Author Topic: DanniTS13's Road Case  (Read 759 times)

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
DanniTS13's Road Case
« on: November 13, 2018, 02:51:04 am »
Let me take you on a mystical journey through the many musical phases of DanniTS13  ;D

I have always been a music lover.

I was born in 1979 so I am a child of the 80s. My first musical love was Michael Jackson. So much in fact that when we got our first dog, I wanted to call him Thriller  :D ;D (I was 4 years old at the time). My mum compromised and we called him Jackson. I used to love Cyndi Lauper, The Bangles, Culture Club, Bon Jovi, to name a few. My mum was into Billy Idol so I remember a lot of that being played at our house!

I had a HUGE New Kids on the Block phase lol. It was my very first concert that I went to with my mum!

Though my teenage years I got really into alternative rock/grunge and used to go to a lot of underage live bands. I was into really Nirvana, Blink 182, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Weezer, and it appealed to my teenage angst years.

In the early 2000s I got into the dance rave music scene, and by dance music I'm taking like really underground stuff. Hard House. I moved to London and went clubbing every weekend. I then became a Hard House DJ with a few residencies at small club nights around London, also playing house music. The best gig I played was on a riverboat dance party down the Thames, and the boat was so big they had to open Tower Bridge for us to get through!  I also love all the big electronic music producers: Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Royskopp etc.

I moved back to Australia, and what can I say I had a bit of a renaissance period where I went back in time to the 50s-70s and revisited all classics. I have such a love for that early period of rock. The Beatles, the Doors, Rolling Stones, Everly Brothers, Elvis, The Mammas and the Pappas. I love it all!

So how did I get into guitar? Well its a funny story.

See, I used to beat everyone all the time on Guitar Hero so my hubby brought me a Yamaha Pacifica for Christmas one year lol!!!

I had regular lessons for about a year but never really got it. I had other commitments/hobbies and was studying so I couldn't really concentrate on it. Then I had a few babies, more study so the guitar went away.

I started researching and realised that I really should have been playing a left handed guitar. I always struggled with the rhythm part on the Yamaha so I sold my gear and got my LH GS Mini.

Now my kids are a little older, I really needed something for me again.

I heard a song on the radio, and said to myself: "I want to learn that song and play an acoustic version of it".

So that was it. I picked up my guitar and have been playing everyday since. Inspired. Motivated. Loving every minute!!!

So I guess as a conclusion, all I can say is that I love pretty much all music. Except for the crap out today haha!

Hope you enjoyed reading this :-)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:11:55 am by DanniTSI3 »
My guitar collection (so far):
LH Taylor GS Mini
LH Fender Squier Stratocaster (60s vibe)
VOX Pathfinder Amp
Pedals: Boss Super Chorus CH-1

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
Re: DanniTS13's Road Case
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 03:26:39 am »
I did enjoy reading this! It was indeed funny how you got your guitar, but what matters is that you still have it (whether it's the same guitar or not) and decided to start playing it! :) Your guitar journey is on its wheels and moving now! And it has set its course on the guiding rails of this community. I'm sure you're going to learn heaps here! Look forward to seeing how you progress! :)

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:21:48 am »
I did enjoy reading this! It was indeed funny how you got your guitar, but what matters is that you still have it (whether it's the same guitar or not) and decided to start playing it! :) Your guitar journey is on its wheels and moving now! And it has set its course on the guiding rails of this community. I'm sure you're going to learn heaps here! Look forward to seeing how you progress! :)
Thanks Bala! Now I don't have competing commitments like study and other hobbies I'm feeling so much more motivated as I can give it the time it needs to actually progress.

My hubby was asking me for years when I was going to play it but I couldn't commit until now.

Finding Justin's course has made it so easy for me as I can learn in the comfort of my own living room. Best format ever!

Sent from my [device_name] using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 90
  • What was I doing?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 10:50:47 am »
You’re definitely in the right place to achieve your dreams, all it takes is patience, persistence and diligence thrown in with a stubborn streak to go forward!
Take your time, enjoy your journey along the way and learn plenty of songs plus post your efforts for others to give you honest critique and encouragement to help your progress.
Do all of this and you will achieve your wildest dreams, good luck and I hope that you achieve your desires 👍👍👍
My singing sucks so I’m learning Guitar and Ukulele, it’s fun 🌟

Offline Balamuthiah

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 49
  • Keep that one and mark it "Fab"! -Paul McCartney
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 12:27:23 pm »
Thanks Bala! Now I don't have competing commitments like study and other hobbies I'm feeling so much more motivated as I can give it the time it needs to actually progress.

My hubby was asking me for years when I was going to play it but I couldn't commit until now.

Finding Justin's course has made it so easy for me as I can learn in the comfort of my own living room. Best format ever!

I understand how difficult it can be to have such a commitment in the middle of studies and personal life. But Justin guitar is a true gift for guitarists. We’re in a very good era for these reasons. Imagine having to travel far on a bus to learn B7 like the Beatles or learning to play guitar in a graveyard at night like Robert Johnson or traveling across country for juke joints to play in to be heard like most bluesmen and women! And by the way have you played your hubby his favorite tune yet? :)

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
  • You're always learning about guitars-Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 12:51:58 pm »
Loved the story and now understand why you looked so chilled playing Mad World ... you're already a veteran performer :)

Look forward to sharing your experience travelling along the guitarist's never-ending road to greater mastery, music and good times

Offline hilts17

• Arena Rocker
  • Good Vibes 48
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 01:36:53 pm »
Danni, I enjoyed reading your story. We have liked a lot of the same music over time (except I never was into dance rave music). I'm 20 years older but I really got into The Smashing Pumpkins, Blink-182 and Nirvana. I even saw the Pumpkins live a few months ago.

But my all-time favourite music comes from the 60's. Especially The Doors. I have a huge collection of Doors stuff. Beatles, Stones, Everly Brothers....great stuff right there. I saw the Everlys 4 times in concert.

Anyway, great to have you here. Enjoy yourself and I look forward to more videos from you.
Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112

Offline jpcharron

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 01:39:07 pm »
Thanks for your testimony, I enjoyed reading your story. It makes us feel more human, less digital... Similar background for me, except for the DJing phase. One question: what was the song on the radio? To me it was Hey there Delilah. :-)

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 10:40:28 am »
Don't you forget about me by simple kinds. It's an 80s synth pop song but I love it as an acoustic guitar version!

LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 04:15:56 am »
Well progress has been SLOW over Christmas and New Years.

Not to mention my run in with the kitchen knife and my little pinky on my fretting hand being glued back together.

What did I do to feel better? Well I gave into GAS. Not the tooting type. Well actually it wasn't even me.... is it weird that my hubby got a case of the GAS on my behalf?

He went out and brought me a Boss Super Chorus pedal haha. Yep. He's a keeper.

So now I'm trying to learn the TAB for Come as You Are by Nirvana because it so has that Super Chorus effect over the lead/bass I'm sure.

I also watched Justin's video on setting goals for 2019. So.... here are the goals I've set:

Short term: Keep to my practice schedule 5 days a week.
Mid Term: Have 8-10 songs PERFECTED by 30 June 2019.
Mid/Long Term: Play Walk the Line with the train strumming technique so that I can play it for my grandad for his birthday by 25 September 2019.
Long Term: Finish the beginners course by 31 December 2019.

Keep rocking!

Soooooo.... lets get cracking.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:17:52 am by DanniTSI3 »
LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Online batwoman

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 96
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 05:03:36 am »
Your goals sound good Danni. I got a lot out of Justin's video, so much so that I've re-written my goals. Your hubby sure is a keeper. Hope your finger is healing.

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 07:31:42 am »
A fine update, Danni.

Enjoy the pedal :)

Your goals sound good.

Now given that you have adopted the approach of specific, time-targeted goals, if I may, I have a couple of questions, that may be food for thought or fine to be discarded.

For the Mid-term goal you are aiming to have songs "perfected" ... how will you assess as to whether a song has been perfected, as far as you are concerned. It is generally accepted that setting down the criteria when setting goals this way is beneficial.

For the long-term goal, have you broken down what is required to be done to achieve that?  That is useful in that it can give you a sense that what you have set as the goal is realistic.  It also sets you up to be able to measure progress and have that sense of achievement as you complete each step along the way. 

I wish you the best working towards your goals and loads of fun as you do so.

Offline DanniTSI3

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 8
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 10:52:31 pm »

For the Mid-term goal you are aiming to have songs "perfected" ... how will you assess as to whether a song has been perfected, as far as you are concerned. It is generally accepted that setting down the criteria when setting goals this way is beneficial.

For the long-term goal, have you broken down what is required to be done to achieve that?  That is useful in that it can give you a sense that what you have set as the goal is realistic.  It also sets you up to be able to measure progress and have that sense of achievement as you complete each step along the way. 

I wish you the best working towards your goals and loads of fun as you do so.

Ok so for me, perfected means being able to play the whole song through, with no major errors, keeping good time, with a basic strum pattern (either 4 down strums or another strum pattern), and singing. Nothing fancy, with the same pattern all the way through.

As to the long term goal, I figure I'm at stage 4. There's another 5 stages to go. I've had a peek at stage 5 and I've already touched on those 7th chords with a few songs I've got in my kit. I figure I've got 3months I can allocate to each stage, give or take, depending on progress. I think its doable. I am not including consolidation of the beginners skills as part of this timetable. I'm thinking consolidation will be a task for 2020.

Thanks for getting me to "hone" my goals a little further David P.

I think another thing I will do is pick the 8-10 songs I want to "perfect" now, so that I don't go off the track starting new songs and losing my way :-)
LH Taylor GS Mini
VOX Pathfinder Amp

Offline Wi11

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 08:36:13 pm »
Great story, Danni. I'm sure you've already saw it on the forums or on the internet, but if you like Guitar Hero I bet you'd love Rocksmith. It's pretty much Guitar Hero with a real guitar!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 214
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 06:12:22 am »
Ok so for me, perfected means being able to play the whole song through, with no major errors, keeping good time, with a basic strum pattern (either 4 down strums or another strum pattern), and singing. Nothing fancy, with the same pattern all the way through.

As to the long term goal, I figure I'm at stage 4. There's another 5 stages to go. I've had a peek at stage 5 and I've already touched on those 7th chords with a few songs I've got in my kit. I figure I've got 3months I can allocate to each stage, give or take, depending on progress. I think its doable. I am not including consolidation of the beginners skills as part of this timetable. I'm thinking consolidation will be a task for 2020.

Thanks for getting me to "hone" my goals a little further David P.

I think another thing I will do is pick the 8-10 songs I want to "perfect" now, so that I don't go off the track starting new songs and losing my way :-)

My pleasure, Danni, and all sounds good.  Your definition of "perfected" sounds good.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App