Author Topic: 001 2019 Hard to Beat  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
Re: 001 2019 Hard to Beat
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 08:31:48 pm »
Danni,
Thanks for listening and the kind words.
Neil

Online close2u

• Administrator
  • All Time Legend
  • Good Vibes 475
  • Teesside, North East England.
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 09:33:06 am »
Another slice of jangly-indie goodness Neil.
How do you manage to keep up such a high and consistent standard of inspirational quality?
Starting with the chorus - way to go!
The soundscape, the vibe, the positivity, the swirling instruments ... good times.
It's a good time sunshine cruising song and so simple, recurring chorus, verse, chorus etc works.
I'm curious as to how it would have sounded if you had crafted a short mid-section with a slight fall in mood, dynamics, tempo maybe (with some accompanying lyrics to reflect a mild side-step) before coming back in with a final flourish of OTT chorus / outro with all guns blazing.

After thinking and writing that last comment I went in search of something to reference what I'm trying to suggest and quickly came up on this:

Now I'm not suggesting you make the instant leap to the incredible songwriting / musicianship / production heights of the genius of Brian Wilson - I mean, apart from a select handful of pop musicians over the last 60 years, who is in that league?

But the idea is there ... a song that bursts in with the sun-drenched energy a euphoric joyful chorus, takes a small pause in a mini-short verse then charges on again ...  only later taking a contemplative step back with a mellow, easy mid-section before ... with a false start bursting along at full stride once more.
And all of this in a little over two minutes. What a genius.

Great work Neil and bravo.
:) :)

ps
hope the forum glitch is sorted

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 07:14:17 pm »
Richard,
Many thanks for taking the time to listen, comment and educate all of us who post here. I appreciate your feedback. My aim at the moment is to distill the basics of writing a song in a style that I like. I'm all about melody and hooks cos they're the features of the music I love to listen to. I'm a big Beachboys fan and I'm familiar with "Wouldn't it be nice" and can see what you're getting at, although the leap to Brian Wilson-like variation and orchestration is way beyond my skill set at the moment :o I'm afraid my methods and capabilities are more artisanal than artistic.....
Cheers
Neil

ps. I'm able to login at the moment via Edge browser - Google Chrome is still being rejected. Weird..

Online CT

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 77
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 05:40:05 pm »
Sounded great! Light and airy, lots of pop goodness. Well constructed and played. Good job!

Offline justinguitar

• Administrator
  • Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 162
    • justinguitar.com
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 12:53:48 pm »
like the feeling of it -

vocal is a little high in the mix for me - great way to get that right is to turn volume of whole track right down and you should hear the vocal clearly but not overwhelmingly!

nice writing - arrangement and chord sequences are really well done - melody strong as are the words - very well done.

nice guitar layering too!

well done man!
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Offline Fourtwo

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 39
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 02:41:36 pm »
Thanks for listening and commenting Justin, apologies for the delayed response - been busy at work. Interesting comment on the vocal. Seems like I've over compensated as I've been criticised in the past for having the vocal too low and deep in the mix! I'll bear in mind your advice re turning the track down and listening.
I hope all's good in Justinland!
Cheers!
Neil

Get The Forum As A Mobile App