! I can't look at it without it raising a smile. It's been a long road with a fair few twists in it, but I have finally reached my goal. The fact it cost me £38 is totally irrelevant. It is a fact that what got me into guitar playing in the first place was hearing the tone of it for the first time on the radio all those months ago. The thought that it was out of reach on my budget. The thought that it WAS within my budget after all. Kate Stables. A chain of events that takes you on a journey which has been frustrating at times but still fun. The guitar means more to me than The Ibanez by a country mile just because of the whole back story that i wasn't going to tell you about but seem to have done anyway !

Some people aspire to fancy Gibsons and Fenders and there is nothing wrong with that, more money doesn't necessarily mean more satisfaction though. I can assure you. i'm very satisfied. The GAS has gone.

I've attained my holy grail.   A Hobner 265 !

I'll tell you what's it's like next if anyone is the slightest bit interested ?

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • What next???
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 07:15:31 pm »
Come on, the suspense is killing me!!!
I'm a bit that way myself, if you look in my signature I have a Japanese made (in 1970) Tenada classical I found in a junk shop for £20 that after some new strings and a bit of TLC is lovely and my Vintage V6 (Strat type) absolutely mint cost me £100 (300ish retail) - the bloke had been using his partners plastic and needed the money fast ;)
I'm always on the lookout, I have a garage full of bargains :)

Offline close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 367
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 08:03:22 pm »
Great story.

Better suited to Roadcases section so allow me to move it there for you.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 98
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 08:20:06 pm »
Love your story, Troy. There definately is plenty of material in there for a song or two!

I very much agree with you on the low cost guitars even though my own are from "recognized brands".
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 93
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 08:32:26 pm »
Troy,

Don't just tell us ... show us. Play us a song on that Hobner ... what better way to end this chapter of the tale.

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 62
  • What next???
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 11:54:19 am »
I remember the 6W WEM amp both in its Valve driven variant and the Solid state; I had its bigger cousin the Westminster - now that was lovely!!! - like this one:
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/watkins/westminster/west15.html
Here you go, a bit of info on the 5W:
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/watkins/clubman.html

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 02:17:36 am »
Kate Stables out of This is The Kit (reluctant future wife I'm now realising) sets her WEM Clubman amp to the max here !

Just the beginning bit.  "I'll turn it up to three !"  .  Three on a 6 watt amp !! FFS !
What's that ? 1.5 watts ?  I've got a 100 watt Fender so surely I'm a 100 times better ! I wish.

Updates on the Hobner coming soon.......

Get The Forum As A Mobile App