Author Topic: Pimp my Hobner ! All input appreciated !  (Read 1999 times)

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Pimp my Hobner ! All input appreciated !
« on: September 01, 2017, 11:50:17 pm »
  I thought I'd start a little thread on my new (to me) acquisition. A Hobner 265 Archtop (no, not a spelling mistake, more on that later). I'll explain a little later on the whys and wherefores of this particular guitar as  it's quite a long winded story, but for the time being I'll just try and post a picture. So, basically this first post is about me trying to get a picture posted properly !  Once I'm happy that I can format this properly I'll get into the nitty gritty.  I promise, this will develop into a DIY modification type thread eventually but I wanted to give the whole back story so you have an idea where I'm coming from.

Right. I think I've got that sorted. If you click on thumbnails it'll take you to a larger image and if you then click on that it'll fill your screen !
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:24:18 am by troy »
"Oh no, it's not a Hofner, it's a Hobner" . WHAATTT !!!

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
Re: Pimp my Hobner ! All input appreciated !
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 12:43:35 am »
If someone could confirm that the thumbnails work properly that would be good. Later on I'll be getting into some close up detail and if the pictures are rubbish it'll make it a whole lot harder !

So, a bit of background. I'm 51 now but my father bought me a guitar when I was about 15ish I suppose, an Ibanez something or other which was really heavy I seem to remember, but back then we couldn't afford lessons and the internet was just but a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee's eyes. Inevitably, trying to learn from just a book is just not going to work so it was all quickly forgotten and life moved on.

Fast forward 30 odd years later and I'm now a few months shy of being 50, not picked up a guitar since, and I hear this on Radio 6......... From the album Bashed Out by This Is The Kit

Magic Spell by This Is The Kit. I didn't know anything at the time but just remember hearing the sound of the rhythm guitar on the radio and thinking it sounded awesome !  That moment switched on a lightbulb and the guitar itch began.......

I promise, I will get to the point of my thread shortly !

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 01:00:42 am »
 So after hearing the track on BBC Radio 6 I have a search on Youtube and find the above video which is obviously a stripped back live performance and think the guitar sounds even MORE awesome. Clean but with a real bit of low end dirtyness and growl.

My interest in the whole guitar world is now piqued and I spend hours and hours on guitar sites like this reading and learning, all started by a track on 6 Music ! Time to buy a guitar !

TBC.........

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 02:01:49 am »
Bum. Big Time. That's a Hofner President she's playing. German, vintage, archtop...........a quick Google determines that is going to be totally out of my price range ! £££££££

A lovely guitar you will agree, but well beyond my finances so I buy this.....

An Ibanez AF55. Maple Archtop.

TBC............

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 06:30:03 am »
Good choice with the Ibanez, they are very nice especially for what they cost!
Yes your thumbnails are good, c'mon get to the point the suspense is killing me ;)
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’
My bank account and Plastic live in fear!!!

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 06:58:11 am »
Great song, Troy, loved that guitar.

Once you start talking tone, you'll really get this Community talking  ;)

As Darrell says...c'mon, get on with the story.....

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 10:04:49 am »
Thanks for confirmation on the thumnails ! And I will, indeed, "get on with it" !

I thought I'd spend a bit of time explaining this convoluted back story as this boards hardly busy and it would be quite a quiet corner of the internet to hide it really.  ;)

So....... The Ibanez AF55, or  AF55-tf,  to give it it's proper name was duly purchased in Feb 2016, the "tf" relates to the finish "tobacco flat" which is what it says on the tin "flat", no glassy shine here ! And the learning to play it begins in earnest. Probably, like a lot of people, you think you're too old, and at 49 I thought the same thing, but I was quite surprised at how quickly I came along with the help of this site in particular.

What I wasn't prepared for was the way this whole guitar thing gets under your skin. I'd purchased the cheapest archtop I could find (£230?), I found it really nice to play, plugged in when the wife was out  ;), and unplugged when the wife was in  :(. The real advantage of archtops I believe and the best of both worlds.  It was also very pretty to look at and hangs on the wall in pride of place.

Then it started, the tinkering !  I wanted that Hofner President sound ! So, as you may have noticed, the Ibanez looks a little different from the catalogue as I started out the tinkering (slowly at first) with a change of bridge, accelerating rapidly to frenetic tinkering with a new Harp tailpiece, different pickups, flatwound strings, locking tuners, and for a bit of bling, chrome knobs and ivory pickup rings. My wife is going mad as seemingly a new package from ebay arrives daily. There is no such thing as having too many bridges, I now have about 5 I think !

Then the amps start arriving. A Yamaha THR5, a Fender Mustang 3 and a Dean Markly DMC 40  (not in this pic)

TBC.............

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 10:42:00 am »
With all the technology of the modelling Yamaha THR and Mustang 3 I'm getting really close to the Hofner sound now !

As an aside, that Ibanez is simply brilliant. It's so cheap you can mess about with it to your hearts content and not worry about at all and I've derived so much pleasure from the experimentation. Just by swapping the bridges around from bone, to wood, to the original tune-o-matic makes such a difference to the sound unplugged and can be done in minutes. Round wound strings, half round, flat wound, I think I've tried them all in every possible configuration with every different bridge !  Ebay is in love with me, my wife is not !

Fast forward a few months, the learning is going well, the GAS is not though. I've also got Hofners Syndrome affecting me and I've had the "no more amps" warning from the wife. Nobody warns you it's going to be like this when you decide to learn a few chords so you can have a sing song around the campfire do they ?

A new year dawns, 2017, and I'm in a band ! Hard to believe I know.

I use the word "band" loosely. It's a loose gathering of the untalented basically who had to fill a few minutes at my mate Jonathans 50th birthday party.

The squeamish should look away now.....  It was recorded for posterity ! My mate Jonathan is the tall bloke singing and guitar, his son is on drums, my mate Nick starts off on bass but does a bit of singing later, The local vet is hidden in the dark on mandolin ( right up there with fingernails and blackboards in my book) and I'm nearest the camera with my head cut off, starting with the Ibanez on the first song and playing bass for the last three.  I forgot to tell you that I'd also bought a bass and should have mentioned it earlier. I probably tried to erase it from memory as the wife was near apoplectic.

Anyway, you've been warned. Covers of New Model Army, The Vaccines, The Band and The Waterboys are not my choice and bear in mind I'd only been learning and playing guitar (and now bass) for about a year.

As they say on Masterchef. ENJOY !

TBC....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:25:49 pm by troy »

Offline DavidP

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 61
  • You're always learning about guitars,Keef Richards
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 11:22:56 am »
Hey Troy, loving this story.

As is so often the case, your build up or should I say build down into the video was overstated ... or maybe I am just the opposite end of "squeamish".  I saw 5 blokes having a lot of fun and making some reasonable music. 

It would've been nice if the camera man had moved over to the vet's side of the stage and filmed from that angle ... I think it is more enjoyable to see the guitars from that side to watch the hands and fingers at play.

I also assume there was no sound man employed for this performance to tweak the various levels.  But still what I heard sounded OK. 

Maybe down the line in my future such a fun moment may present itself ...

Keep on rocking and (of course) looking forward to the next episode  :)

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 01:00:49 pm »
Thank you David for your kind words !  I'm writing this more for my own amusement really but anyone is welcome along the journey. Hopefully (and quite desperately) i'm trying to turn this thread round to Hofner Presidents, I'll get there soon.

The "gig" was indeed a great deal of fun and when you get to my age you lose a lot of the self consciousness of youth. I laughed out loud about your camera man comment, the "camera" man you refer to was, in fact, The Vet on Mandolin. I think he set it on a tripod so it would get a good angle on him but little did he know how badly lit he was !! Karma my friend, Karma !  Sound levels were easy, turn everything up to 11.  My Ibanez was plugged into my Mustang 3 (100 Watts). My recently acquired Yamaha Bass was into the Dean Markly (40 watts) Jonathan was into a 10 watt Peavey so the balance was just about perfect in my book !  Who cares, it was a laugh.

Here is the Dean Markley DMC 40 and the Yamaha Bass for posterity

So...... a quick precis......

1. Equipment.  From ground zero in Feb 2016 never having really played a note I now had.....The Ibanez, The Yamaha THR5 amp, The Fender Mustang 3 amp, A Yamaha Bass (pre-loved as they say), A mid nineties Dean Markley amp which I was quite happy to blow the cones out of with the bass, 5 Bridges, and a sh1tload of picks, spares, cables and other paraphernalia.

2. I was addicted to Ebay

3. I was in love with Kate Stables from This Is The Kit (see earlier Youtube vid). I was in love with her Hofner President more. I had the Bashed Out album on constant loop in the house.

4. I was in a band

5. My marriage was in trouble  :)

It gets worse.

6. Unknowingly I had now infected my daughter with the GAS

TBC.......And onto Hofners (soon)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 01:01:22 pm »
The obvious thing is that you're all having fun!!!!
Don't give up your daytime jobs just yet but I think you all did great!!!
Too much to list now, I have a bad case of GAS, UAS, and general ‘must have syndrome’

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 44
  • What next???
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 01:11:25 pm »
The Kate Stables Hofner looks like it just has a P90 in the neck position and in the rhythm it sounds like she's palm muting, and yes she is quite striking, and very talented ;)

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 02:21:25 pm »
Ah, The Kate Stables Hofner.........  I'm saving that one.... for now !

I'll just very quickly embellish point 6 above. The cross contamination of my daughter with the GAS.

She's 15 and took a shine to my Ibanez as soon as it arrived so without going mad another guitar entered the house......tin hat time with the wife (again).

One of these.........

A Squier (let's not forget "By Fender") Bought from Argos as a kit with the bag, tuner, stand etc for about £70 ish ? You know what it's like with kids, everything is a complete flash in the pan and a one minute wonder. I'm not going to be shelling out serious money for something that's going to sit under the bed and, what's more, I had my own problems with the GAS to trouble me and my wallet.

My now calculating mind was also thinking if I can get my daughter "on board" so to speak then I can push some of my wifes (now extreme) anger onto her. How devious am I ?  ;D

Well, it kind of worked. She plonked away on The Squier and was now even having "proper" guitar lessons ! As you can probably tell from the above "gig" video, I have never darkened the door of a proper musician, how pathetic that would be, I know best and can get by with internet tutorials. I am an ace guitarist !  "Proper" lessons are for wimps.

After a few short months she is now playing the Squier like a bloody Stradavarius, riffing solos, sliding barre chords up and down and being really annoying. £12 for a half hour lesson ? Daylight robbery if you ask me. I could buy another bridge for that sort of money and be equally as good. Couldn't I ?  I very optimistically think that the jury is still out on the lessons/even more equipment conundrum.

Anyway, this little story came back to seriously bite me in the ass as is usually the way. "Dad" she says one morning in that kind of pleading manner, "What" I bark waking me momentarily from my Hofners Syndrome, which had been getting considerably worse. " It's my birthday soon, can I get an electric guitar ?" Aha... I see another guitar coming...... not being bought for me though....... for my daughter........ what can possibly go wrong. As Hannibal from The A Team would say, I love it when a plan comes together !  "Ask your mother !" I replied knowing what the answer would be .Hahahahaha

Begrudgingly, as she loves her daughter, she has to agree, again, more internal hahaha from me as I am now legally allowed to go out to a proper guitar shop without the guilt ! I don't think this has ever happened before and the feeling is a bit unsettling.

I'm in heaven at the PMT guitar shop in Bristol with my daughter. We spend a fair few hours in there trying out Epiphones, Gretsch, Fenders etc. No Hofners though so I shed a small tear over that. THE standout guitar however was the Ibanez AS73-BLK, and I promise you, this was definitely her decision.

She wanted a semi hollow and there was no point in buying another full hollow so this now entered the house.....

No tin hat needed. Up yours darling !

Although this little outing did cost me just a little shy of £500 with a hard case my daughter contributed £200 to this as I had to be sure she would be committed. Ass slightly bitten therefore but I love my daughter and she's worth it. It was probably worth the £150 an hour it cost me to go into the guitar shop and look around guilt free.

Surely we have to be talking half a ropey Hofner President for that kind of money ?

TBC............
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:35:27 pm by troy »

Offline troy

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 02:47:59 pm »
The Kate Stables (aka This Is The Kit)Story

In which I meet my future wife after having buried my present one under the patio of course (in my dreams).

Fast forward to June 2017 and I have use of 4 guitars, 3 amplifiers, tons of bits and pieces, all of which, with the greatest will in the world, cannot replicate the sound and tone of a Hofner President. I can get close but no cigar and I'm still in the band. Yay ! I think it is because the other members cannot find anyone with as equally little talent as themselves.

Good News Arrives !! Kate Stables (future wife), aka This Is The Kit are releasing a new album "Moonshine Freeze". Guy Garvey on BBC radio 6 has been singing her praises for years and the single "Moonshine Freeze" gets onto the Radio 6 playlist and is on constant rotation setting off my Hofners Syndrome again but now to a much higher level (extreme) !

More lovely arty Hofnerness.

I have to get this album and I want it immediately on the day of the release. Now, I don't normally do this as I usually get it off The Pirate Bay like everyone else, and is a strange one for me, actually paying for a CD. ..... this sets off a chain of events and it's fate !

TBC..........
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:52:22 pm by troy »

Offline JdG

• Good Vibes 1
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 03:28:42 pm »
That is a AS73G, not a AS73. They sell for around £420. If you got it and a hard case for under 500 quid it was a bargain ;)
Formerly joueur de guitare, apparently password recovery emails don't get sent  :)

Get The Forum As A Mobile App