Author Topic: Advise on fret hand finger exerciser please.  (Read 209 times)

Offline Fluffy

• Good Vibes 0
Advise on fret hand finger exerciser please.
« on: August 20, 2017, 05:09:05 pm »
Hi all,

I introduced myself in the introduction thread.

Bit of backround, I am over 60 and find I don't have the strength I need. Mild arthritis and generally week finger/hand muscles are my archives heal right now (That and lack of rhythm :'()  )

I have been looking at something like the VARIGRIP Hand and Finger Exerciser.

Any advise would be welcome.

Thank you.
Cheers

The nice thing about Fridays - it's only two more days till Monday. 😂

Offline joueur de guitare

• Concert Hall Hasbeen
  • Good Vibes 12
Re: Advise on fret hand finger exerciser please.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:29:49 pm »
On finger exercisers

By the way, here's my view of finger exercise machines: a waste of time, money and energy. Work the muscles out by playing guitar, it's more fun and you will learn other stuff too! I've heard a few students say that they found some benefit from these kinds of devices, but I'm sure that they would have got the same or more benefit doing an exercise like this. Maybe those strange people who live near a park yet prefer to run on a treadmill like using them, I guess...

Justin's words, not mine.

Try this instead, and read the text, don't just watch the vid

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-135-FingerWorkout.php

I'm over 60 too. It's no excuse ;)
Guitars. Fender Highway 1 Tele: Fender Shortboard LE Mustang: Ibanez AS73 semi-hollow: Ibanez SR370 bass: Squier Affinity Strat: Squier Jagmaster.

Offline Fluffy

• Good Vibes 0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 05:36:03 pm »
Thank you, I understand the rationale, and I have bought the beginners course and watched many of the Video's.

I should have been a bit more explicit. I travel often and I am often away from home for weeks on end. I also spend many hours in aircraft.

I was looking for something for when I have no access to a guitar.
Cheers

The nice thing about Fridays - it's only two more days till Monday. 😂

Offline DarrellW

• Stadium Superstar
  • Good Vibes 42
  • What next???
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 05:42:42 pm »
The best exercise I've found for fingers is to take a sheet from one of the largest tabloids and put your palm in the middle of one edge, use your fingers only to make a ball from the whole sheet and compress it as hard as possible. Repeat until the tabloid is all scrunched up - Daily Telegraph is good!!!
HTH
p.s. It was exercise recommended by my physio when I damaged the tendons in my hand.
Freshman Apollo 4OC, 1970 Terada G703 classical, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele; 1963 USA strat.
Soprano, Concert and Tenor Ukes Amazon specials! Makala Bass Uke.
Blackstar ID Core Beam. FX: Electro harmonix 720 Looper, Zoom 505 II, Bespeco Volume pedal.

Offline willsie01

• Pub Night Playa
  • Good Vibes 3
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 06:07:57 pm »
I've got to try the newspaper thing, it sounds great.

On the other point, I agree that it's better to do any finger exercises on your guitar but for those moments it's not quite to hand (like on trains, planes, etc.) other ideas can't harm.
Look at it as a bit of cross-training, which I understand is highly recommended.

KR

Get The Forum As A Mobile App