Author Topic: Affinity telecaster?  (Read 1046 times)

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
Affinity telecaster?
« on: August 28, 2017, 06:10:06 pm »
Ok so I have a bit of a pickle. I'm looking for a telecaster to go along with my current guitar, which has humbuckers. Unfortunately I'm also married and enjoy staying that way. I can get a good deal on a Squier Affinity Telecaster which won't cost so much that I'm sleeping on the couch or covering the frying pan indent in my head (I exaggerate of course lol). I've checked online and pawn shops for used telecasters but here in Nova Scotia there is nothing to be had. Should I go with the Affinity and mod it down the road or wait? Anybody have experience with these budget teles? Thanks.
Guitars: Ibanez GIO GART60, GWL Acoustic mini jumbo, Squier Affinity Telecaster
Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 15, Orange Micro Crush 3W

Offline JdG

• Good Vibes 1
Re: Affinity telecaster?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:07:48 pm »
If you can wait, then wait but there's nothing wrong with Affinities for their price. Indonesian tend to be better than the Chinese made guitars.

Others will be along shortly tell you different and offer horror stories. :)

Formerly joueur de guitare, apparently password recovery emails don't get sent  :)

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 07:46:29 pm »
They are not too bad, the worst thing is usually the tuners which tend to be a bit mediocre as regards backlash pots aren't the best and the caps are also poor but nothing too expensive.
Pickups are OK but if you must replace then Trev Wilkinson's are decent and not expensive.
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline jono

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 6
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 07:47:23 pm »
I am more in the if you want it now, it won't cause any issues at home and you can upgrade it yourself then why wait camp.
I don't handle delay very well.

Sent from my SM-N910F using JustinGuitar Community mobile app

Offline Johan217

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 26
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 09:18:22 pm »
I think for just a little more $ you could get a Squier Standard Tele, which is generally better quality. Or look for a Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified second hand. The latter 2 should last you a long time without any upgrades.

If shipping costs are prohibitive, the Affinity certainly isn't a bad option as an entry level guitar.
Guitars: Chevy LP-C (1991), Squier VM Jaguar (2015)
Amp: Fender Mustang I v2 (2015)

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 01:07:23 am »
I checked and no standards are in stock anywhere and I don't like buying sight unseen. And I've looked for used CV or vintage modified. Pawn shops, kijiji, etc. No dice. New would be double the cost as the affinity. Used telecasters are rare here in Nova Scotia.

Offline Goranpaa

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 10:43:36 am »
I own a Affinity Tele.

What I like about it:

The neck are very smooth and nice. I have normal sized hands and finger length.

The body. Just try to find one that are made out of as few separate pieces of wood as possible. It's easy to see this on the sunburst versions if you look at the back.

Ok. stuff: The tuners. Not as precise as on the Standard and the other higher end Squires. But you can live with them for a while. Still recommend to replace them when possible?

The bridge. Decent, but it won't hurt to have it replaced for a brass one later on. You will get a better sustain with a more solid bridge.

The pickups. The lipstick, neck pu sound better than the bridge one. I'm going to replace the bridge pu later on. Probably going for a cheaper Alnico IV. This is the pu that sits in the Squire Standard guitars. I like the twangy and brighter sound the Alnico have.

On the Affinity's it's also recommended to replace the potentiometers for bigger and 250K ones.

But still, the Affinity Tele is'nt bad at all. As a starting guitar it's ok. And as a base for modding, it's well worth the price tag. This, providing that you do not invest a lot of money in it. Then you can just as well buy yourself a Standard or a Classic Vibe instead.

If you can consider a Stratocaster model? Look at the Yamaha Pacifica 112V too. It's a very nice one for what you pay. Comes with a humbucker at the bridge and 2 single coils.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:30:52 am by Goranpaa »
Guitars: Squire Standard Stratocaster and Squire Affinity Telecaster. Squire, Vintage Modified Jaguar ( Shortscale ) bass.

Amp. Blackstar ID Core BEAM.

Offline Dan Graves

• All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 160
  • Is on the Outside, looking in
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 07:08:01 pm »
There are far worse things than a Squier Affinity, and provided the guitar itself is in good shape, i don't see why not, though i would suggest you pick it up yourself so you can at least check for major defects.
"So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they are already met?" -- Hobbes
"Right. We should take pride in our mediocrity!" -- Calvin

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 05:41:30 am »
I did just that Dan. Picked up a couple in store and settled on one that felt the best to me. No major defects and the neck was nice and smooth. So far I'm enjoying it and happy with my purchase

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:40 am »
Congrats on the new Telecaster, they are a great versatile instrument, anything from jazz to rock is possible!
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline Joerfe

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 97
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 09:30:59 am »
HNG day!
I love my Tele, and as Darrell writes it does it all. Well, not so great for pop and Motown, I find it too agressive for that. But that only gave me an excuse to get a Strat ;D
/Jesper

Sigma SOMR28H, Fender Classic '50s Tele, Fender Std Stratocaster, Gibson lpj '14, BOSS Katana 100-212 amp.
Me on da Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jesper-j-rgensen-11

Offline MPetten

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 01:33:10 pm »
Yeah I'm really liking it. I'm surprised at the pups. Better than I'd think for a budget guitar. Tuners hold tune nicely and overall it plays well.

Offline Goranpaa

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 11:31:33 am »
Congrats to the new guitar! I'm sure you will be happy with it.
Guitars: Squire Standard Stratocaster and Squire Affinity Telecaster. Squire, Vintage Modified Jaguar ( Shortscale ) bass.

Offline Labora

• Bedroom Rocker
  • Good Vibes 1
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »
I really want one of these, they look like great guitars at a very good price. You can always upgrade the pickups at a later date, but really, it's a terrific guitar for less than £200.

Offline Goranpaa

• School Prom Hero
  • Good Vibes 0
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 09:46:57 am »
Yeah, the Affinity's are hard to beat for that price tag really. And it's a good starting guitar for the beginner too. If you pair it up with a Blackstar ID Core 20 V2 amp combo you have a great practice kit for a very low cost.

Get The Forum As A Mobile App